News   Jul 26, 2024
 799     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Project Niagara DEAD (Niagara-On-The-Lake)

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
Please move this if there is a more appropriate thread but since it concerns such an important Toronto institution and a noted local firm and will be used mostly by people in the city, I thought I'd throw caution to the wind.

Symphony awaits its Tanglewood

Nov 08, 2007 04:30 AM
Martin Knelman

They're calling it by a code name, Project Niagara. A more revealing name would be Tanglewood North.

You have not heard about it before because no one is ready to announce anything.

But the National Arts Centre and the Toronto Symphony Orchestra are joining forces to create a major new summer music festival and tourist attraction.

It will be located not in Toronto or Ottawa but in Niagara, where it should make beautiful synergy with the Shaw Festival and Canada's most fruitful wine country.

The outdoor concert venue would include a covered stage area and some covered seating areas, but most people in the audience would sit on an uncovered lawn area, as they do at Tanglewood (the much-loved summer home of the Boston Symphony in northwest Massachusetts) and at Frank Gehry's stupendous new Pritzker bandshell in Chicago's Millennium Park.

"We are aiming for something first-class with the clout and international reputation of Tanglewood," says Peter Herrndorf, CEO of the National Arts Centre.

"We are still working on feasibility studies, but if all goes well we would aim for opening in 2011 or 2012."

Herrndorf and Andrew Shaw of the TSO have been working on the scheme for about two years, with the help of a $75,000 grant from the Ontario government.

"We see it as a destination cultural attraction," says Kari Cullen, a Montreal-based consultant who has been hired by the two organizations to develop a plan, along with Toronto-based consultant Jon Linton.

"We need a gorgeous site where we can not only present concerts of top calibre but also show off the glorious natural beauty of Niagara's flora and fauna, and tell the story of its rich history," Cullen says.

So far the project is still a feasibility study, but it has progressed way beyond a pipe dream and seems to have unstoppable momentum.

KPMB, the Toronto architecture firm responsible for designing many of Toronto's recent arts projects – including new homes for the National Ballet School, the Royal Conservatory of Music and the Toronto International Film Festival Group – has been hired to do a rough sketch of a building.

According to Herrndorf, the festival would operate from mid-May to late September, with the NAC Orchestra (led by Pinchas Zukerman) and the TSO (led by Peter Oundjian) the featured attraction for several weeks each.

A major Toronto fundraising firm has been contracted to come up with a plan for raising money. No budget number has been established, but it is likely to be well over $50 million but less than $100 million. Help would be needed from both Ottawa and Queen's Park, and local wineries might be expected to contribute on the private side.

Both the NAC and the TSO would be represented on the board of the new organization.

"It would be a plus-plus for us to have another cultural institution in the area," says Jackie Maxwell, artistic director of the Shaw Festival. "I'm sure it would attract new people from the music world, and that would be great for us."

and:

Nov 14, 2007 04:30 AM
Martin Knelman

This may well be Canada's most alluring future waterfront complex: a scenic wonderland featuring three lagoons as well as a historic site. It is spread across 264 acres just west of Niagara-on-the-Lake, bounded by Lake Ontario and Lakeshore Rd.

Officially owned by Parks Canada but controlled for the past century by the Department of National Defence, this prime land is ready for a metamorphosis. And it has been targeted by the National Arts Centre and the Toronto Symphony Orchestra as the perfect location for an ambitious new summer music festival that would draw nature-loving classical music devotees from all over the world.

As reported last week in this column, the NAC's CEO, Peter Herrndorf, and Andrew Shaw of the TSO have been hatching a scheme to create a summer home that would feature both their orchestras.

Everyone involved has been tight-lipped about potential sites, but insiders are abuzz about the defence department site, which has no official name and is known locally simply as "old army land."

For years much of it has been unused. What makes it precious is its unique combination of natural beauty and historic significance. It was here that American forces landed in 1813 on the way to what turned out to be the definitive battle of the War of 1812 at Fort George.

In fact, the property is divided into several sections with distinct identities. On the far west is a park called Niagara Shores, where you can commune with nature or walk your dog. This area, run by Parks Canada and open to the public, is likely to be kept as it is.

Adjacent to Niagara Shores on the park's east side is an old army training spot known officially as Area C. It borders on a magnificent forest featuring rare oaks, but it has been closed for years. More than half a century ago, this is where Canadian soldiers being prepared for the Korean War got their basic training.

To the east of Area C is a tract of land with three beautiful lagoons currently used for sewage by the municipal government of Niagara Region, which administers it.

This is probably the most desirable location for Tanglewood North, which would be anchored by a 2,000-seat covered bandshell but open on one side so that the music would flow beyond the protected seating area to reach others sitting on the lawns with blankets and folding chairs. Another site would be needed for sewage.

