News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 455     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

High noon (when the sun would be at it's highest for the middle of the time zone) would also be at 13:00.
That assumes that we're starting from zero skew. I believe solar noon in Toronto is actually already a bit later than clock noon. Globally, we wouldn't even be close to having the latest solar noon -- in some places it's as late as 2:30pm local time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_zone#Skewing_of_zones

Man I tire of these DSL pro/con debates. If nothing else, it will put us out of step with Michigan, folks in the Northwest will be out of step with Manitoba, and kids in Thunder Bay will be standing out for the school bus in the dark (ok, civil twilight).
We stood outside in the dark for the bus before the change, and keeping time with the rest of the province would be more ideal, as Manitoba isn't where our government sits.

An excellent article in the Globe and Mail discussing a worrisome concern............the significant risk of many dams across the country failing.

The article highlights concerns in BC and Ontario but notes the issues apply elsewhere, including where a major dam failed in Quebec.

But I slotted this here, as dams are under provincial jurisdiction.

Apparently, Ontario barely knows where most dams are, and has no clue what condition they are in, and no programs to address if they are in poor condition, excepting those owned by OPG.

The story discusses the fate of a dam in southern Ontario that appears well on the path to failing (at least we know about that one); but a municipality that still hasn't decided it has to the find the just over $400,000 needed to remove it; or the upwards of 6M needed to replace it.

An excellent article in the Globe and Mail discussing a worrisome concern............the significant risk of many dams across the country failing.

The article highlights concerns in BC and Ontario but notes the issues apply elsewhere, including where a major dam failed in Quebec.

But I slotted this here, as dams are under provincial jurisdiction.

Apparently, Ontario barely knows where most dams are, and has no clue what condition they are in, and no programs to address if they are in poor condition, excepting those owned by OPG.

The story discusses the fate of a dam in southern Ontario that appears well on the path to failing (at least we know about that one); but a municipality that still hasn't decided it has to the find the just over $400,000 needed to remove it; or the upwards of 6M needed to replace it.

Before removing it or even replacing it, Ontario needs someone to inspect ALL the dams. That requires money, and since Doug Ford likes to cut funding, don't expect any more inspections until they pay someone or preferably people to do the inspections (plural).

NDP out today with their plan for Ontario's long-term care system.

Its clearly the first plank in an election platform.

Highlights:

1602262990625.png

Capital Cost: 750M per year for 8 years or 6 Billion

Operating cost: +3 billion per year vs current

NEW: Premier Doug Ford says he and Finance Minister Rod Phillips both "gave back" $10,000 of their MPP salaries as a token of support for those who are suffering financially.

A fine start.

Now if he would just return the other $198,000 and change we've paid him the last 12 months; and the full $208,974 for the year preceding, with interest; I would feel like some modest penance had been delivered.

Though I'd happily trade that for his resignation.

Last edited:

Back