News   May 03, 2024
 746     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 483     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 243     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Though I have to say most of the cooked food from T&T looked better than it tasted (bland).

AoD

All I remember what was great about T&T's hot food section was the prices were determined by the amount of food you took and they charge you by the weight. But it has been a while.

Their hand-rolled rice balls were amazing though.

All I remember what was great about T&T's hot food section was the prices were determined by the amount of food you took and they charge you by the weight. But it has been a while.

Their hand-rolled rice balls were amazing though.

It still is - though the prices aren't that cheap either.

Their hand-rolled rice balls (savory ones?) are all pre-made now - I remember it used to be made-to-order with a huge variety of fillings. No more.

AoD

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - it just comes with the standard fillings now (fried doughstick, pork floss, preserved mustard and hard boiled soy egg). Not cheap either - at $5 or so.

AoD

I don't know why this filling combo doesn't make me wanna go "drooling". It looks like they just want to feed us cheap fillings.

Country Style Hungarian Restaurant is closing after 60 years.

They stated it was retirement but I suspect economic factors came into play. As of 2 years ago there were plans for the owners daughter to take over.

Screenshot_20230615_153919_Facebook.jpg

Country Style Hungarian Restaurant is closing after 60 years.

They stated it was retirement but I suspect economic factors came into play. As of 2 years ago there were plans for the owners daughter to take over.

View attachment 485468
That's unfortunate since it was the last holdout of the Hungarian presence in the Annex. I went there quite a few times over the years, and I don't like seeing yet another traditional central European restaurant disappear because there seem to be so few of them downtown now...

That being said however, I haven't gone there since about 2017. My last time there I was a bit disappointed that a basic schnitzel was priced around 20 bucks, which is excessive considering that they only appear to be huge (in reality they are paper thin) and come with very bland sides. I imagine that they would have raised prices even more since then, and this is not fine dining.

If you want awesome schnitzel and goulash, go to Cafe Polonez on Roncesvalles.

It looks like there are two new restaurants in the works.

DaNico by Liberty Entertainment on College and Bathurst.

Another speakeasy but we lose a neighbourhood essential in the popular Ossington aka Laundromat

Google Images suggests the site was for lease on the date posted in the photo.

Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 12.47.38 PM.png

Now as of June 10th...

and the speakeasy!

Me too. Corporate life is so soul sucking.
Speak of the devil i came across this!

""Having a great time with great people is the most valuable thing in our lives" says owner Steven, who left behind his corporate lifestyle after feeling uninspired by superficial goods and pursued Asian-inspired cafe culture instead."

However, careful what one wish for...

Back