News   Jul 15, 2024
 41     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 328     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 533     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

I just came across this list of self righteous breweries who are making political points against the PC government. https://north99.org/2018/08/07/a-list-of-beer-companies-refusing-fords-buck-a-beer-gimmick/

Maybe for the clientele of these specialty, pricey breweries actually support their decision. But for me it is the new list of beers to avoid.
If they can't make a dollar beer and others can, then just shut up and don't embarrass yourselves.

By the way, I recently bought beer in Spain for about 40 cents a can.

I don't even drink beer and I know that the cheap stuff is low quality. Cheap food is often made from cheap ingredients.

As far as I can see, the only way Doug can save face is by killing the beer tax altogether and destroying a decent revenue source in the name of Ford pride.

I just came across this list of self righteous breweries who are making political points against the PC government. https://north99.org/2018/08/07/a-list-of-beer-companies-refusing-fords-buck-a-beer-gimmick/

Maybe for the clientele of these specialty, pricey breweries actually support their decision. But for me it is the new list of beers to avoid.
If they can't make a dollar beer and others can, then just shut up and don't embarrass yourselves.

Well then.... You can't expect us to shut up..... Have you ever considered moving to Spain?

Speaking of embarrassing oneself, you just went and did that very same thing with that post.

That link says it all: "....refusing-fords-buck-a-beer-gimmick". Gimmick. Only a fool can't see through the rubbish here.

No one is going to be able to make a dollar beer a can. Please, you're smarter than this. I know you are.
Ford isn't reducing liquor taxes in order to make beer cheaper, he's instead prompting brewers to cut their profits (or even lose money) in order to fulfill a stupid gimmicky promise he made and offering a sort of subsidy to achieve this. It's corporate welfare bribery. That's not good for business. That's not good for the taxpayer.

When was the last time beer was that cheap? What kind of beers were that cheap? Have you heard of inflation? Is it possible to produce beer at the same cost as it was then?

Please, please, please, use your head and think about this.

Spain eh? Nice one. We should all take four hour siestas during the work day. Right?
I'm all for it. I only take an hour lunch (or, ahem.....sometimes a bit longer). I'm completely down with a Spanish work day and lifestyle.

By the way, you can buy beer in Czechia for 8KC at the local shop. What's your point? (17KC is $1)

https://north99.org/2018/08/07/a-list-of-beer-companies-refusing-fords-buck-a-beer-gimmick/

Hahahaha @ Story Stayed Brewing Company printing on the bottom of their cans: LOL @ BUCKABEER

Winners.

The contents of that link say it all. Thanks for posting that @BurlOak

I normally drink Beau's, Collective Arts, and Muskoka beers, but I think I'll give the Pilsner Urquell a bit of a rest for a bit and buy some of these other brewers' beers to support the fact that they give a shit about brewing real beer and, by the looks of it, paying decent wages.

I thought the Fordites were about jobs for people. Why would they incentivise companies to cut costs in order to provide shitty product?

Government for the people? Government against the people and business.

Last edited:
Well then.... You can't expect us to shut up..... Have you ever considered moving to Spain?

I have. I have EU citizenship and a serious love of the Spanish lifestyle. They're my kind of people.

We should all go live amongst the British retirees for a bit.

Perhaps you'd like to contemplate what beer tax is in Spain?

Combine Federal and Ontario tax on beer is just about $1.05 per L CAD not including sales tax.

Spain is about 4p or 7c per Pint.

To compare the 2, at the level of a 473ml can, Spain charges 5c, ON+CAN 52.5c.

Then factor in HST/VAT, There's is higher at 21%, but included in the price, as is ours at 14% but ours applies on top of the beer tax.

This implies an underlying price of 26c per can in Spain, plus 5c beer tax + 21% VAT = 40c

This implies an underlying price of $1.15 per can in Canada plus 52.5c, plus 13%HST, plus deposit which gets you a $1.99 per can (Laker is $2 at the LCBO)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance...rld-can-you-pay-the-least-tax-on-alcohol.html

For the underlying price, important to consider base costs in Canada are roughly 30% higher than Spain.

