News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

I've heard a lot of subdivision type home builders (single detached homes in suburban hell) aren't even that interested any more. A lot are trying to pivot to condos and infrastructure.

Not good news for Toronto... looks like Section 37 funds charged to developers are about to be eliminated as well as the Land Transfer Tax.

I have mixed-emotion regarding the Land Transfer Tax. On the one hand, it is a terrible, terrible tax that disincentives buying&selling of property. On the other, we use it because the city lacks other means of raising revenues. Give us a sales tax or highway tolls and I would be happy to see the Land Transfer Tax go.

Section 37 we must wait and see what exactly the changes are planned as. Something like that isn't done without consultation from industry, and I can imagine they would rather have standardized than altogether eliminated (it is after all, an effective tool for increasing density on-site).

This whole circus could have been avoided had the Ontario Liberals just replaced Wynne two years before the election.

There were strong rumours about a year before the election that the knives were out for her within the Liberal party because they knew what was going to happen if she stayed on as leader. I'm still amazed that that internal coup failed. It was obvious to everyone that her toxic unpopularity would sink the whole party. It should be used as a lesson going forward.

There were strong rumours about a year before the election that the knives were out for her within the Liberal party because they knew what was going to happen if she stayed on as leader. I'm still amazed that that internal coup failed. It was obvious to everyone that her toxic unpopularity would sink the whole party. It should be used as a lesson going forward.
5 years before - McGuinty left in a disgrace.
If Wynne left in disgrace a year before the election - would anyone really have been stupid enough to vote Liberal again after they had performed so poorly 2 consecutive times.
I think they knew they were going to lose no matter what, and figured they would just take their lumps. They likely imagined they would do a bit better with all the extreme leftist that existed in the NDP.

Or the extreme right in the Ford PCs.

(cue BurlOak making claims for the Ford PCs being "moderate")
I am getting a bit confused nowadays about who is right and who is left. Ford is increasing funding for health and education, and is taking 5 years to balance the budget. https://torontosun.com/opinion/colu...boosts-spending-just-slower-than-the-liberals

Meanwhile, leftist are protesting in downtown - I guess they are cheering for cuts to these services. It seems left-right is more related to gender issues than any economic ones.

I am getting a bit confused nowadays about who is right and who is left. Ford is increasing funding for health and education, and is taking 5 years to balance the budget. https://torontosun.com/opinion/colu...boosts-spending-just-slower-than-the-liberals

Meanwhile, leftist are protesting in downtown - I guess they are cheering for cuts to these services. It seems left-right is more related to gender issues than any economic ones.

AH!!!!!!!!!! More keyboard ejaculations from the member @BurlOak, quoting from the Toronto Sun, which is Toronto's Conservative tabloid (not newspaper as it isn't news but printed propaganda written by hacks) Because of budget cuts:
1}Class sizes increased, teachers are being laid off
2}Recent budget cuts to public health will result in deaths and a public health crisis - workers are being laid off
3}Messing with the health budget (consolidating essential services without consultation - budgets have reduced, nurses and support staff are laid off
4}Autism education has been messed with, it wasn't perfect but now it's a disaster due to lack of funding, in other words budget cuts.
5}Minimum wage raise was cancelled - working poor are now forced to rely on foodbanks
6}Daycare budget cuts
7}Forestry budget cuts (you do know that trees are important)
8}Cancellation of the Toronto receiving a portion of the gas tax
9}Library budget cuts, assuming Ford doesn't think the Folks need to read and educate themselves

So these are just some of the services affected by the current Conservatives at Queens Park. I am sure I forgot a few and there are more to come. Don't tell us these are austerity measures, because Ford has plenty of millions to spend on lawsuits and other frivolous litigations and I am sure will spend millions more breaking contracts. I was watching this disgrace of a premier on TV last night when he was addressing the good Folks in Muskoka last night, blatantly announcing that if any manufacturer or entrepreneur who had an issue with any health and safety measure to protect "the little guys" to drop him a line and "they" would get rid of them.
So, yeah people are upset, it's their lives that are messed with, their standard of living is declining whilst the rich will get richer. I am assuming your standard of living hasn't been affected by the current budget cuts, but let us know when they will.

In closing, I am just wondering how much of an erection are you getting from posting this conservative clap trap? Do yourself a favour and stop reading the Sun, it doesn't reflect intelligence.