On the eastern edge of the army land is an abandoned rifle range, which has been closed and gated in recent times. Because it is close to a residential area near Shakespeare Ave., this section is regarded as less appropriate for a bandshell.

Before any commitment can be made about the future use of this land, it has to be decommissioned and cleaned up by the Department of National Defence and turned over to Parks Canada, according to Chris Zoetewey, technical services operator for the Niagara National Historic Sites division of Parks Canada.

"The next stage would be to do an assessment of what this land could be used for while respecting the guidelines and priorities of Parks Canada and preserving its heritage," he says.

"Ultimately that decision would be up to the federal minister of the environment."

Gary Burroughs, mayor of Niagara-on-the-Lake, says the idea of creating a music festival on this land is exciting, but he warns: "There are also major challenges, such as traffic. But I hope there's a decision soon about the music festival so we can deal with facts."

The NAC and TSO have hired a fundraiser to do a feasibility study and contracted KPMB to do rough architectural drawings.

But can they persuade the federal government to give them the land at a price they can afford?

I predict a positive outcome. It's too good an opportunity to pass up.

Memo to NAC conductor Pinchas Zukerman and TSO conductor Peter Oundjian: the opening concert in June 2012 should climax with Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.

Ooh, exciting. NOTL and the rest of Niagara may be swamped by tourists already, but it's always seemed to me that it had a lot more potential. With the exception of the Shaw and the Vintage Inns the whole experience seems slightly low-class when it could be world renowned.

Agreed. Walking through Niagara-on-the-Lake has always seemed like walking through Disneyland. There is something about it that just seems forced and artificial. That said, the whole area is beautiful and lends itself to tourism, for a list of obvious reasons, and this would provide one more attraction, and a unique one. Hope this comes about.

Agreed. Walking through Niagara-on-the-Lake has always seemed like walking through Disneyland. There is something about it that just seems forced and artificial. That said, the whole area is beautiful and lends itself to tourism, for a list of obvious reasons, and this would provide one more attraction, and a unique one. Hope this comes about.

The beauty of NOTL has to be appreciated away from the main street. Walk along the side streets and enjoy the gardens in the spring and summer, or the fall colours in autumn. There are lots of parks, churches, heritage sites and gorgeous old homes that are far removed from the tourists and fudge shops of Queen Street. The Shaw Festival at this time of year makes a nice detour as well. The pubs and restaurants are quieter and it's easier and faster to get served between performances.

From Toronto Star 16-1-2008

NIAGARA's TANGLEWOOD

Tanglewood North – my nickname for a proposed summer musical festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake – is no longer hidden under a veil of secrecy.

As I reported two months ago, the National Arts Centre and the Toronto Symphony Orchestra have been joining forces to create a partly outdoor concert venue the NAC Orchestra and the TSO would call home for several weeks every summer.

This week the project got a big boost when federal Justice Minister and Attorney General Rob Nicholson (the MP for Niagara Falls) announced that Parks Canada has reached an agreement with the TSO and the NAC to explore the idea "of building a world-class amphitheatre on Parks Canada land, known as the Lakeshore property."

According to Nicholson, the federal government is very excited. The site, used as a military rifle-firing range until about 50 years ago, is part of a large chunk of land with historical significance for being one of the landing zones of the U.S. army for the Battle of Fort George and subsequent invasion of Canada in the War of 1812.

The proposal has also earned the support of the local council. But it is still in the feasibility-study stage. Projected opening date: 2012.

"I'm very optimistic," says Peter Herrndorf, CEO of the NAC. "It's a great signal that the federal government has given us. There's a great deal of enthusiasm on all sides. But of course we have a long way to go."

Tim brings up points that anyone living nearby would naturally want addressed.

It is a quiet, beautiful area that this project is being proposed in, and I cannot imagine that the proponents are expecting anything less than a rough ride from those living nearby, and frankly, the locals should give it to them.

Whatever plan is initially proposed will have to be very sensitive to avoid being substantially changed. The proponents might as well aim high when they release their first plan, and then let the process occur: the plan will be debated and modified.

I cannot imagine that in the end it will be built for such large numbers, and I am looking forward to what might be achieved here if the proponents and the locals can work toward a more modestly scaled and environmentally sensitive 'Tanglewood North'.

