News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 427     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

I'd *forgotten* that they had a brand. Not a beer drinker anyway. If I drink anything cheap and alcoholic, it's cider. Otherwise I just stick to heroin. It's less messy...Buck a Bang. No bloat. And not fattening. If Ford thought it could get him votes, he'd do it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President's_Choice

"as long as it represented better quality at a more affordable price:" So much for that claim...not that Ford would know the difference...

Launched by the late Dave Nichol, and then after he left Loblaws he had his own Dave's beer. I'm told he was a food snob, I don't think he'd be impressed that President's Choice is a buck a bottle. Maybe no-name (TM) beer... imagine a yellow label... no-name lager!

Anyone take advantage of dollar beers today? Most places are probably sold out of them by now.

Here's my haul - got a 12 pack of each PC variety on for a buck a beer. Never had them before and never planned on ever buying them until they were $1. Good time to try them out lol

aUARzs3.jpg

No, I don't buy shit just because it's cheap.

I hate to be a snob, but I really think I am too European to understand the appeal of this.

If Staropramen was being sold at $1 a beer, I would be the first one lining up to take advantage. Meanwhile, I did not even know PC had a beer brand...

You're not a snob. You're just smart enough to not fall for a gimmick and enjoy beer enough to not drink swill.

I'm with ya, if Plzeň was suddenly a 1$ a 500mL can, I'd be stocking up and emailing Ford thanking him for being a clown and making it possible.

PS: Staropramen used to be my beer when it was still in bottles. My whole crew was on the Staropramen tip back then. I drove around the Golden Horseshoe grabbing the last bottles when I found out they were switching to cans. Doesn't taste the same in a can. I mean, this beer particularly, in my opinion. None of my friends drink it anymore either.
Though, it was available on tap at a few places after the switch to cans....for maybe 3 years.
RIP. Gotta go to Praha to get the good version these days.
Maybe I should give it another chance. Praha is rather far.

Last edited:
Anyone take advantage of dollar beers today? Most places are probably sold out of them by now.

Here's my haul - got a 12 pack of each PC variety on for a buck a beer. Never had them before and never planned on ever buying them until they were $1. Good time to try them out lol

Naw... I am not desperate to drink "little guy Galen's" swill.

You're not a snob. You're just smart enough to not fall for a gimmick and enjoy beer enough to not drink swill.

I'm with ya, if Plzeň was suddenly a 1$ a 500mL can, I'd be stocking up and emailing Ford thanking him for being a clown and making it possible.

PS: Staropramen used to be my beer when it was still in bottles. My whole crew was on the Staropramen tip back then. I drove around the Golden Horseshoe grabbing the last bottles when I found out they were switching to cans. Doesn't taste the same in a can. I mean, this beer particularly, in my opinion. None of my friends drink it anymore either.
Though, it was available on tap at a few places after the switch to cans....for maybe 3 years.
RIP. Gotta go to Praha to get the good version these days.
Maybe I should give it another chance. Praha is rather far.

Well, you have to make do with what you have. Of the imports that we receive, Staropramen is still in my opinion one of the finest tasting beers we get. Though it could be a case where I am too young to have been able to purchase it in a bottle.

Kozel is another regular purchase for me. From the region of Czechia closest to the border with Silesia where one side of my family is from.

Though if you were to ask the beer snobs on that side of the family, they would claim that all the above were terrible mass produced factory beer, and point to tiny breweries in villages in the Moravian countryside for "genuine" beer. I wonder what they would think of buck a beer.

Well, you have to make do with what you have. Of the imports that we receive, Staropramen is still in my opinion one of the finest tasting beers we get. Though it could be a case where I am too young to have been able to purchase it in a bottle.

Kozel is another regular purchase for me. From the region of Czechia closest to the border with Silesia where one side of my family is from.

Though if you were to ask the beer snobs on that side of the family, they would claim that all the above were terrible mass produced factory beer, and point to tiny breweries in villages in the Moravian countryside for "genuine" beer. I wonder what they would think of buck a beer.

