News   Apr 18, 2024
 457     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.5K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

President Joe Biden's United States of America

Part of the gun culture is that the solution to school mass shootings is to drill kids on active shooter scenarios, which I think is more harmful than beneficial, and design schools like fortresses. Anything but addressing root causes.

And/or arming faculty and staff, in some cases mandating it.

I think some underestimate the degree of this cultural difference. It just is not a thing in Canada to think of a gun as a normal solution for self defense, security, or handling conflict. Canada and the US are very similar in so many ways that when we come across some of these areas of major difference it is very jarring/causes culture shock.
My wife’s Toronto-born 35 y/o cousin moved to Charlotte, NC to open a chiropractic practice. She’d never seen a gun in her life. But she met and married a former US Marine and recently posted to FB her latest acquisition, a Glock handgun with a concealed carry purse, along, with pics at the shooting range, long blonde hair, looking like Barbie. Her post essentially said, I’m an American now.

I used to police not too far from a border crossing and fairly often we would have occasion to search a US vehicle and find a handgun. When asked, they readily say they declared this or that hunting rifle, shotgun, etc. but never thought to mention the handgun. It equated to a toothbrush or watch; it's not a 'weapon', it's a possession (and one they are constitutionally allowed to have).

I used to police not too far from a border crossing and fairly often we would have occasion to search a US vehicle and find a handgun. When asked, they readily say they declared this or that hunting rifle, shotgun, etc. but never thought to mention the handgun. It equated to a toothbrush or watch; it's not a 'weapon', it's a possession (and one they are constitutionally allowed to have).

Ya, wild, eh? Granted, it is not a free-for-all crossing into the US with a firearm (although returning US citizens have an easier time of it), it is curious that a toy-inside-a-candy or a single joint is the devil's handiwork, but an estimated 72 million handguns apparently isn't a concern.

Didn't see this until today, but the ruling came down Friday, I believe, a U.S. judge in Texas has overturned the FDA's 20-year old approval of mifepristone, colloquially, the abortion pill.

The ruling is currently stayed, pending appeal (which I feel fairly certain there will be).......

With abortion ripping the Republicans apart, is this a good opportunity for Biden to step down and not run in Nov 2024? Instead allow a popular younger Democrat take the nomination? Unless it’s someone utterly unelectable like Harris or god forbid another Clinton run, the Dems should be able to trounce Trump.

Back