News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 624     0 

Regency Yorkville (Plazacorp/HiRise, 18s, Turner Fleischer) COMPLETE

Rendering

Here's another

Whattadump

Why is everyone all over this building? The cladding hasn't even been installed yet.

It would be hard to make a judgement based on cartoon renderings and construction pics alone.

I'm really quite indifferent about it. It's a predictable design for the area, along the same lines as the nearby minto building. It would of course be better if they make some effort with the exterior finishes rather than the usual precast panelling.

Regency appears as such a dogs breakfast of styles and finishes and volumes in its renderings, which is why a few of us are so all-over-it. At least Minto next door, while still historicist, has a unity to it, and pleasing proportions.

If they apply some quality materials at ground level, the building may be pleasant to walk by when all is said and done, but the overall design means that from a distance, this place will always look like the poorly designed kitsch palace that it is.

I think this building is unfairly getting a rough treatment here. With quality materials, which I would expect at these prices, it has the potential to be quite pleasant. I don't see that much more 'kitch' than its neighbour (Minto Yorkville) across the street has, which is a very successful development, IMHO. It probably won't be fantastic but the opinions here seem way over the top.

The height, massing and style of this building are remarkably similar to that of 100 Yorkville, which seems very well liked around these parts.

100 Yorkville is by Hariri Pontarini, so while the scale may be similar, it certainly won't look like the reheated historic leftovers of the Regency

I'm agreeing with this mystery man, whoever he is.

I'm waiting for some more construction progress before I declare judgement. - I have a feeling I'm going to like it, if for nothing else than it will create a more intimate and urban feel further north on Bay, than current.

Nice avatar Cal - I rubbed shoulders with your Mr.Black in the fancy lounge when the opera house opened ... though Babs kept me at bay.

And talking of Bay, what a blight this building will be. How many more of these bloated faux monstrosities do we have to accept? I do hope the new design review process we're getting will make them obsolete.

Back