News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

A death certificate is a public document, not a private one. You have no right to deny people knowing about your death! LOL

The death certificate can only be issued once your death is electronically recorded these days; or at least that's my understanding.

Its not a hand-filled in form.

At least it wasn't the last time for me.

If the authorized persons sign a death certificate; the province has a record of that; somewhere.

Now, it can be that the record is not currently in a place where its easy to access electronically, but that's not so hard.

That same company whose contract a loved one seeks to terminate will know of the death when handed a physical death certificate.

A document they will copy/scan for their records if kin/executor don't have extra copies.

Why would it be any less private if they were to confirm this data electronically?

All they require is sufficient proof of death, of the person with whom they have the contract; to take an action.

There is a default action in the case of some contracts (termination), or one involving a non-terminatable contract (a mortgage for example) that requires a secondary proof
that the person with whom they are talking has the right to speak on behalf of an estate.

That can be done with with will; or with probate documents where appropriate.

That would vary based on the nature and size of a contract.

But I'm not suggesting that companies get to randomly inquire with the government if their contract holder is deceased, LOL Though I don't suppose a yes/no answer would really violate anyone's privacy.

Rather, that that inquiry, if initiated appropriately by a next of kin/executor could be confirmed without having to walk around with a stack of death certificates and go to 10 different offices.

I grant there are limitations.

I'd just like to see the hassle of death for those left behind made a little less burdensome.

One thing I noted in my own experience, is that most people, even those with a will, don't keep a centralized list of everyone with whom they do business or who may need to know of their death.

So after you get through the obvious (Ministry of Transportation, terminate the driver's license) etc.

You have to assemble a list of who else needs to know.

In my case I had access to my parents bank accounts in their late life; as I was the one managing finances, so I had a fairly clear picture.

But what a hassle if that were not so.

Also I noted when I phone the SIN office to cancel that; that they already knew of the death, as they were tied directly to the Ontario office that records deaths.

By contrast, Transportation was not aware.

Really odd.

Actually, I don't find it odd (or rather, unusual) that various government databases don't talk to each other. When we had a small farm we got a GST registration number. I forget what the topic was that generated the discussion, but I was told by our accountant that the Revenue Canada income tax system does not talk to the GST system. It is similar with Revenue Canada and provincial land registry. Up until recently, you could sell a cottage (subject to capital gains) not report it and there was no way the CRA would know. Even now, there is a declaration on your return but I'm not sure there is much beyond that.

I hear ya about going through parental records. My dad was quite capable of managing his affairs but died suddenly. He was an accountant (and a bit of a packrat) and had records of long closed accounts. Trouble is, we didn't know what was closed and what was active without research. One fun thing we came across was every tax return he had ever filed. I tossed most but kept the one for the year of my birth just for fun. The entire return - including tax tables - four pages.

I suppose I'm just not that comfortable with private industry accessing personal government records (and visa-versa), declared permission or not. Part of my brain hears a slippery slope whisper, along with questionable data security, hacking, etc.

I am unclear what you are trying to say but if it is that you need to be a teacher to recognise plagiarism you are clearly wrong and the TDSB's former Director ((Former PhD) Chris Spence WAS a trained teacher. (see: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...y-appeals-revocation-of-teaching-licence.html ) Though I am sure having teaching experience is sometimes useful, being a Director of Education is much more a managerial position these days and most have many Assistant Directors, who can offer the 'teacher perspective'.
Thanks for the clarification.

What is this? It says the account owner restricts their tweets.
Ontario is moving into stage 3 on Friday. Except for the GTA and parts of Southwestern Ontario. Restaurants, Bars, Gyms and even Cinemas can reopen their doors.

I'm sticking this story here, because provincial water quality inspectors from the MoE tie in.

Though it is a very Hamilton-specific story in its details.

Appears a food additive plant has been leaking Fumaric acid into local waterways for upwards of a month.

Fumaric acid is food-grade but can be toxic to freshwater fish and aquatic life at high concentrations.

What stands out in this story seems to be corporate and government indifference to me.

The rhetoric is ok; but there was clearly insufficient control of the product; insufficient awareness/inspection or caring about a leak; and action from government which seemed slow and inadequate.

Regardless of political party I think it makes way more sense for the federal government to shoulder the debt to provide most of the expenses as the provinces are broke and should focus on health care resources.

Plus cerb is taxable...
A lot of people likely wont qualify for it and will have to repay it and its gonna be interesting in april 2021.

CERB to me should end soon but it was effective.
It should end by labour day and anyone left either files EI or finds another job.

Like isnt there a huge surplus of funds in employment insurance ? Seems better to use that then more debt.

Last edited:
Like isnt there a huge surplus of funds in employment insurance ? Seems better to use that then more debt.

The days of the $50B EI surplus have been gone for many years now. There was less than $5B in trust at the start of this year, about equivalent to a few weeks of CERB, or to absorb a regional recession under normal circumstances.

The days of the $50B EI surplus have been gone for many years now. There was less than $5B in trust at the start of this year, about equivalent to a few weeks of CERB, or to absorb a regional recession under normal circumstances.
Ah I see I thought there was a huge surplus

Normally we think of parking standards as municipal issue.

But the Ontario Home Builder's Association has made a submission to the province asking it to ban municipalities from imposing minimum parking standards.....

That's different.

1594825884993.png

Normally we think of parking standards as municipal issue.

But the Ontario Home Builder's Association has made a submission to the province asking it to ban municipalities from imposing minimum parking standards.....

That's different.

View attachment 257489

I live in a fairly new rental building downtown. about five years old, and it has two underground parking levels. Both levels have huge swaths of unused spaces. Apparently well under half the residents have cars, perhaps as few as 1/3. I imagine they only really needed one underground level, and there was a lot of time and money wasted making that second one.

Back