Ooh, exciting. NOTL and the rest of Niagara may be swamped by tourists already, but it's always seemed to me that it had a lot more potential. With the exception of the Shaw and the Vintage Inns the whole experience seems slightly low-class when it could be world renowned.
It is nice to hear from Torontonians giving their views about OUR neighbourhood, how about us in Niagara on the Lake using Toronto's methods of curbing traffic through YOUR neighbourhoods...(see: Cedarvale)..speed bumps, one way streets and stop signs every 50ft. How's that working for ya? There is no infrastructure in Niagara on the Lake (NOTL) for this size of venue. You'll love having to park your $60,000.00 Lexus 5 miles away in our high school park lot with no security while waiting to be shuttled in groups in a Jitney!!! How romantic does Niagara on the Lake sound now? The venue is planned to seat 4000 people, not 2000, but rather 2000 cars; one road in and one road out...you figure it out. You won't need a hotel because the traffic congestion will be so bad you may as well just sleep in your Lexus!!! No local residents have ever been given an opportunity to see an official plan which obviously leads NOTL residents to be skeptical. The houses that border Project Niagara also border historic battleground of 1812 ("Old Army Land???). This is where the troops landed and there are munitions and it is a burial ground of historical significance. DIG AWAY AT OUR HISTORY...DIG AWAY AT OUR PEACEFUL NEIGHBOURHOODS...DIG AWAY AT CHAUTAUQUA...HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF CHAUTAUQUA...GUESS NOT. BUT THAT'S WHERE WE LIVE....AND IT WON'T BE IN OUR BACKYARD. YOU CAN BANK ON A LOCAL UPROAR AS WE ARE AN ENVIRONMENTALLY CONSCIENCE NEIGHBOURHOOD. You think you can come into our town, ruin our neighbourhoods, use our facilities, but once it's all built up maybe we can re-name the town...Niagara on the Take!!!

Niagara on the Lake NIMBY

I guess this is the thread where Torontonians can discuss my fate (Niagara on the Lake). We will ensure that Niagara on the Lake residents are invited to your forum. Thanks for letting Niagara on the Lake's residents voices to be heard in Toronto.

It is nice to hear from Torontonians giving their views about OUR neighbourhood, how about us in Niagara on the Lake using Toronto's methods of curbing traffic through YOUR neighbourhoods...(see: Cedarvale)..speed bumps, one way streets and stop signs every 50ft. How's that working for ya? There is no infrastructure in Niagara on the Lake (NOTL) for this size of venue. You'll love having to park your $60,000.00 Lexus 5 miles away in our high school park lot with no security while waiting to be shuttled in groups in a Jitney!!! How romantic does Niagara on the Lake sound now? The venue is planned to seat 4000 people, not 2000, but rather 2000 cars; one road in and one road out...you figure it out. You won't need a hotel because the traffic congestion will be so bad you may as well just sleep in your Lexus!!! No local residents have ever been given an opportunity to see an official plan which obviously leads NOTL residents to be skeptical. The houses that border Project Niagara also border historic battleground of 1812 ("Old Army Land???). This is where the troops landed and there are munitions and it is a burial ground of historical significance. DIG AWAY AT OUR HISTORY...DIG AWAY AT OUR PEACEFUL NEIGHBOURHOODS...DIG AWAY AT CHAUTAUQUA...HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF CHAUTAUQUA...GUESS NOT. BUT THAT'S WHERE WE LIVE....AND IT WON'T BE IN OUR BACKYARD. YOU CAN BANK ON A LOCAL UPROAR AS WE ARE AN ENVIRONMENTALLY CONSCIENCE NEIGHBOURHOOD. You think you can come into our town, ruin our neighbourhoods, use our facilities, but once it's all built up maybe we can re-name the town...Niagara on the Take!!!

I lived in Niagara-on-the-Lake until 5 months ago and all my family still live there and as such am down there every month THANK-YOU-VERY-MUCH! I know Chautauqua very well as I have walked through it many times and I have former coworkers who still live there. If you frequented Tim Hortons, Hendriks, or Butler's, I wouldn't be surprised if you would recognise me. I've chatted with people on both sides of the Jetboat controversy and have weighed the pros and cons and agree that the town dock wasn't an appropriate location for such a facility. It's certainly MY neighbourhood as well.

Though I'm sure you won't care about that, as you seem more than willing to make wild and absurd assumptions of everyone. For that matter, how could we on this forum even know how large of a facility this was supposed to be? Show me where in the articles above where it states the facility size? For all we knew, this was to be a facility no larger than another Royal George theatre. If you had stated your concerns and worries about maintaining the character of your community, I'm sure you would have found plenty of understanding on this forum. Torontonians are not a different breed... they would be concerned about a multi-thousand person facility opening up in their residential neighbourhood as well!

Please feel free to discuss. If all you wish to do is accuse people of crimes they are innocent of, please go elsewhere. Perhaps Gary Burroughs's office.

From Toronto Star 16-1-2008

NIAGARA's TANGLEWOOD

Tanglewood North – my nickname for a proposed summer musical festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake – is no longer hidden under a veil of secrecy.

