News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 404     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

as i said in 2020 dont really see the point of the cbc being a tv broadcaster anymore.

I don't know what your obsession w/that is.

Its a medium; lots of people still get their content that way.

Its not going anywhere any more than any other 'channel' is.......

The signal is digital, not analog.

You can watch the content on cable or on youtube or on gem or at cbc.ca, w/e works for you.

I am just saying the CBC can be way better, but its like a sacred cow to many in Canada.

Its like we can make healthcare better in Canada but the debate is pretty much "we are better than America yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" so nothing changes

lol

as i said in 2020 dont really see the point of the cbc being a tv broadcaster anymore

Like as i said the CbC should just focus on the news channel, the website and making tv shows. That is it.

Rest is pretty pointless now.
You really are obsessed with this annual right wing “kill the CBC”-trope. It’s stuff like this that make me think you really are just trolling these forums.
The CBC is the only network you can turn on at prime time any day of the week and are almost guaranteed to see quality, original, Canadian content. Even despite our newfound cachet around the world, networks like CTV and Global are still more than happy to serve up the latest ABC/CBS/NBC produced forensic medicine drama or lame canned-laughter sitcom for grandma and grandpa, strictly because it's cheaper. Even though they produce some of those shows I listed above for partner networks in the US, they still lean towards airing the cheapest, middle of the road programming they can find. Why? because they're beholden to shareholders and not the general public. Even when they do their required Cancon, it's often cheap-to-make reality TV like a Canadian-version-of-[insert terrible US reality show].

All of that aside, the CBC is required — under the Broadcast Act — to serve markets in which it loses money, and which our other networks won't even touch. So yes, they are mandated to put themselves in the position of losing money in the name of the public good. All so they can be a source of information and entertainment for remote communities that aren't profitable for Global/CTV/City to carry, let alone to attract advertisers. Yes, it's completely anti-capitalist, but capitalism doesn't care to supply remote locations with election night coverage, local news, or a sense of belonging in our country that living in remote communities often lacks.

The CBC does what it does and it does it well. Leave it the hell alone.

Last edited:
You really are obsessed with this annual right wing “kill the CBC”-trope. It’s stuff like this that make me think you really are just trolling these forums.
The CBC is the only network you can turn on at prime time any day of the week and are almost guaranteed to see quality, original, Canadian content. Even despite our newfound cachet around the world, networks like CTV and Global are still more than happy to serve up the latest ABC/CBS/NBC produced forensic medicine drama or lame canned-laughter sitcom for grandma and grandpa, strictly because it's cheaper. Even though they produce some of those shows I listed above for partner networks in the US, they still lean towards airing the cheapest, middle of the road programming they can find. Why? because they're beholden to shareholders and not the general public. Even when they do their required Cancon, it's cheap-to-make reality TV like a Canadian-version-of-[insert terrible US reality show].

All of that aside, the CBC is required — under the Broadcast Act — to serve markets in which it loses money, and which our other networks won't even touch. So yes, they are mandated to put themselves in the position of losing money in the name of the public good. All so they can be a source of information and entertainment for remote communities that aren't profitable for Global/CTV/City to carry, let alone to attract advertisers. Yes, it's completely anti-capitalist, but capitalism doesn't care to supply remote locations with election night coverage, local news, or a sense of belonging in our country that living in remote communities often lacks.

The CBC does what it does and it does it well. Leave it the hell alone.

I forgot you dont believe in making govt run things more efficient and better because everything that is govt run must be good by default.

The CBC broadcast channel on its own has largely become irrelevant to most Canadians after they lost Hockey Night in Canada. Most people who watch their shows usually see them on digital platforms and not on the CBC itself.

Like a lot of my friends and I loved Anne with an E, but we had no idea it was even a tv show on the CBC...

It was only seeing it on Netflix did we even notice it. So to me the future of the CBC is making content and selling on platforms people actually watch then maintaining a legacy platform no one really watches anymore.

CBC news network however i think is really beneficial though to the country.

Last edited:
I forgot you dont believe in making govt run things more efficient and better.

No, I don't believe in treating government like a capitalist entity required to go through subsequent rounds of attrition until it either makes a profit or dies.

The CBC broadcast channel on its own has largely become irrelevant to most Canadians after they lost Hockey Night in Canada. Most people who watch their shows usually see them on digital programs and not on the CBC itself.

So i think its a huge waste of money to maintain a huge broadcasting footprint in 2020, and rather they just use that money to make shows.