Kozel is too sweet and it's recently been dropped .2% for some reason.
On a recent camping trip, after finishing a case of Plzeň, a friend gave me a Kozel and I spat it out after a sip.....tasted like sugar water after that much Plzeň (Pilsner Urquell).
It's fine on its own....just can't mix it with its big brother.
Speaking of which, Kozel has been brewed in Plzeň by Plzeňský Prazdroj for as long as I can remember.
Also, Velké Popovice are outside of Praha. That's not exactly near Silesia.
And Plzeň is even farther west.
Maybe you're thinking of a different beer?
Speaking of which....and closer to Silesia: Radegast.....the LCBO used to carry it back in the day. That's the best Czech beer.
Also, I think you'll like Zlatý Bažant/Golden Pheasant. Slovakia gold.
Also Budvar/Czechvar is good. Still in bottles....wait, that might be in BC only.

Staropramen went full can in....2006, I think it was. Maybe early 2007...I think it was shortly after I moved out of Parkdale...so early 2007.

Yeah, I think your family wouldn't even dignify buck a swill with such a thing as a thought. Not when good beer is triple that.

Yeah central Europe is probably king for beer.

Honestly, try to find some Radegast next time you're there. It should be possible to find it on the Polish side as well.

Last edited:
Kozel is too sweet and it's recently been dropped .2% for some reason.
On a recent camping trip, after finishing a case of Plzeň, a friend gave me a Kozel and I spat it out after a sip.....tasted like sugar water after that much Plzeň (Pilsner Urquell).
It's fine on it's own....just can't mix it with it's big brother.
Speaking of which, Kozel has been brewed in Plzeň by Plzeňský Prazdroj for as long as I can remember.
Also, Velké Popovice are outside of Praha. That's not exactly near Silesia.
And Plzeň is even farther west.
Maybe you're thinking of a different beer?
Speaking of which....and closer to Silesia: Radegast.....the LCBO used to carry it back in the day. That's the best Czech beer.
Also, I think you'll like Zlatý Bažant/Golden Pheasant. Slovakia gold.
Also Budvar/Czechvar is good. Still in bottles....wait, that might be in BC only.

Staropramen went full can in....2006, I think it was. Maybe early 2007...I think it was shortly after I moved out of Parkdale...so early 2007.

Yeah, I think your family wouldn't even dignify buck a swill with such a thing as a thought. Not when good beer is triple that.

Yeah central Europe is probably king for beer.

Honestly, try to find some Radegast next time you're there. It should be possible to find it on the Polish side as well.
Someone knows their stuff! :eek:

I guess I was wrong about Kozel. Perhaps I was thinking it was brewed near Klodzko or something. Pilsner Urquell is my go-to beer, as well.

Radegast is good, the beer store still carries it every now and then, but not frequently enough that I can recall how it tastes like. I just remember being very pleased.

Silesia is blessed with quite a few good breweries as well. Zywiec is probably the best commercial beer (Tyskie, the other main commercial Silesian beer, just doesn't do it for me), and Tatra, which while I like is more hit-or-miss with most people. Just outside of Silesia near Krakow, there is Okocim brewery which is one of my favourite imports you can find in LCBO, although sadly I rarely see the Okocim Mocne strong beer (7%), which is the only strong beer I like.

Back in 2006 my parents wouldn't let me touch coca-cola let alone beer. :p So yes, definitely before my time.

Also, we have successfully derailed the thread to discussing beer, which I guess in a way is a microcosm of what Doug Ford wanted to do and has accomplished with this province post-election. The man doesn't even drink beer.

I'd *forgotten* that they had a brand. Not a beer drinker anyway. If I drink anything cheap and alcoholic, it's cider. Otherwise I just stick to heroin. It's less messy...Buck a Bang.

"Buck a Bang" made me think of that proposed sex doll brothel on Yonge. Hey, if it solidifies the incel vote...

Back