News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 976     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 367     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

This is quite interesting a popular Greek fare on Ossington applied for a minor variance application..

"To convert the second level, of the mixed-use building, into an eating establishment (restaurant extension of the ground level eating establishment)."

devapp: http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=yrE4MkmzxWU3frkEn8THHQ==

The committee of adjustment as of 3PM March 8 has approved the minor variance for this property at 88 Ossington.

Across from Mamakas, Above Koukla.​

Trapezi, translated to ‘table’ in Greek, is the embodiment of Mediterranean hospitality and celebration, encapsulating the entirety of Mamakas Food Group in one exclusive, private dining room.Born out of the need to create a space to cultivate an elevated dining experience for our guests, Trapezi is changing the notion of what is quintessential Aegean hospitality and cuisine.

I stopped eating Wendy’s burgers when they all started having cheese by default. I never really liked cheese on burgers, especially cheap American slices that are add-ons elsewhere for 75 cents to a dollar 50. I know I could ask for it without, but why should I pay a premium for something I don’t want anyway?

McDonalds is the same. A&W is the basic go-to for me if I want a fast food burger; they’re really easy to find these days too downtown.

Looks like a new Korean Street meat restaurant is coming soon to Spadina and Bloor @ 417 Bloor St. where a bubble tea place once stood and a price by weight frozen yogurt place before that.
This will be the third business now in less than ten years. All I can say is good luck to them!

This is now finally open!

The prices aren't appetizing either... 45 bucks for a vegan square pizza, add $6 for gluten free crust. Better be damn good pizza for those prices!

https://order.toasttab.com/online/prince-street-pizza-canada-427-front-street-west

Look, this vegan crap trend just gotta stop! I know it is a super unpopular opinion but man if you are going to a pizza shop looking for a vegan option 🤦🤦🤦 it is the equivalent of going to a steak house asking for the vegan option. The cooks are just gonna roll their eyes at you.

Last edited:
Look this vegan crap trend just gotta stop! I know it is a super unpopular opinion but man if you are going to a pizza shop looking for a vegan option 🤦🤦🤦 it is the equivalent of going to a steak house asking for the vegan option. The cooks are just gonna roll their eyes at you.
That's an interesting comparison though as a steakhouse really should have everything on hand in their regular inventory to make a perfectly delicious vegan entree, they wouldn't need to have a separate special inventory for it, and since a lot of steakhouse business is from group dining, where you have people invited that don't necessarily have a say on the choice of where to go, they should expect it to come up and have an easy standard option available. The cooks shouldn't roll their eyes at that. It should be like any other order.

For the pizza place though, it is an odd situation as most or all orders are takeout or delivery where people generally do have full choice, and it also shouldn't be more expensive unless maybe they are using special ingredients like "vegan cheese" which is expensive, but it's easy to make a pizza vegan by having no cheese however almost no shops give you a discount for having no cheese despite it being the most expensive topping, so you don't see vegans going for pizza very often. It's an odd market quirk that you must pay for cheese on pizza whether you have it or not.

Last edited:
Eataly is opening a third location at Shops of Don Mills! I thought that they would open in the west end of downtown on King. I know nothing! Lol

Oh Mark (McEwan) is going to be thrilled, LOL

While competing supermarkets can actually be complimentary to a point, driving additional traffic, there's alot of overlap from McEwan to Eataly in fresh pasta, sauces, and HMR (Home Meal Replacement)

Mark already has Metro in the same space, but they don't really overlap all that much.

Also interesting........Toronto supporting more Eataly locations than any urban region on the planet, except for Tokyo.

I go to Wheataly regularly; obviously not to eat there but to buy fresh fish and seafood - great selection, and occasionally meat (though to be fair, they do carry some gluten-free dry pasta), and the now-closed McEwan at Yonge and Bloor was not a serious competitor for those products.

The Y&B outpost of McEwan was always terrible; it was too small, too hidden, no natural light, poor selection/depth.........just not a good move by him. If he had pulled an Eataly, a highly visible ground floor entrance to a second level, at 3x the ft2, he probably could have done well.

McEwan's Don Mills out post has decent seafood offer, not as large as some might like, but good quality.

Taken today Oct 29!

I wonder is this is a new bowling venue or a restaurant.

Located at 1 Bloor st e

20231029_175444.jpg

Back