News   Apr 26, 2024
 583     2 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 221     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 703     0 

Poppies

I think a lot of people are a bit self-centered and think the poppy or remembrance day celebrates a war or our British past.

However, I think one needs to look past their own viewpoints about things and realize that remembering all those people who died in those wars is important.

Perhaps not to glorify them that they died for the greater good maybe, but the fact that war has a terrible cost to everyone and by remembering that yearly that ensures we do not repeat the mistakes of the past.

I would love to know if this was live or taped. If it was taped, would they not have seen red flags all over? Do they have a plan B for when he says things he shouldn't?

Last night he was on Fox with Tucker Carlson and he was backpedaling but not because he felt bad for what he said about "those people", no, it was do as he could protect himself.

So those of us who disagree with what he said are fascists.

It's live (how else could they discuss game events that recently happened) but if I recall, they put in a several second delay a few years ago after another gaffe controversy. Part of me wonders why the producer didn't use it, but his rapid fire, scattershot, partial/incomplete sentence, language mangling style must make it virtually impossible to catch something in time.

It's live (how else could they discuss game events that recently happened) but if I recall, they put in a several second delay a few years ago after another gaffe controversy. Part of me wonders why the producer didn't use it, but his rapid fire, scattershot, partial/incomplete sentence, language mangling style must make it virtually impossible to catch something in time.

It wasn't just a single swearword - but an actual comment that need to be taken in full to understand the gravity of what he have said - a few seconds of delay probably isn't sufficient - and you'd have to bleep out the whole thing even if you could, which makes it that much worse.

I think a lot of people are a bit self-centered and think the poppy or remembrance day celebrates a war or our British past.

However, I think one needs to look past their own viewpoints about things and realize that remembering all those people who died in those wars is important.

Perhaps not to glorify them that they died for the greater good maybe, but the fact that war has a terrible cost to everyone and by remembering that yearly that ensures we do not repeat the mistakes of the past.

Remembrance Day is never a celebration - it's a sombre event befitting of its' name. Personally I have seen very little blatant disrespect for it regardless of one's political views - doing so would be about as tasteful as protesting at a funeral or desecrating a grave.

AoD

Last edited:
Remembrance Day should be a holiday in Ontario. There's nothing between Thanksgiving and Christmas, which is far too long, especially at such a dreary time of year weatherwise.

Except the point wasn't to give someone a holiday so that they can do their own thing. In fact I think the fact that is a relatively "normal" workday with the interruption heightens awareness that would otherwise be drowned out by making it a holiday.

AoD

Except the point wasn't to give someone a holiday so that they can do their own thing. In fact I think the fact that is a relatively "normal" workday with the interruption heightens awareness that would otherwise be drowned out by making it a holiday.

AoD

True.

But that doesn't negate the absence of a statutory holiday between Thanksgiving and Christmas (roughly 10 weeks), in Ontario.

Also worth noting, Remembrance Day is a statutory holiday in all of the western provinces, as well as NB and PEI. So this has been the norm in six provinces for the longest time.

True.

But that doesn't negate the absence of a statutory holiday between Thanksgiving and Christmas (roughly 10 weeks), in Ontario.

Also worth noting, Remembrance Day is a statutory holiday in all of the western provinces, as well as NB and PEI. So this has been the norm in six provinces for the longest time.

Precisely, and it would allow more people to attend ceremonies.

I am afraid it will be used mostly for anything but attending ceremonies. I much rather set up other kinds of arrangements.

AoD

Given those other provinces who have Remembrance Day as a Stat. Holiday, there must be some evidence as to the impact of that on attendance at ceremonies etc.

I'd be curious to know what impact, if any, there is, one way or the other.

Hmmm:

This story seems to suggest that the highest attendance level for Remembrance Day ceremonies is in Alberta, where this day is a Statutory Holiday.

Given those other provinces who have Remembrance Day as a Stat. Holiday, there must be some evidence as to the impact of that on attendance at ceremonies etc.

I'd be curious to know what impact, if any, there is, one way or the other.

Hmmm:

This story seems to suggest that the highest attendance level for Remembrance Day ceremonies is in Alberta, where this day is a Statutory Holiday.

That's insufficient data - as you know correlation vs causation - especially in the absence of comparable information for other provinces where it is also a stat holiday.

AoD

Remembrance Day should be a holiday in Ontario. There's nothing between Thanksgiving and Christmas, which is far too long, especially at such a dreary time of year weatherwise.

I always found it strange Remembrance Day is statutory holiday in every province except Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia.

Out of principle I've never been in favour of Remembrance Day being a stat (and the fact that it's a long stretch between Thanksgiving and Christmas is the least valid reason). Economically, statutory holidays can have a significant business cost, where most either close and experience loss of income or open and often pay higher employee costs). Interestingly, according to the attached, there are only four days that are common holidays nationwide.

Out of principle I've never been in favour of Remembrance Day being a stat (and the fact that it's a long stretch between Thanksgiving and Christmas is the least valid reason). Economically, statutory holidays can have a significant business cost, where most either close and experience loss of income or open and often pay higher employee costs). Interestingly, according to the attached, there are only four days that are common holidays nationwide.

Kids should be exposed to Remembrance Day - so they should be in school. As long as we are forcing teachers to work that day, everyone else should work as well.
Hey gov't workers - I'm talking to you.
Maybe they could mandate a few hours off for workers to attend ceremonies - maybe along the lines of the mandatory time off to vote.

I don't know about that. Businesses seem to survive in the rest of Canada where Remembrance Day is a stat.

How about this (and you know I'm a proponent of working less):

November15th, Almost-Winter Feast Day.

Sounds legit.

Every month should have a statutory holiday (at least one). It's just humane.

Back