I will add there is a different way to show these numbers depending on whether you include the beer tax as a pre-markup price. (If you do this, the base cost difference between Spain and Canada dwindles, as the normative retail markup is 100%)

Last edited:
I don't even drink beer and I know that the cheap stuff is low quality. Cheap food is often made from cheap ingredients.
I give up.

Let's just pass a law that no restaurant can sell a meal for less that $20 ($15 for Lunch) because the consensus of a few people is that the quality is just not up to their standards.

It's idiotic how people with no know of the brewing process and industry are arguing about being fine with low quality, when it's nearly impossible to make beer that low IN ONTARIO. Have you looked at some of the Twitter feeds of head brewers and home brewers around Canada trying to figure out how to even get costs down that low? There's a point where quality gets so low, it's not even really the same product anymore. Think of Molson and Labatt like the cheap cheese blocks you find in any dairy counter. It does the job for most people, but obviously there's tons of other options in the organics aisle and cheese boutiques (eg craft beer at all tiers). This whole buck-a-beer campaign is the equivalent of comprising so much it's akin to Cheez-Whiz, it has so little dairy in it, it legally cannot be called a cheese product in many countries. Yes there are companies who make this pseudo-beer, it's high ABV malt liquor, which this buck-a-beer campaign won't help.

It's been repeated many times, if the ON PCs had any bite behind that bark, it's to drop the tax. THAT is the only way to truly bring back buck-a-beer. However, people refuse to learn about the industry, or simply look at the math.

I give up.

Let's just pass a law that no restaurant can sell a meal for less that $20 ($15 for Lunch) because the consensus of a few people is that the quality is just not up to their standards.

Or we could reduce the pasta tax of $1.75 per 100 grams so that a good lunch could be cheaper.................oh wait a minute...... :rolleyes:

I give up.

The food (and packaging) cost of Big Mac in Canada was $1.14 in 2016 (https://imgur.com/3oWuRHw). That retailed for $5.99 at the time. Due to economies of scale, McDonalds is able to put the food cost at 19%, much lower than the average in Canada of about 35%. $1.14 paid for the 2 beef patties, the bun, the sauce, the lettuce, the cheese, the pickles, the onions, the paper box that it came in.

McDonalds gets stuff cheap, but they also cut costs. McDonalds uses "recons" (aka, dried onions reconstituted with water), in order to keep costs low. Beef is a commodity, so no matter how much clout they have, there will still be bottom limits to pricing. Still, they've massively contributed to the use of feed lots in North America, which the taxpayers subsidize in water cleanup. Those burger patties are no longer cooked to order, but are cooked in batches and kept in steam warmers until needed. The buns, while raised with yeast, are also mixed in a way that introduces as much air as possible to cut yeast costs and get the same lift; they also use dough conditioners like Calcium Sulfate (gypsum) to help with rise and colour instead of more expensive ones regular bakeries will use like Diastatic Malt Powder (Malted Barley Flour). The cheese is processed cheese, obviously. In Canada, processed cheese is only required to have 51% real dairy ingredients, and often has gelatin, water and starches as filler.

For all the hate on (some justified) for McDonalds, they are also one of the cleanest, most well run restaurants. By keeping food cost down, they can (and do) dedicate more money to sanitation and cleanliness than many places. They also get reputable, clean meat, produce and other food products. While any food contamination at McDonalds gets a lot of attention, on a sheer scale level, they have magnitudes fewer food illness and contamination complaints than just about any other restaurant or chain on the planet.

McDonalds is the Molson/Labatts of the restaurant world. They get great economies of scale, and cut a few corners to keep things cheap (but not bottom-of-the-barrel cheap) and produce a passable, economical and safe product that can still be called a burger.

To be able to produce a burger for cheaper food cost than McDonalds is next to impossible. Even other chains can't match what McDonalds is able to do. Those that claim they can are lying or willing to cut corners at the cost of public safety. This is what Doug Ford is asking beer makers to do; produce something cheaper than the Big 3 already do (and already trim as much fat from the chain to do so).

You don't want cheaper food. Trust me.

Back