News   Jul 17, 2024
 535     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 634     0 

Regency Yorkville (Plazacorp/HiRise, 18s, Turner Fleischer) COMPLETE

No, not worse, about the same. Jerkville's house style is quite conflicted these days, a cage match between pastiche and neo-Modern.

I walk past this building every day and can't get over how incredibly drab it is. Drab grey pre-cast with drab grey window frames. It needs something to bring some life, some contrast to it. I thought the same thing when 1 St. Thomas was going up - beige pre-cast with beige windows, but then they added those black accents here and there and it made all the difference.

I walk past the TD Centre every day and can't get over how incredibly drab it is. Drab black metal facia with drab black windows and frames. It needs something to bring some life, some contrast to it.

Hmmmm. The way I see it, streetlife if all about contrasting buildings and uses. I find NOTHING wrong with this building, grey and all. I think it will work just fine when completed. After all, the completely black, 5 tower TD Centre complex is pretty drab and mono-chromatic. Everyone seems to love that city block.

I know, I know. You are all going to go on about how those towers bring life to the financial district, and how this condo will not accomplish anything that the TD Centre does, so they shouldnt be compared, blah blah blah.

Jdot - does the 'blah blah blah' refer to what others write on this forum, or are you just summing up at the end of your post?

I guess for TD-lovers, "Jdiot" might be as apt a corruption as "Jerkville"...

I wonder what retail will go into the Regency?

Here's my prediction: Second Cup, maybe Juice for Life, Gap for Grownups;) and a Holt's Express--ie mail order for those too lazy to walk to Bloor St!

Seriously, the Regency is begging for a sister development next door--there's a reason the Second Cup etc are located next door--to be moved into the Regency retail strip whilst their old premises are knocked down and redeveloped into...the Dominion.

I totally forgot about this project..all the good press for the Hazelton Yorkville cant be hurting sales for this generic condo at the corner of the very same street.

September 9th Update:

1353135902_43ac976b1a_b.jpg

1352249121_8ebb723e3c_b.jpg

1353137812_c5307272d7_b.jpg

"They fit in well. No worse than the other buildings in the surrounding area such as Minto Yorkville, Stern Building or Prince Arthur."

At times the chat on this site can be intimidating or, better, enlightening to fellows like myself sans fine arts degree. Fortunately, once in a while, someone drops the ball. Regency as good as Prince Arthur or One St Thomas? Get real.

"No, not worse, about the same. Jerkville's house style is quite conflicted these days, a cage match between pastiche and neo-Modern."

"Jerkville" - what persona are you adopting when you lunge for a table in Yorkville as you prepare to "not recognize" A-list celebrities. Maybe you're not seeing them because you're keeping your head down hoping the staff won't recognize you've been nursing the same Shirley Temple all afternoon...

Well, I would think that by now, purchasers in the Regency would be looking over at 1 St. Thomas, and experiencing a bit of buyers' remorse.

At least the north-east corner doesn't look too bad..

Back