So yeah it should be reformed or defunded I think as the CBC is rather useless to most Canadians.

Okay, Trump. Enough with ascribing "most Canadians" to your personal dunning-krueger opinion based on something you read somewhere once .

Why is it, time and time again, and despite always claiming not to be a conservative, you throw out yet another conservative trope. You must really be fooling yourself voting for parties you share zero values with, huh?

Edit: It's a good thing I managed to quote you before you attempted to change your entire argument, no?

Last edited:
No, I don't believe in treating government like a capitalist entity required to go through subsequent rounds of attrition until it either makes a profit or dies.

Okay, Trump. Enough with ascribing "most Canadians" to your personal dunning-krueger opinion based on something you read somewhere once .

Why is it, time and time again, and despite always claiming not to be a conservative, you throw out yet another conservative trope. You must really be fooling yourself voting for parties you share zero values with, huh?

Well no reason to be mean or smug :) it really devalues your air of moral superiority you like to give off 24/7

Its not trump its fact, CBC ratings and revenue went off a cliff after it lost hockey night in Canada. The only Canadian shows that done well are the ones that got popular on Netflix not on the CBC channel.

Like a perfect example was Anne with an E. On CBC the show went totally under the radar in Canada however the show got popular on Netflix outside Canada. So i think it shows the broadcast channel is a pretty poor avenue to showcase Canadian content in 2020.

I think maybe being in Toronto one could not really care for the CBC as there a billion other options that offer way better content but in small towns, it's a different story I guess.

Actually I really dislike the new National program on CBC News. It was so much better with Peter Mansbridge and I think ratings for the national have collapsed which sucks as I used to enjoy that.

I think i more in favour of wanting more from the CBC then getting rid of it i think right now.

Last edited:
And because you insist that this is a cogent point:

The CBC broadcast channel on its own has largely become irrelevant to most Canadians after they lost Hockey Night in Canada.

The CBC dodged a bullet that is Don Cherry. Because they are a government organization, they have less of a footing to stand on in defending themselves in court in HR situations. Government often stands to set the example in Human Resources matters. Cherry, with his notoriously unchallenged bigotry, was a ticking time bomb for a major law suit or advertiser drop.

Those HNIC ratings dropped dramatically after Cherry was fired from SportsNet, btw.

Which shows people were tuning in not so much for the hockey, but to hear racist grampa spout bigotry and toxic masculinity, and we the public were paying for it. You think we should still be paying for it?

And because you're obsessed with the costs of "broadcasting":

The "transmission, distribution and collection" operating costs for the CBC made up less than 4% of it's operating budget. And sending radio waves out is only one of the costs covered in that (it also includes the various websites, online streams, etc.). It's pocket change compared to what they pay just making programming, and more than made up for by subscriber fees on its must-carry cable channels. And you'd know that if you weren't so eager to parrot a trope and just look it up yourself:

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 8.50.52 AM.png

I think the issue was the cbc had exclusive access to the most popular hockey games.

For example toronto vs Montreal sat night games were a massive draw and now the cbc does not have that. Most canadians would tune in on sat to the cbc and then be exposed to their other content.

Don cherry I think should been let go a while ago so I dont see how that is relevant.

Also it's not about the cost of broadcasting. It's the fact that almost all the current content the cbc makes goes largely unnoticed unless it ends up on netflix.

As a result I think in 2020 the television cbc broadcast channel is largely irrelevant.

Well no reason to be mean or smug :) it really devalues your air of moral superiority you like to give off 24/7
It's not moral superiority to defend an argument you've bothered to research more than a superficial knowledge of. You're bringing a sponge to a knife fight and complaining about someone else confidently holding a knife.

Maybe if you stop using "most Canadians/most people" to describe your personal opinion easily disproven with facts?

"Most canadians would tune in on sat to the cbc and then be exposed to their other content."
"So yeah it should be reformed or defunded I think as the CBC is rather useless to most Canadians."
"It was over the fact they lost access to broadcast most nhl games which was the main reason why most people even watched the cbc."
"Most people who watch their shows usually see them on digital platforms and not on the CBC itself."

I have both friends and family in Television and Radio, and myself worked in the latter industry for a couple of years. So unless you've got major TV credientials you've been hiding this whole time, stop acting like your knowledge of "broadcast" supersedes the knowledge and experience of others, let alone the data.

The only Canadian shows that done well are the ones that got popular on Netflix not on the CBC channel.

