News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 436     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Just got an e-mail concerning the banning of ranked ballots. I cut-n-paste it here:

Hall Monitor​

Jennifer Pagliaro and David Rider
By Jennifer Pagliaro and David Rider
Toronto looks nothing like its city council. One is Jurassic Park during the 2019 Raptors playoff run; the other is overwhelmingly white, male and middle-aged-plus. The disconnect has a number of causes — economic advantage, incumbency, name recognition. But solutions? There are few, maybe only one. And now it’s likely gone.
Ranked ballots are a different way of electing people, one that ensures a winner is chosen by a majority of their voters. That seemed to happen when London, Ont. ran a ranked-ballot election in 2018. Canadian political parties almost all use it to choose leaders, too — think of Erin O’Toole winning the Conservative leadership on the third ballot after other candidates dropped out and their supporters moved to him.
Toronto has for years looked at giving ranked ballots a try, with encouragement from democracy activist Dave Meslin and grassroots groups like the Ranked Ballot Initiative of Toronto. Mayor John Tory agrees it’s worth a shot.
But last week, we discovered — buried deep in pandemic legislation — that Premier Doug Ford has said no.
No to Toronto, no to London, no to any municipality.
We thought back to 2015 and our surprise when ranked ballots became an option, thanks to Ted McMeekin, then the municipal affairs minister. Electoral reform rarely happens, because politicians usually cling to the status quo. And so David reached out to now-retired McMeekin, who recalled that asking politicians to change the rules that got them elected was “like asking Colonel Sanders to protect the chickens.” Now, he has one big question for Ford: why?

The legislature's subject this morning is 'The McVety Affair'.

Interesting stuff here from @robertbenzie

1603990008917.png

1603990048018.png

1603990078025.png

Then this from Kristin Rushowy:

1603990121329.png

I believe the above is fairly credited to Cynthia Mulligan, who also Tweeted this:

1603990267424.png

Two weeks ago i booked a appointment at Rexall to get a flu shot went in today for my appointment and they said were all out and don't know when more vaccine will be in.This might not be a big deal to most but it was Ford who said weere going big with flu vaccines and anyone will be able to get one guess thats not true.

^^ Similar timeline - different outcome. the missus booked an appointment at our local small town Shoppers a couple of weeks ago and we got it yesterday. There must be supply chain problem but I don't know where. The only snag was the unavailability of the 'senior's dose' which is similar to last year's experience.

Pharmacies near me are out but those who book appointments are getting it when supplies arrive. Costco seems to be the most reliable source. Who knew.

Back