News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

I would chalk that up to usual posturing, and not a real commitment.
It was much more definitive than previous statements but did seem to single out Doug as being the real 'red line' so I suppose it could be 'spun' if another (less-divisive) person replaced him - though god knows who among his useless cabinet THAT could be.

It was much more definitive than previous statements but did seem to single out Doug as being the real 'red line' so I suppose it could be 'spun' if another (less-divisive) person replaced him - though god knows who among his useless cabinet THAT could be.

Christine Elliott? Useless or not, she would be a natural in that scenario.

AoD

I've said here several times that he would make an excellent scapegoat for the Party's needs should it come to that. He's never been personally popular or well-liked; People didn't vote for for him last time so much as they voted against Wynne. He was extremely lucky in that regard. So why shouldn't the Tories use the same strategy the Liberals did when they substituted Wynne for McGuinty? After all, it actually worked, at least for the space of a single election. A neat little detail that can hardly have escaped the Cons' attention. And if good ol' Thug looks like a liability...

Furthermore, he's loyal to absolutely no-one and nothing but himself, so why should anyone else in the Party feel anything in the way of loyalty to him? Depending on what he's actually like to work with (I suspect it's not pleasant), he's probably made any number of enemies within the Party itself. A team player, he ain't. And getting rid of him can be spun as dumping a problematic figure in favor of somebody more reasonable, more appealing, more "mainstream" (or seemingly so) and certainly somebody more telegenic. Alvin's right: Christine Elliott would fit that role to a T.

I just wonder if Ford realizes how expendable he is. If things do indeed go in this direction, it wouldn't surprise me if he was completely sidelined by such a turn of events. He's a dumb bastard, ain't he?

Dislike Ford and his policies, but yeah no violence please, just vote their ascies out of office. Violence will lead to sympathy votes.

Agreed, but given Ford's history of shenanigans, one can't help speculating how real this is. This may sound a little too 'tin-foil hat', but it wouldn't shock me to learn he arranged the entire thing himself. He's certainly capable of it.

Agreed, but given Ford's history of shenanigans, one can't help speculating how real this is. This may sound a little too 'tin-foil hat', but it wouldn't shock me to learn he arranged the entire thing himself. He's certainly capable of it.
Oh yeah... Like the infamous bomb threat. Doug Ford was immensely disliked by city hall staff and his bullying and threatening manners were well known. He is a thoroughly unpleasant man who lacks manners and empathy.

Oh yeah... Like the infamous bomb threat. Doug Ford was immensely disliked by city hall staff and his bullying and threatening manners were well known. He is a thoroughly unpleasant man who lacks manners and empathy.
He also doesn't want to pay for anything. Also wants someone else to pay and take care of things.

I understand this is a anti-ford thread, but whatever.

I voted for him in 2018 because I was sick of the nonsense of the liberal party was doing and so I voted for Doug because personally I liked his brother.

Now I admit, I didn't like how he handled the Toronto election at the beginning of his term, and really he should have left it alone until after the election was over. Another thing was him cutting budgets and whatnot for autism, etc.

The thing I like him the most for is his public transit projects. He did a fantastic job fast tracking these projects, and at the same time giving metrolinx more power(maybe too much in some cases).

I voted for him in 2018 because I was sick of the nonsense of the liberal party was doing and so I voted for Doug because personally I liked his brother.

Now I admit, I didn't like how he handled the Toronto election at the beginning of his term, and really he should have left it alone until after the election was over. Another thing was him cutting budgets and whatnot for autism, etc.

The thing I like him the most for is his public transit projects. He did a fantastic job fast tracking these projects, and at the same time giving metrolinx more power(maybe too much in some cases).
OK, so yours was a protest vote? Please, given the Ford reputation, his tour at city hall, what made you think his government would not be involved in the same
shenanigans as it did when he was sited many time for conflict of interest?

He did a fantastic job with public transport? Excuse me, but the Ford bros. and Council Cons dismissed a fully financed LRT system in favor of Subways Subways Subways. Almost 10 yrs later no subway was ever build and if the LRT had been build it would have been up and almost completed. Hamilton fared no better as the Ford Gov. cancelled their 2019 LRT plans.

The thread isn't 'anti-Ford'.

The thread is to document political matters that are provincial in nature, during the tenure of Doug Ford as Premier.

Its certainly true that the vast majority of UT members, irrespective of their political leanings (ie. right/left/centre) have very little time for the Premier.

Undoubtedly, that much is obvious from time to time; but it is not the raison d'etre of the thread.

Lots of posters here, again, irrespective of political leaning disagreed with many decisions while the Liberals were in power.

They lacked defenders when it came to the gas plant scandal, or hydro privatization to name but two; and making fun of Stephen Del Duca's propensity for announcements about nothing is very much a
UT past-time.

Those are not small failings; and the list of his shortcomings is considerably longer. But his abject failure in moving to properly protect the elderly in LTC at the beginning of the pandemic will surely rank as his largest.

How many died that need not have?

Virtually every project he has announced or funded was in process under the previous government.

The notable exception is the Ontario Line, which delayed a subway (in the form of the Relief Line project) by at least 3 years, if not longer.

That some projects are finally moving forward is great; but how much credit the current government deserves for that is an open question.

OK, so yours was a protest vote? Please, given the Ford reputation, his tour at city hall, what made you think his government would not be involved in the same
shenanigans as it did when he was sited many time for conflict of interest?

He did a fantastic job with public transport? Excuse me, but the Ford bros. and Council Cons dismissed a fully financed LRT system in favor of Subways Subways Subways. Almost 10 yrs later no subway was ever build and if the LRT had been build it would have been up and almost completed. Hamilton fared no better as the Ford Gov. cancelled their 2019 LRT plans.
My vote was for change, not "protest" and clearly most of ontario felt the same way.(liberals got decimated so hard the NDP took their place)

Yeah Doug scrapped an awful plan, and gave us a better one.

My vote was for change, not "protest" and clearly most of ontario felt the same way.(liberals got decimated so hard the NDP took their place)

Yeah Doug scrapped an awful plan, and gave us a better one.
??????? So, I take it you are STILL a Doug supporter and are travelling on his many already functioning transit projects and have enjoyed living under the extended lock-up we are still under that resulted from his rash move to re-open things too soon.

Back