As I reported two months ago, the National Arts Centre and the Toronto Symphony Orchestra have been joining forces to create a partly outdoor concert venue the NAC Orchestra and the TSO would call home for several weeks every summer.

This week the project got a big boost when federal Justice Minister and Attorney General Rob Nicholson (the MP for Niagara Falls) announced that Parks Canada has reached an agreement with the TSO and the NAC to explore the idea "of building a world-class amphitheatre on Parks Canada land, known as the Lakeshore property."

According to Nicholson, the federal government is very excited. The site, used as a military rifle-firing range until about 50 years ago, is part of a large chunk of land with historical significance for being one of the landing zones of the U.S. army for the Battle of Fort George and subsequent invasion of Canada in the War of 1812.

The proposal has also earned the support of the local council. But it is still in the feasibility-study stage. Projected opening date: 2012.

"I'm very optimistic," says Peter Herrndorf, CEO of the NAC. "It's a great signal that the federal government has given us. There's a great deal of enthusiasm on all sides. But of course we have a long way to go."

The NOTL Town Council may support the project but they have neglected to inform the residents who border the proposed site with any factual information or proposed site plan. The local residents are very concerned about the increased traffic, massive parking lots, noise, (every evening in our backyards), and we haven't had a chance to be involved in the current discourse. This frustrates me. There was one public meeting to date and an individual from the TSO was present and only the NOTL Town Council was able to speak and ask questions; the locals in attendance were not permitted to ask questions. That was a slap in the face to the people who live in the area in "question". How do they think the residents of Chautauqua (bordering Project Niagara) are going to feel if the can't get any facts or information on what's going on in their own backyards!!! Everyone's views must be heard.

I lived in Niagara-on-the-Lake until 5 months ago and all my family still live there and as such am down there every month THANK-YOU-VERY-MUCH! I know Chautauqua very well as I have walked through it many times and I have former coworkers who still live there. If you frequented Tim Hortons, Hendriks, or Butler's, I wouldn't be surprised if you would recognise me. I've chatted with people on both sides of the Jetboat controversy and have weighed the pros and cons and agree that the town dock wasn't an appropriate location for such a facility. It's certainly MY neighbourhood as well.

Though I'm sure you won't care about that, as you seem more than willing to make wild and absurd assumptions of everyone. For that matter, how could we on this forum even know how large of a facility this was supposed to be? Show me where in the articles above where it states the facility size? For all we knew, this was to be a facility no larger than another Royal George theatre. If you had stated your concerns and worries about maintaining the character of your community, I'm sure you would have found plenty of understanding on this forum. Torontonians are not a different breed... they would be concerned about a multi-thousand person facility opening up in their residential neighbourhood as well!

Please feel free to discuss. If all you wish to do is accuse people of crimes they are innocent of, please go elsewhere. Perhaps Gary Burroughs's office.

It is nice to learn that you lived in NOTL and continue to visit but as you've noted on your profile you now live in St Clair West and not subject to 250,000 tourists per year in your backyard. It is proposed to be a 4000 seat amphitheatre with ground seating and a parking lot to hold 2000 cars. It was never discussed that Project Niagara would the size of a Royal George Theatre, the locals initally found out about this project through the Toronto Star, and not our own Town Council. Do you think that something the size of the Royal George would ever be considered for an International Venue for the TSO and NAC costing hundreds of millions of dollars? In my post I mentioned the concerns that locals have about the traffic, the noise, the congestion, the lack of infrastructure etc...and we don't want to end up with an amusement park with one road in and one road out, like so many poorly planned projects that have spoiled other small communities. We lived in Toronto, love Toronto, continue to visit Toronto, as you continue to visit NOTL, but we moved here to Chautauqua backing onto a forest, near the lake for a reason; we wanted peace. A project of this magnitude will destroy our community and the other communities of Garrison Village, The Village, and the residents on Lakeshore Road. I loved and continue to love Toronto but I live here now for a reason and don't want them to..."pave paradise and put up a parking lot...." Living where you live in Cedarvale you should understand more than anyone what traffic problems can do to a nice neighbourhood such as yours. Remember the Allen Expressway...lots of traffic with nowhere to go. Thanks.

You clearly have no interest in drumming up support for your cause and are instead using this as a platform to vent your spleen. You post as if the members of this forum are personally responsible for foisting this project on to you. I fail to see what purpose that serves.

Some sort of mass transit project or electric train coupled with driving restrictions could help the situation. The cars could be left further away from the area. Plus, a train could have a romantic quality to it. Most likely no one is ready to commit to such an ambitious project. Still, it can be considered.

Back