News   Jul 15, 2024
 353     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 494     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Perhaps you'd like to contemplate what beer tax is in Spain?

Combine Federal and Ontario tax on beer is just about $1.05 per L CAD not including sales tax.

Spain is about 4p or 7c per Pint.

To compare the 2, at the level of a 473ml can, Spain charges 5c, ON+CAN 52.5c.

Then factor in HST/VAT, There's is higher at 21%, but included in the price, as is ours at 14% but ours applies on top of the beer tax.

This implies an underlying price of 26c per can in Spain, plus 5c beer tax + 21% VAT = 40c

This implies an underlying price of $1.15 per can in Canada plus 52.5c, plus 13%HST, plus deposit which gets you a $1.99 per can (Laker is $2 at the LCBO)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance...rld-can-you-pay-the-least-tax-on-alcohol.html

For the underlying price, important to consider base costs in Canada are roughly 30% higher than Spain.

I will add there is a different way to show these numbers depending on whether you include the beer tax as a pre-markup price. (If you do this, the base cost difference between Spain and Canada dwindles, as the normative retail markup is 100%)

However, the taxes on gasoline is higher. So if we reduce the taxes on alcohol, the taxes on gasoline would have to go up.

From link.

price-petrol-per-litre-around-the-world-512x600.png

Venezuela is cheap, but I wouldn't want to live there.

So far Doug Ford has done nothing to help craft brewers. I remember buck a beer, it was all undrinkable macro swill. Dougie wants cheaper beer? Get rid of the foreign cartel that is the Beer Store, and their exorbitant prices. It amazes me in Buffalo NY i can get high quality craft beer for the same price as a case of our discount crap.

Why Ontario craft beer makers want a Beer Store alternative

Although Ontario’s craft beer industry is rapidly growing, brewers say the rigid retail environment creates unfair expense, stifles innovation and discourages

https://business.financialpost.com/...aft-beer-makers-want-a-beer-store-alternative

AllisonSmith @QueensParkToday said:
The PCs have intro'd a time allocation motion on Bill 5, the legislation that reduces the number of Toronto City Councillors from 47 to 25. Language in the motion would allow for the bill to pass by the end of the day.
AllisonSmith @QueensParkToday said:
Pursuant to the motion, Bill 5 will bypass committee stage and receive just one hour of debate at 3rd reading. One unusual thing about the wording is that it does not allow any votes on the bill to be deferred, so both 2nd reading and 3rd reading could happen this afternoon.
https://twitter.com/QueensParkToday/status/1027545685904764929

The food (and packaging) cost of Big Mac in Canada was $1.14 in 2016 (https://imgur.com/3oWuRHw). That retailed for $5.99 at the time. Due to economies of scale, McDonalds is able to put the food cost at 19%, much lower than the average in Canada of about 35%. $1.14 paid for the 2 beef patties, the bun, the sauce, the lettuce, the cheese, the pickles, the onions, the paper box that it came in.

McDonalds gets stuff cheap, but they also cut costs. McDonalds uses "recons" (aka, dried onions reconstituted with water), in order to keep costs low. Beef is a commodity, so no matter how much clout they have, there will still be bottom limits to pricing. Still, they've massively contributed to the use of feed lots in North America, which the taxpayers subsidize in water cleanup. Those burger patties are no longer cooked to order, but are cooked in batches and kept in steam warmers until needed. The buns, while raised with yeast, are also mixed in a way that introduces as much air as possible to cut yeast costs and get the same lift; they also use dough conditioners like Calcium Sulfate (gypsum) to help with rise and colour instead of more expensive ones regular bakeries will use like Diastatic Malt Powder (Malted Barley Flour). The cheese is processed cheese, obviously. In Canada, processed cheese is only required to have 51% real dairy ingredients, and often has gelatin, water and starches as filler.

For all the hate on (some justified) for McDonalds, they are also one of the cleanest, most well run restaurants. By keeping food cost down, they can (and do) dedicate more money to sanitation and cleanliness than many places. They also get reputable, clean meat, produce and other food products. While any food contamination at McDonalds gets a lot of attention, on a sheer scale level, they have magnitudes fewer food illness and contamination complaints than just about any other restaurant or chain on the planet.

McDonalds is the Molson/Labatts of the restaurant world. They get great economies of scale, and cut a few corners to keep things cheap (but not bottom-of-the-barrel cheap) and produce a passable, economical and safe product that can still be called a burger.

To be able to produce a burger for cheaper food cost than McDonalds is next to impossible. Even other chains can't match what McDonalds is able to do. Those that claim they can are lying or willing to cut corners at the cost of public safety. This is what Doug Ford is asking beer makers to do; produce something cheaper than the Big 3 already do (and already trim as much fat from the chain to do so).

You don't want cheaper food. Trust me.

Mmmmm . . . gypsum in my burger.

It would be interesting for some constitutional legal beagle to opine on:

- If the committee stage is bypassed/eliminated, could the LG refuse to confer Royal Assent because accepted parliamentary procedure was not followed (regardless of whether she would)

- If a piece of legislation to ban handguns in a single municipality would survive a Charter challenge under Section 15 (equality).

Matt Elliott@GraphicMatt
14 mins ago
From the Aug 9, 2018 Hansard: responding to a question about the end of the Basic Income Pilot, Premier Doug Ford suggests a member of the opposition has threatened him with a land mine.

View attachment 153079

He hasn't used the old "bomb threat" distraction line in a while.

Back