News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 409     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Completely sold out of all Buck-a-beers at all Beer Stores in Oakville. This idea seems to be a huge success.

Massive success with folk who go for gimmicks and don't like beer.
Sort of how Timmy's is popular with people who don't like coffee.

Except that Tim’s actually recoups a profit from their swill and don’t use it as a short-term promotional loss leader.

From link:

Ontario ‘open for business,’ Doug Ford tells big bank economists

Premier Doug Ford met with the top economists from Canada’s big banks Thursday, telling them that his government wants to “turn this province around.”

Ford said he wants to hear from the big banks and others to usher in “a new era of prosperity and economic growth the likes of which this province has never seen before...

Except that Ontario is currently is booming, economically. Ontario is doing fine for years. Until Doug Ford took over that is, so we'll see after four years.

BTW. Doug Ford was going after the "downtown elites". So now we have the "suburban snobs" in charge.

From link:

Ontario ‘open for business,’ Doug Ford tells big bank economists

Except that Ontario is currently is booming, economically. Ontario is doing fine for years. Until Doug Ford took over that is, so we'll see after four years.

BTW. Doug Ford was going after the "downtown elites". So now we have the "suburban snobs" in charge.
They (the Sun, OneCity,) have been telling us its all doom and gloom for years now. It must be true. Ford said it. A man of the people. No need to fact check. We're a have not province folks previously with buck a beers.

Shouldn't it be up to the free market to decide what we like and don't like? Buck-a-beer means that I can purchase larger quantities of it at a time for both my own personal use and as party favours. My guests won't give two fracks about the brand or pedigree as long as it tastes good and gets them hammered. You can be elitist and snob against it if you want to, but Doug is addressing a need that's at least for now being fulfilled.

Shouldn't it be up to the free market to decide what we like and don't like? Buck-a-beer means that I can purchase larger quantities of it at a time for both my own personal use and as party favours. My guests won't give two fracks about the brand or pedigree as long as it tastes good and gets them hammered. You can be elitist and snob against it if you want to, but Doug is addressing a need that's at least for now being fulfilled.

No, he's not.

He lowered the mandated minimum price, which is fine. I have no objection to withdrawing it altogether.

But he didn't alter the structural cost of producing the product.

Ontario has among the highest beer taxes in the world; Doug has left in place a rise in those taxes scheduled for this October.

There are very legitimate arguments, no matter one's ideology or partisan preference over whether lower beer taxes should be a priority in light of both a deficit and pressing needs for more government investment in assorted areas.

That said, if lower beer prices ARE your priority, then lowering the tax on beer is crucial to a sincere effort to make that happen.

It hasn't.

By decreasing the minimum price from $1.10 to $1.00?

Any company can produce a product and sell it for below cost as a promotional tool. Doug didn’t do any research and assumed that the price floor was the only reason beer wasn’t still being sold at what was already considered bargain basement a dozen years ago. The “businessman” that he is couldn’t even remember to factor in that there’s been ~2.5-3.0% inflation year over year since.

It whittles down to this: Doug the “successful businessman” encouraged companies to sell beer (presumably permanently) for less than it actually costs to make in 2018. He did nothing to affect how much it costs to make it. He just wanted a cheap, deceitful way to score votes from a demographic who finds more value in drinking cheap beer than honest politicians.

Yay?

Looks like the federal carbon tax is dead...

With Alberta Pulling out, I am quite certain other provinces will not be as excited and there is no way Trudeau is going to force down a carbon tax on to seat rich Ontario.

Even if Trudeau did, I think Ford would love to have a fight with the federal govt over the tax.

Exactly the type of elitism and snobbery to why Wynne has less seats then a dinner table.

Keep at it :)

Back