Murdoch Mysteries, Heartland... They've been around long enough to be pre-Netflix, and developed their popularity on the CBC years before they were shipped internationally where they air on foreign broadcast networks.

Your argument also falls flat with the fact that Schitt's Creek, Kim's Convenience and to a lesser extent Workin' Moms are ratings gold on broadcast. Kim's convenience was pulling in a million viewers halfway through its first season. Netflix didn't pick it up (where it earned further success) until after the first season was over. Schitt's Creek was at 1.2m viewers in Canada within two months of its premiere. And then Pop TV (and later Netflix) decided to pick it up. Local ratings are often how Netflix determines whether they want to pick up or co-produce a show.

Like a perfect example was Anne with an E. On CBC the show went totally under the radar in Canada however the show got popular on Netflix outside Canada. So i think it shows the broadcast channel is a pretty poor avenue to showcase Canadian content in 2020.

Anne with an E wasn't also that popular. Yes, it had a big market reach on Netflix, but it was cancelled immediately after the third season by both CBC and Netflix. Netflix is a "long-tail" service. They depend on making money over a long period. They obviously saw that wasn't possible with Anne. Despite a strong first season the CBC saw ratings drop during the second season (average ~265,000/episode), and the third was even more dismal. If it had been more popular on Netflix than it were here, they would've handed money over to the CBC to continue producing it. They didn't.

You'll also note that initial marketing push and money for "Anne…" was supplied by the CBC. The ads on the side of busses, in newspapers, online... If you saw one, and it was how you found out about Anne (as I did), it was paid for by the CBC. Netflix does almost zero external promotion of individual shows, but rather depends on its algorithm to promote within the app/website.

I think i more in favour of wanting more from the CBC then getting rid of it i think right now.
You literally used the words "Axe the CBC" a few posts ago.

Last edited:
Also of note: CBC Gem produces streaming only shows that have been picked up by larger streaming networks. Bit Playas is now available on Amazon Prime Video, Utopia Falls is on Hulu. Neither has aired a single episode on the traditional CBC network.

They are literally doing the thing you complain they aren't doing.

CanCon TV has been really knocking it out internationally since Flashpoint. Many shows have been hits outside of the country, and friends in the TV biz have never been busier.
As the big US networks have been looking for the next damp rehashed sitcom or emergency services show (Chicago HMD is on it's way, I know it!), we've been doing some mostly great stuff that often pulls in more views than the big three.

Orphan Black (CTV co-production)
Murdoch Mysteries (in 110 countries, CBC)
Heartland (14 seasons, 119 countries, CBC)
Alias Grace (CBC)
Paw Patrol (ugh, TVO co-production),
Vikings (Shaw/Corus)
Letterkenny (Bell Media)
Frontier (Bell Media): Geez, I mean Bell created a series about a half-Cree trapper in a historical drama set in Northern Ontario about breaking the Hudson's Bay Co.'s monopoly on fur trading. There are often full scenes of the show spoken strictly in Cree. It is so Canadian it hurts, and it's a hit internationally. (Jason Momoa may have something to do with that, but I digress).

That's not including all the all-Canadian productions on US-owned properties. We aren't just producing cheaper stuff, we're producing *better* stuff. And it's made easier with having some of the best SFX companies HQed in Canada. I've heard rumours of full US production companies planning to move up here permanently, as Hollywood's slow death is being dramatically hastened with Covid. Unless the US somehow pulls a vaccine out of nowhere, they're in this for the long haul, and a whole bunch of contracts will end unfulfilled if they aren't able to film. Ship cast, crew, sets and equipment up here, quarantine for a few weeks, test regularly and film now, as opposed to waiting a year or two...
There's My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (DHX Media's Vancouver studios, albeit created by an American using American IP).

It has a huge and loyal fandom. One of its voice actors is Toronto-born Tara Strong, who is among the best known English-language voice actors in the world.

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brony

We really should get this thread back on track to Doug Ford's Ontario.

But to finish a thought.

I had a look at the ratings for Coroner on CW.

While not spectacular, they've likely met or exceeded expectations.

They debuted to a 0.1/715000 viewers

But they doubled the show previously in that timeslot; they came in 50% over their lead-in; and are the #3 show for the week for CW, out of 12.

More CBC gems: This Hour Has 22 Minutes, Royal Canadian Air Farce, Rick Mercer Report, Baroness Von Sketch Show, Market Place, Passionate Eye etc etc. Some are no longer produced but it is certainly a mention. The CBC 24hr news channel is certainly many shades above CP24 news.

Back