News   May 14, 2024
 414     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 374     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 435     0 

Premier Dalton McGuinty resigns

I like Kathleen Wynne as a candidate. Would be cool to have a woman/lesbian premier.

I like Kathleen Wynne as a candidate. Would be cool to have a woman/lesbian premier.

I don't think either one are reasons to put someone in public office.

I don't really see anyone that's remotely 'qualified'. Glenn Murray is endorsed by Jim Basille and Smitherman. Jim Basille might be a good name to have, but having Smitherman's backing is never a good thing. I still can't believe how this guy (Smitherman) carries any clout with the libs....

Last edited:
But I can also tell you that the Conservatives will be salivating at the prospect of taking on a Lesbian ...
Why would it make any difference to them what the sexual orientation of a candidate is?

The Conservatives have had Lesbian candidates themselves before. I can't imagine why this would be an issue for anyone.

I don't presume to know Ms. Wynne's reasons at any point of her life. She wouldn't be the first person to live in a heterosexual relationship because it was "the right thing to do" and then, later in life, to come out. No one decides to become gay, straight, bi or transgender. One may live a lifestyle that doesn't reflect one's sexuality out of fear, confusion or for any number of reasons. Fortunately, society has been changing and it's much more common (and "socially acceptable") for people to live openly and not hide their sexuality.

I don't see what her gender or sexuality have to do with her suitability as a candidate. I want to know her policies and platform.

Last edited:
Well, as a straight Christian, I happen to agree with a lot of the actions/policies you've posted above, so go figure. I didn't even know (or care) about Ms. Wynne's sexuality until I heard mention of it in a news item a couple of days ago. As for bullying, I'd say the Catholic school system is one of the worst offenders and should be abolished.

L
What denomination are you? How can a Christian be gay? There's no such thing as a gay Christian.

Jesus never said anything, specifically about homosexuality, but He did say this. Matthew 19:4-5 -- 4"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' 5and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? No where in the Old or New Testaments does it say that man & man or woman & woman should be united. There is nothing in the bible that condones homosexuality. Jesus also never said anything about rape, but from that silence we don't argue that He thought that it was not sin. He upheld Mosaic law, which condemned that act.

How is the Catholic school system one of the worst offenders? Provide some examples.
I said I was straight actually. I have no issues with a Christian being gay, because at it's heart, Christianity is about love, and I cannot imagine Jesus condemning someone based on who they love. That's why there is an LGBT and friends group at my church. Unfortunately, many of the humans who profess to follow his teachings are far more closed minded than Jesus is. And that's why the Catholic system as a whole is a bully, and prefers to inundate people in a culture of thou shalt not rather than thou shalt, and threaten years of purgatory and even limbo for innocent babies, and causes people to live in guilt and shame. Obviously, our views do Christianity are miles apart, so there is no point discussing this. And having seen your posts about transgendered people on another thread, discussion is pointless.

But this thread is not about Christianity or being gay. For my part, I won't support Ms Wynne because she is a woman or because she is gay, but because of her record and her platform. In fact, I don't even know if I will support her or not, because she has been in tight with McGuinty for so long, and I find that far more concerning than anything else.

Why would it make any difference to them what the sexual orientation of a candidate is?

The Conservatives have had Lesbian candidates themselves before. I can't imagine why this would be an issue for anyone.

Many Conservatives would have no problem with an openly Lesbian premier (I don't) but there is a perception, and not just in the PC party, that small-town Ontario will be less likely to support Wynne. That, coupled with her (again perceived) friendliness toward unions, makes her a juicier target for the right.

I'm not saying I approve of these calculations, I'm just saying they exist. I also think these same calculations will ultimately prevent the OLP from making her its leader. Pupatello is a much better bet to win.

Last edited:
I don't presume to know Ms. Wynne's reasons at any point of her life. She wouldn't be the first person to live in a heterosexual relationship because it was "the right thing to do"
in other words, convincingly live a lie until deemed unnecessary. That sounds like a perfect politician. Heck we all have skeletons in the closest I suppose.

I have to give Wynne and Murray credit, they're now open about who they are. Let the voters decide if sexual orientation matters or not. For those who think it's none of the voter's business, well politics is all about perceived personal character, and gender is seen as fair game.

picard-facepalm2.jpg

Oh bother...

IFirstly, Catholics and Christians, in general, aren't coercing anyone to follow their beliefs. So, you're labeling them as bullies isn't true. Merely voicing one's opinion that we should obey God's word, isn't the same thing as forcing someone to submit and go against their free will.
Are you Catholic?

Back