News   Jul 17, 2024
 515     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 624     0 

Regency Yorkville (Plazacorp/HiRise, 18s, Turner Fleischer) COMPLETE

The Regency: the poorman's 1 St Thomas?

I wonder how long that ugly 70's thing just north of the Regency will last. It'll be tough getting zoning approval for anything as massive as the Regency further north thanks to all the lowrise Victorians in the area; but I often wonder/wish the dense streetwall could be extended up (and beyond?) to Davenport/Dupont. I'm thinking a 6-8 storey MOZO-style building mass would be appropriate here.

I'll assume you mean the three-and-a-half floor office building on the northwest corner of Bay and Scollard. Very small lot. North of it lies the playground of Jesse Ketchum Public School, the same place where the parents' association went apeshit over the Four Seasons' impending shadow. They got several million dollars of playground upgrades out of it.

I doubt the there will be any other changes soon north of Scollard along Bay.

Any expansion of Yorkville should focus on the east side of Bay and the Cumberland Terrace. - I remember a while back we saw a proposal for a redevelopment on the Mall on this website.

490631986_94127f3d1a_b.jpg

"Why is everyone all over this building? The cladding hasn't even been installed yet."

I thought that WAS the problem, cladding is up especially on the north side and it doesn't look good. The windows are especially shabby.

tdsb could sell public school property...

...to a developer. New public school moved somewhere else or placed on base of condo tower with "school yard" on top of podium? Now that sounds rather too NYC-like for good old T-Dot but you never know! I can see a day when that scenario may come true.

Nice shot there--have you seen how expensive a suite is in that kitschy minto yorkville building? ($7500/month for a 2 bedroom. Nuts imho!) That area could do with some nice retail+more pedestrians. On Sunday was enjoying the sites of gorgeous rich (or more likely suburban fakes!) women from yorkville park. I had this thought: the awkward retail complex next to Regency has gotta go--soon. Maybe developer owns that site too for phase two? In fact, all that crappy 70's yorkville retail junk could disappear and be replaced with quality midrises. (Basement retail just doesn't work in Toronto.) Then there's a few 60's office buildings that shall be imploded (;) for redevelopment....

Indeed there are a lot of 60's and 70's office blocks that I wouldn't mind imploding. Buildings that were part of toronto's little-big city phase that today seem out of place.

I thought that WAS the problem, cladding is up especially on the north side and it doesn't look good. The windows are especially shabby.

Yes, true true, you mentioned this in your first post.

I have yet to see it (pre-cast cladding) for myself either in pictures or person. I will hold back my opinion till i get a look as well.

As far as the building fitting into the surroundings, I think its doing a pretty good job, blending into the nieghbourhood, as it doesn't look as out of place as many here have commented. In the picture above its very much twinning the Minto building across the street. Again just my opinions.

I do like the setbacks at the top and I wish more developers would do this. It gives the skyline added shape without tacky spires and crowns.

...to a developer. New public school moved somewhere else or placed on base of condo tower with "school yard" on top of podium? Now that sounds rather too NYC-like for good old T-Dot but you never know! I can see a day when that scenario may come true.
If you're advocating the redevelopment of Jesse Ketchum, you be asking for a tar'n'feathering, disembowellment, whatever...

Photos by Sir Novelty Fashion

Taken from his original thread to be found here:
http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=5935

Now we come to Yorkville Regency, which is busy testing the theory that the rich really will buy anything, as long as it's expensive enough.

Notice the varying treatment of the vertical elements.

I counted four different shades of grey between different sections of the shiny stone cladding at the base. What is that stuff?

I did a big tour of entire downtown developments myself this afternoon (without camera) and noted to myself--the regency looks okay! It reminds me of those concrete buildings lining University Ave--inoffensive, solid buildings that enhance the urban streetwall along Bay (and U) St. Not trendy modernism that's for certain, but still not totally disastrous like (imo) LV, even ROCP or those Minto buildings.

In the Hume rating system, so far i'm leaning towards a B- (and i'm a really tough critic with all things design related.) Final assessment to be given by me on completion of the Regency. Stay tuned....

Back