News   Jul 22, 2024
 113     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 339     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 400     0 

shawn: I recall seeing the old motto set in stone on a building recently, beneath the old coat of arms - maybe the Toronto Hydro building at 14 Carlton?

Perhaps, like vengeful Pharoahs, the forces of promiscuous Diversity will chip off such representations of the detested previous regime, and replace them with the new arms and motto - to better reflect our new code of values.

Ooh, like Cecil Hardwicke in The Ten Commandments: "...stricken from every book and tablet. Stricken from every pylon and obelisk..."

ap: One of the Egyptian Queens was treated that way, after her death, by her vile and warlike Pharoah nephew. In the ROM there is a room with plaster casts of a beautiful wall relief that depict an expedition she organized to the Persian Gulf to extend trade and promote her country, and there she is ... gone! I forget her name. There's a book about her in Nicholas Ho.

Well, sure, Cecil B. Demille didn't just make things up! Well, hardly ever.

Defacing was a pretty common, serious punishment. At least until the vanadals and prudes started knocking the pee pees of classical statues instead.

Did the pee pees go to the equivalent of the elephant's graveyard I wonder?

If they'd spend as much time rounding up all the lost pee pees as they're spending trying to find Jimmy Hoffa we'd all be much better served, in my humble opinion.

If the find Jimmy Hoffa, a year after Deep Throat's identity was revealed, the only great mystery left will be who Carly Simon sings about in You're So Vain.

... and, closer to home, the mystery of where Ambrose Small ended up.

It's always amusing if you've not looked at a thread for while, and then you go into page two. What in heavens is Babel going on about with lost pee-pees and how could that relate to a flag? Get me back to page one!

I loathe above all the Ontario flag. Hate the Montreal flag. Of course, love the Amsterdam flag and the XXX bollards all around the city.

If Toronto changed its logo to "Lock Bike to Post" then all our bike stands would become de facto advertisements for the city.

I think what makes me love the Montreal flag is that it's so out of character for modern Montreal. Frankly, I'm flabbergasted that it's managed to survive this long and hope it holds on as a historical quirk.

I'm indifferent to the Ontario flag but shudder at the thought of the provincial government being given the task of coming up with a replacement.

I absolutely hate the Toronto flag. It has no character and the use of a letter to identify you city is uncreative, unoriginal, and just plain lame. I'm all for simplicity but this doesn't do it. Surely we can come up with something better than that?

Though I think we manage to have a better flag than Calgary:
699px-Flag_of_Calgary%2C_Alberta.svg.png

Wow, and I thought we have it bad. Looks like Arby's...then again, it's all about beef.

AoD

PS: It could use a hint of blue - Steven Harper

Indeed, though I would suggest E Pluribus Unum first, in that regard.

AoD

Back