News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 397     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

When the weather was in Fahrenheit and didn't go further than 3 days in forecasts, in the 1960's.

A little better than the forecast of heavy rain for Oct. 14, 1954. From link.
At 9:30 p.m. on Oct. 14, 1954 the Dominion Weather Office issued its final forecast on the approaching storm which read, “The intensity of this storm has decreased to the point where it should no longer be classified as a hurricane. This weakening storm will continue northward, passing east of Toronto before midnight.
That was Hurrican Hazel.

When the weather was in Fahrenheit and didn't go further than 3 days in forecasts, in the 1960's.

A little better than the forecast of heavy rain for Oct. 14, 1954. From link.

That was Hurrican Hazel.
The next time you're on the Bloor subway and stopping at/leaving Old Mill Station, look out the train to the Bloor bridge just to the south. There's a dark wavy line marker on one of the piers. That's the high water mark from Hazel.

It's kind of a holy-s#!t moment when you realize just how high the Humber got from the flood water.

Edit: Spacing turned their "50 Objects that Define Toronto" into a video series, and it's #37:

Last edited:
If you had to guess, how would you think the voters would feel about Doug next time? I know there are still two years left for him to revert back to his old self.

If you had to guess, how would you think the voters would feel about Doug next time? I know there are still two years left for him to revert back to his old self.

Well, we will have to wait for Covid to "slowly" disappear and watch Doug to revert back to his old self again and the corruption to be more flagrant.

Far too early to make that call.

If the school reopening goes badly, he's sunk.

People don't forgive that sorta thing.

If it goes fine; he'll be judged by the next year and change and he will be contrasted with his competitors.

But what that is the point though of being a broadcaster in 2020. After they lost hockey night in Canada, the number of Canadians who actually watch the cbc on tv has gone down to almost nothing.

Why are we spending 1.5 billion for a huge amount of office space and focus on broadcasting for the CBC when no one really actually watches the actual tv network apart for the news. Like I know the CBC has huge office spaces and infrastructure in every big city in Canada and I am like this seems like a huge waste.

We can easily do much more with a fraction and just make tv shows to sell off to major distributors where people actually watch CBC content.

like people who here defend the cbc, when is the last time you actually watched the cbc on television?

lol

Unlike most folks here, I'm a moderate swing voter. If a Conservative leader proposes eliminating the CBC, they lose my vote automatically.

I've always said that Torontonians have no real clue about the rest of Canada. Heck, most don't understand the rest of Ontario. Posts like these prove it. The CBC is very much valued in most of the country. The more rural, the more French or Indigenous, the more valued it is. You also clearly don't speak French. So you have no idea how valued and popular some of the French content is. Ask Quebecers about Tout le monde en parle.

And quite frankly, having lived in the US through the 2016 and 2018 elections, I've come to appreciate the value of our national broadcaster a whole lot more. I have zero doubt that if CBC didn't exist, CTV and Global would devolve to become northern versions of NBC and CBS. Global might actually end up like Fox.

Unless the school reopening is absolutely disastrous, he'll do well. People here are really discounting how much of a boost Covid has given him. Just like Trudeau.

Both benefit a ton from the shitshow continuing to the South of us. The contrast makes them look good. Just imagine what Trudeau's poll numbers would be right now if Trump wasn't in charge in the US. I expect a Biden win will refocus Canadians back on our politics. And judgement will start coming after that.

Unless the school reopening is absolutely disastrous, he'll do well. People here are really discounting how much of a boost Covid has given him. Just like Trudeau.

Both benefit a ton from the shitshow continuing to the South of us. The contrast makes them look good. Just imagine what Trudeau's poll numbers would be right now if Trump wasn't in charge in the US. I expect a Biden win will refocus Canadians back on our politics. And judgement will start coming after that.

With my repeated admonition that its far too early to call a damn thing; I will, in support of your analysis, say that riding-level polls in Ontario are being done.

They currently suggest a modest recovery for the Liberals, a dip for the NDP, and the Conservatives holding a reduced majority.

I would be hopeful for a change in government; though the alternative of Del Duca..........ugh.......I don't think the Greens can reach a competitive to govern position in the next 2 years in Ontario (too bad, Schreiner is the most appealing leader)

I think my hope right now would probably be NDP-minority government, but that's without seeing any platforms, obviously.

School is indeed going to be telling. I moderate a family forum, and so many parents are furious at how the school situation is being handled.

My kid has been in daycare for a month. But Ottawa is handling this a bit better than the GTA. It's been going decently. They have a plan for anybody getting sick. And have created isolated groups of kids. I dunno what I'd do if we had a Junior elementary school student.

Unlike most folks here, I'm a moderate swing voter. If a Conservative leader proposes eliminating the CBC, they lose my vote automatically.

I've always said that Torontonians have no real clue about the rest of Canada. Heck, most don't understand the rest of Ontario. Posts like these prove it. The CBC is very much valued in most of the country. The more rural, the more French or Indigenous, the more valued it is. You also clearly don't speak French. So you have no idea how valued and popular some of the French content is. Ask Quebecers about Tout le monde en parle.

And quite frankly, having lived in the US through the 2016 and 2018 elections, I've come to appreciate the value of our national broadcaster a whole lot more. I have zero doubt that if CBC didn't exist, CTV and Global would devolve to become northern versions of NBC and CBS. Global might actually end up like Fox.

Absolutely agree. Virtually every small community had a CBC tv transmitter (and still has a Radio 1) which was often the only tv service along TVO and Radio-Canada on the same tower. Unfortunately, they shut them down when they went digital with the exception of the large markets, forcing residents to satellite or cable, if it is available or online if there is decent bandwidth, which there often isn't. I still travel the province bopping between Radio 1 frequencies..

Absolutely agree. Virtually every small community had a CBC tv transmitter (and still has a Radio 1) which was often the only tv service along TVO and Radio-Canada on the same tower. Unfortunately, they shut them down when they went digital with the exception of the large markets, forcing residents to satellite or cable, if it is available or online if there is decent bandwidth, which there often isn't. I still travel the province bopping between Radio 1 frequencies..
Back in the day, I lived in a rural area that did NOT have CBC Radio. We were thrilled when it finally arrived, we felt connected with others. I travelled a lot for work, and people were always talking about this show or interview or feature that they had heard on the radio. Because I travelled in rural areas, I spent a lot of time driving and CBC was my constant companion. These days, I'm home-based so I don't listen to the radio as often, but CBC produces some excellent (award-winning) podcasts that I listen to.

Trump is a cop out to a lot of politicians.

I seen many people excuse ford and Trudeau behaviour with "better then trump"

Many people give Ford good Mark's for the covid response as it's way better then Trumps and better then expectations for Doug. If there was no Trump it been different as he be judged against other Canadian leaders instead.

Trudeau has made some rather serious blunders as PM but in the end we are like "nothing compared to Trump" and they dont stick much.

Once Trump is gone both leaders will be judged differently I think.

Actually the departure of Trump will reshape politics drastically in the public mind.

Last edited:
I agree, except I think CTV would be the Fox. I've been told it's no coincidence that the "Your Morning" set look(ed; it's changed) like it was designed for the 700 Club. Funny enough, CTV keeps hiring or launching the careers of prominent little- and big-C conservatives like Mike Duffy, Pamela Wallin, Arthur Kent, Don Martin, Ben Mulroney, yada yada. The CPC tried to woo Lloyd Robertson to running for them for years.

Back