News   Sep 13, 2024
 2.5K     0 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 2.8K     4 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 730     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Can we have another title for this thread. This is not ``Premier Doug Ford`s Ontario``; never was his, never will be his in any decent sense .

Last edited:
Let's give the guy a break, shall we? It's very easy to confuse 'sin' with 'simple'...and thus poor Dougie don't get no bone with conflating that to 'sinple', which is what everyone calls him, so he's merely responding to his intellectual imprint.

It's a sintax era.

Your position is likewise undermined when you fail to note that even under Wynne, Ontario has the lowest per capita spending of any province. Yes, lower than Alberta.

It also has the lowest per capita revenues!

Then why did Wynne not raise taxes?

My biggest complaint with both parties is their disregard for fiscal balance. Wynne ran deficits to pay for program spending. Ford cuts taxes without any regard to the growth of the deficit and the debt.

If you're a moderate fiscal conservative like me who doesn't mind some program spending growth but wants to see more balanced budgets, neither side is interested.

Then why did Wynne not raise taxes?
Because raising taxes is political suicide these days? The general public has zero sense of what tax money goes for and does, and how combined a societal resource pool lifts all boats. It kills me most that the loudest cries seem to come from the GTA suburbs. Our taxes support the massive inefficiency of suburban sprawl, and yet those who benefit most from it complain the loudest about spending on others.

But we are "open for business"...

Local nursery forced to destroy 3 million trees because of #Ontario government.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2019/05/ontario-government-tree-planting-3-million-destroyed/

Ed Patchell, CEO of Ferguson Tree Nursery in Kemptville, says that the lack of funding from the government means he cannot afford supplies, labour, or other operating expenses, and has no choice but to destroy the young unplanted trees.

Basically, the Ontario government was a "client" purchasing the trees from Patchell's nursery, and without that client, the trees have no buyer. They're too young to ship elsewhere, so they must be destroyed or purchased by other prospective buyers.

But we are "open for business"...

Local nursery forced to destroy 3 million trees because of #Ontario government.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2019/05/ontario-government-tree-planting-3-million-destroyed/

Ed Patchell, CEO of Ferguson Tree Nursery in Kemptville, says that the lack of funding from the government means he cannot afford supplies, labour, or other operating expenses, and has no choice but to destroy the young unplanted trees.

Basically, the Ontario government was a "client" purchasing the trees from Patchell's nursery, and without that client, the trees have no buyer. They're too young to ship elsewhere, so they must be destroyed or purchased by other prospective buyers.

Pity the homeowner who purchases one or more of the young seedlings in their lawn. Only by the following week, and the neighbourhood kid does a "good deed" by mowing their lawn and mows the seedling trees at the same time.

Because raising taxes is political suicide these days? The general public has zero sense of what tax money goes for and does, and how combined a societal resource pool lifts all boats. It kills me most that the loudest cries seem to come from the GTA suburbs. Our taxes support the massive inefficiency of suburban sprawl, and yet those who benefit most from it complain the loudest about spending on others.

What did Wynne Spending tens of billions to buy votes get her, 7 seats?

My point we have not had good governance in this province till I don't even know since when..

We either get slash and burn conservatives or Liberals that squander billions.

It was amazing to watch Mother Wynne adding program after program, from free tuition to expanded health care but never once said to do these things we must add a levy or tax. How did she expect to pay for the programs?

He's a cheap, small-time hood who's inexplicably clawed his way into a position of respectable government. He's not smart enough to camouflage his baser instincts and I doubt he would even if he could.

It appears that some of the rollbacks are meant to shock as much as anything. When there is overwhelming push back, the government seems to relax a bit. We've seen this on several fronts, so it probably is something of a tactic this government finds useful. However, it's nothing more than a cynical ploy that suggests the government is listening when in reality it's just more of the same schoolyard bully retreat.

Back