News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

6E6CD965-62F0-464C-97DC-7E416BA78A7A.jpeg

He’s without any doubt in my mind, told by Head quarters to dummy up and pretend all is well. They are making him the sacrificial pig or lamb. In the meantime he’s hiding in his late mom’s basement baking cheesecakes for Valentines.
Apparently the strategy is to let the protests be entirely Trudeau's problem.

This is, even for Ford, quite bizarre. The Provinces are always very quick to point out that THEY control Cities and policing so here you have a case that involves both and they are hiding and expecting the Feds to do the heavy lifting. One cannot help notice that the OPP do not seem to be much involved - you can bet if these were indigenous or gay or black protesters they and Mr Ford would be out there because 'we are the law & order Party". I realise Ford does not want to piss off his supporters (many of whom are out blocking roads) but really .....

This is, even for Ford, quite bizarre. The Provinces are always very quick to point out that THEY control Cities and policing so here you have a case that involves both and they are hiding and expecting the Feds to do the heavy lifting. One cannot help notice that the OPP do not seem to be much involved - you can bet if these were indigenous or gay or black protesters they and Mr Ford would be out there because 'we are the law & order Party". I realise Ford does not want to piss off his supporters (many of whom are out blocking roads) but really .....

He will be the first to claim credit when it had been dealt with though!

AoD

Not their jurisdiction, neither is it the RCMP's (with the exception of certain federal properties). Other police services provide what they can when requested; the OPP or RCMP have no 'white knight' jurisdiction. Last I heard the OPP had about 100 in Ottawa but that was a few days ago. They still have the rest of the province to police, and deal with the issues that have popped up at border crossings.

Not their jurisdiction, neither is it the RCMP's (with the exception of certain federal properties). Other police services provide what they can when requested; the OPP or RCMP have no 'white knight' jurisdiction. Last I heard the OPP had about 100 in Ottawa but that was a few days ago. They still have the rest of the province to police, and deal with the issues that have popped up at border crossings.
I agree the Ottawa and Windsor protests are primarily municipal problems in that they are happening on municipal property BUT if Ford cared he would participate in the (hoped for) tri-partite discussions and would certainly offer OPP help as municipalities are really out of their depth. The nonsense in both cities is harming the Province and the whole country and needs to stop. Ford skips meetings and does nothing, the Feds send extra RCMP officers. Time to stop the blockades.

This just in...

OTTAWA - The Ontario government says it has successfully petitioned a court to freeze access to millions of dollars in donations to the truckers convoy that were raised through online platform GiveSendGo.

A spokeswoman for Premier Doug Ford says Ontario's attorney general brought the application to the Superior Court of Justice and an order binding “any and all parties with possession or control over these donations” was issued today.

Last edited:
I agree the Ottawa and Windsor protests are primarily municipal problems in that they are happening on municipal property BUT if Ford cared he would participate in the (hoped for) tri-partite discussions and would certainly offer OPP help as municipalities are really out of their depth. The nonsense in both cities is harming the Province and the whole country and needs to stop. Ford skips meetings and does nothing, the Feds send extra RCMP officers. Time to stop the blockades.

This just in...

OTTAWA - The Ontario government says it has successfully petitioned a court to freeze access to millions of dollars in donations to the truckers convoy that were raised through online platform GiveSendGo.

A spokeswoman for Premier Doug Ford says Ontario's attorney general brought the application to the Superior Court of Justice and an order binding “any and all parties with possession or control over these donations” was issued today.

What they really should be doing is nuking digital currencies along with it.

AoD

What they really should be doing is nuking digital currencies along with it.

AoD
Of course, GiveSendGo says that they are not governed by an Ontario court (and it's hard to see how they could be.) “Canada has absolutely ZERO jurisdiction over how we manage our funds here at GiveSendGo. All funds for EVERY campaign on GiveSendGo flow directly to the recipients of those campaigns, not least of which is The Freedom Convoy campaign,” the organization said on Twitter.

As they are US-based and can presumably easily transfer $$ into Canadian bank accounts I do not see how this would work. (BTW, their website is VERY strange! https://www.givesendgo.com/ They raise $$ for a bizarre group of 'causes'.)

Of course, GiveSendGo says that they are not governed by an Ontario court (and it's hard to see how they could be.) “Canada has absolutely ZERO jurisdiction over how we manage our funds here at GiveSendGo. All funds for EVERY campaign on GiveSendGo flow directly to the recipients of those campaigns, not least of which is The Freedom Convoy campaign,” the organization said on Twitter.

As they are US-based and can presumably easily transfer $$ into Canadian bank accounts I do not see how this would work. (BTW, their website is VERY strange! https://www.givesendgo.com/ They raise $$ for a bizarre group of 'causes'.)
Would fall under "money laundering".

From link.

What is money laundering?​

Money laundering is the process used to disguise the source of money or assets derived from criminal activity. Profit-motivated crimes span a variety of illegal activities from drug trafficking and smuggling to fraud, extortion and corruption. The scope of criminal proceeds is significant - estimated at some $590 billion to $1.5 trillion (U.S.) worldwide each year.

Money laundering facilitates corruption and can destabilize the economies of susceptible countries. It also compromises the integrity of legitimate financial systems and institutions, and gives organized crime the funds it needs to conduct further criminal activities. It is a global problem, and the techniques used are numerous and can be very sophisticated. Technological advances in e-commerce, the global diversification of financial markets and new financial product developments provide further opportunities to launder illegal profit and obscure the money trail leading back to the underlying crime.

While the techniques for laundering funds vary considerably and are often highly intricate, there are generally three stages in the process:
  • Placement: involves placing the proceeds of crime in the financial system;
  • Layering: involves converting the proceeds of crime into another form and creating complex layers of financial transactions to disguise the audit trail and the source and ownership of funds (e.g., the buying and selling of stocks, commodities or property); and,
  • Integration: involves placing the laundered proceeds back in the economy under a veil of legitimacy.

Of course, GoSendGo says that they are not governed by an Ontario court (and it's hard to see how they could be.) “Canada has absolutely ZERO jurisdiction over how we manage our funds here at GiveSendGo. All funds for EVERY campaign on GiveSendGo flow directly to the recipients of those campaigns, not least of which is The Freedom Convoy campaign,” the organization said on Twitter.

As they are US-based and can presumably easily transfer $$ into Canadian bank accounts I do not see how this would work.
Because ⬆

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 10.23.11 AM.png

Last edited:

Back