AH!!!!!!!!!! More keyboard ejaculations from the member @BurlOak, quoting from the Toronto Sun, which is Toronto's Conservative tabloid (not newspaper as it isn't news but printed propaganda written by hacks) Because of budget cuts:
1}Class sizes increased, teachers are being laid off
2}Recent budget cuts to public health will result in deaths and a public health crisis - workers are being laid off
3}Messing with the health budget (consolidating essential services without consultation - budgets have reduced, nurses and support staff are laid off
4}Autism education has been messed with, it wasn't perfect but now it's a disaster due to lack of funding, in other words budget cuts.
5}Minimum wage raise was cancelled - working poor are now forced to rely on foodbanks
6}Daycare budget cuts
7}Forestry budget cuts (you do know that trees are important)
8}Cancellation of the Toronto receiving a portion of the gas tax
9}Library budget cuts, assuming Ford doesn't think the Folks need to read and educate themselves

So these are just some of the services affected by the current Conservatives at Queens Park. I am sure I forgot a few and there are more to come. Don't tell us these are austerity measures, because Ford has plenty of millions to spend on lawsuits and other frivolous litigations and I am sure will spend millions more breaking contracts. I was watching this disgrace of a premier on TV last night when he was addressing the good Folks in Muskoka last night, blatantly announcing that if any manufacturer or entrepreneur who had an issue with any health and safety measure to protect "the little guys" to drop him a line and "they" would get rid of them.
So, yeah people are upset, it's their lives that are messed with, their standard of living is declining whilst the rich will get richer. I am assuming your standard of living hasn't been affected by the current budget cuts, but let us know when they will.

In closing, I am just wondering how much of an erection are you getting from posting this conservative clap trap? Do yourself a favour and stop reading the Sun, it doesn't reflect intelligence.
Where to begin...maybe with the assertion that BO’s standard of living couldn’t have been affected by Ford’s very modest - let slip the dogs of war here - cuts. We might remember that Kathleen Wynne’s economic program was anchored by a truly spectacular increase in the provincial debt, which would have continued world without end had she been re-elected. So, interest on debt would have kept rising smartly from its current level of around $12 billion if KW had stayed in office, since even the provincial Libs seemed to have reached the limit of piling eye-watering tax increases on a small sliver of the population. It’s going to be bad enough under Ford’s faux-austerity budget, which you might note makes the heroic assumption of no recession over the next five or six years. The deficit is a transfer from future generations to us currently. It’s a real burden, its service costs money, and its incidence falls on the young, at least to the extent they remain in Ontario. So yeah, people might think a moment about their future standard of living if the province doesn’t ever get a handle on its finances. As for the speculation about BO’s erection, it kind of ... I don’t know...undermines your pretension to intellectual superiority to the Sun.

Where to begin...maybe with the assertion that BO’s standard of living couldn’t have been affected by Ford’s very modest - let slip the dogs of war here - cuts. We might remember that Kathleen Wynne’s economic program was anchored by a truly spectacular increase in the provincial debt, which would have continued world without end had she been re-elected. So, interest on debt would have kept rising smartly from its current level of around $12 billion if KW had stayed in office, since even the provincial Libs seemed to have reached the limit of piling eye-watering tax increases on a small sliver of the population. It’s going to be bad enough under Ford’s faux-austerity budget, which you might note makes the heroic assumption of no recession over the next five or six years. The deficit is a transfer from future generations to us currently. It’s a real burden, its service costs money, and its incidence falls on the young, at least to the extent they remain in Ontario. So yeah, people might think a moment about their future standard of living if the province doesn’t ever get a handle on its finances. As for the speculation about BO’s erection, it kind of ... I don’t know...undermines your pretension to intellectual superiority to the Sun.

Your position is likewise undermined when you fail to note that even under Wynne, Ontario has the lowest per capita spending of any province. Yes, lower than Alberta.

It also has the lowest per capita revenues!

The above is from the non-partisan, financial accountability office.

This clearly indicates the deficit is not a function of over spending; but a function of under taxing.

That is not to say there is no wasteful spending. It is to suggest that such is not inordinate in Ontario relative to other jurisdictions.

It is also to say, with some notable exceptions (I was all for canning the ineffective and unnecessary drive-clean program) that Ford is not attempting to cut where the notable waste is actually found.

That would be in in maintaining a Separate school system, and in maintaining school boards more broadly.

Eliminating these, would, conservatively, cut 2B per year without sacrificing front line public service, but by improving efficiency.

But there has been no move to address either of these.

Instead there have been cuts to transfer partners (universities, public health, cities etc.)

These cuts have been made in hap hazard way. For instance, cities in Ontario have already set their 2019 tax bills and mailed those out to property owners, yet the province has made last minute, after-the-fact cuts, in year.

There is no practical means for cities to amend their property tax rates in-year. Nor anytime to make strategic cuts in a responsible way.

There is also no guidance from Queen's Park on where they feel money was wasted in public health (ie, if they could point to mean level of admin. spending among health units and suggest those over that number make a reduction, that might be reasonable) but no such guidance has been forthcoming.

Burloak does not make a substantiated case for his views. Neither did you.

Last edited:

Btw/ this and "all the extreme leftist that existed in the NDP", I'm wondering if there's some kind of conservative-social-media "codedness" about using the word "leftist" when one means "leftists", "the left", "leftism", etc...

Back