1.7K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 535     0 

That truly is awful.

I like Vancouver's flag

ca-bc-vancouver-l.gif

Hamilton's also does the trick.

ca-on-ha.gif

I dislike Ottawa's, which is not much more than the corporate logo.

flag_fr-1.jpg

One of my favourite municipal flags is Quebec's:

3005.706884763507106038.gif

Brampton, Mississauga, etc., just slap their civic shields on a white or blue background. They're better than most corporate flags, which are just the name and/or logo.

No discussion on Toronto's flag is, in my opinion, complete without a look at the old Scarborough flag...

ca-on-scarborough.gif

re: Calgary's flag

It always seems ironic to me that Calgary is Canada's conservative hotbed yet their flag and the colours of their sports teams are all Liberal red. The opposite can also kind of be said about Toronto.

"I'm indifferent to the Ontario flag but shudder at the thought of the provincial government being given the task of coming up with a replacement."

Actually, I'm part of a Yahoo Group dedicated to changing the Ontario flag, and there are some wonderful designs on there. Now if only we could figure out a way to get the masses to give a damn :b

"I absolutely hate the Toronto flag. It has no character and the use of a letter to identify you city is just uncreative, unoriginal, and just plain lame."

Normally I'd agree that using any kind of script on a flag is one of the most undesirable elements one could include since symbols should never have an explanantion on them, but I think the Toronto flag gets away with it because the "T" is also made to evoke city hall. I think it's creative in its simplicity, which not many flags manage to do.

Now, it'd be really offensive if someone flew this at Rideau Hall
golliwog-170.gif

re: that calgary flag: it's like pac-man visits the stampede.

spmarshall said:
Brampton, Mississauga, etc., just slap their civic shields on a white or blue background. They're better than most corporate flags, which are just the name and/or logo.

My hometown's flag with the pervasive beaver...

ca-on-eg.gif

Suggested in another thread by an experienced flag designer.

areas0510.jpg

The whole exercise is a little silly, but the design as put forth by Mark Lostracco is indeed quite iconic - simple capital "T" set in a sky-blue background.

Now I have the urge to see it *everywhere*

I detect sarcasm but would like to see it anyways. Any links to the image?

Enviro:

Actually, no sarcasm on my part - I really do like that flag. I couldn't find an example online, but just think the Swiss flag with a light blue background, and a thick capital T instead of a cross.

AoD

I find the "T" a little too literal. What about a flag divided diagonally from lower left to upper right, with crisp white on the upper left and navy blue on the lower bottom (the blue representing the water of lake Ontario). Perhaps a small, multi-coloureded crown symbol in the upper left as a nod to our diversity (the colours), our british heritage and the fact that we tend to like royal iconography here. Just an idea.

I also agree that we should replace the flag of Ontario. Royal iconography is one thing, but directly stealing the image of another nation is pathetic. Make no bones about it, Quebec is pretty wimpy doing the same thing with the fleur de lys: Back off and get your own symbol!!

My mother likes the present Ontario flag *precisely* because it's such a Red Ensign-era anachronism. So, heck...why not keep it

Back