News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.9K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

Poppies

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Did anyone have trouble finding them this year? I couldn't find them anywhere - and of course, there are no Second World War vets selling them anymore.

AoD

Did anyone have trouble finding them this year? I couldn't find them anywhere - and of course, there are no Second World War vets selling them anymore.

AoD
Ask Don Cherry, he should have some extras laying around

Ask Don Cherry, he should have some extras laying around

Sarcasm aside (and rightly so) - I wanted to buy one (or a few, since I lose at least one of them every year) but I don't have any luck finding them. I was told you can find them at SDM or TIm's, but couldn't see any when I was at either.

The Legion need to rethink their distribution strategy. Maybe have a yearly subscription model? On the other hand - this is a great idea:

AoD

Last edited:
Reactions: DSC
I know they have had trouble finding volunteers in the past, as they are getting old. My uncle hasn't done poppies the past few years. He's in 80s now and has trouble walking.

Good luck getting younger people to volunteer.

I had not realized it was a problem. I got one fairly readily this year at a Tim's and, surprisingly, only needed one. I keep one permanently in my truck. Since they are offered (not sold) by the Legion, many younger members are still working so personal 'sales' become limited. I don't know if some boxes at mom-and-pops' and other stores are being limited because of thefts or for some other reason. I heard a news item the other day that one problem they are facing is more and more people not carrying cash.

I bought one a couple of weeks ago at a craft brewery (Great Lakes).

Another question is - how have they not yet solved the crappy design that all but guarantees they won't stay on for very long??

I bought one a couple of weeks ago at a craft brewery (Great Lakes).

Another question is - how have they not yet solved the crappy design that all but guarantees they won't stay on for very long??
If they never fell off, you'd never need to buy a new one.

I had not realized it was a problem. I got one fairly readily this year at a Tim's and, surprisingly, only needed one. I keep one permanently in my truck. Since they are offered (not sold) by the Legion, many younger members are still working so personal 'sales' become limited. I don't know if some boxes at mom-and-pops' and other stores are being limited because of thefts or for some other reason. I heard a news item the other day that one problem they are facing is more and more people not carrying cash.

I hardly go to Tim's so that's one problem (and I am sure I am not the only one). It isn't just a matter of not carrying cash - but the increasing prevalence and use of self-serve kiosks meant that it will be an issue going forward. That's why I suggested subscription as an alternative. You can simplify transactions, reduce the problems associated with cash collection - and can get to know your donor base instead of scrumping for mostly loose change randomly.

I know they have had trouble finding volunteers in the past, as they are getting old. My uncle hasn't done poppies the past few years. He's in 80s now and has trouble walking.

I think they have stopped the practice entirely because of the aging vets.

AoD

Last edited:
I hardly go to Tim's so that's one problem (and I am sure I am not the only one). It isn't just a matter of not carrying cash - but the increasing prevalence and use of self-serve kiosks meant that it will be an issue going forward. That's why I suggested subscription as an alternative. You can simplify transactions, reduce the problems associated with cash collection - and can get to know your donor base instead of scrumping for mostly loose change randomly.

I think they have stopped the practice entirely because of the aging vets.

AoD
Interestingly, I was just on a private (non-CAF) military forum and members seem to be reporting the same problem across the country. I don't know if they've stopped the practice of vets selling poppies completely but it certainly seems dramatically reduced. In some areas, cadet programs help with 'sales', but that has its own limitations. They may have to re-consider their model.. The issue of the pin is a long standing one. I don't mind; I'd happily buy ten if I had to, but I suppose they have to weigh production costs against donations.

A little off topic, but I came across this site which visualizes Toronto's war deaths from WWI, WWII and Korea. It was under a discussion surrounding Don Cherry's recent verbal gaffe. Without going to the numbers, if you flip between the two world wars, it visually seems that the city lost more in WWII than WWI although WWI killed roughly 1/3 more Canadian military (or it's an optical illusion). Perhaps an indication of increased urbanization in the intervening years.

Interestingly, I was just on a private (non-CAF) military forum and members seem to be reporting the same problem across the country. I don't know if they've stopped the practice of vets selling poppies completely but it certainly seems dramatically reduced. In some areas, cadet programs help with 'sales', but that has its own limitations. They may have to re-consider their model.. The issue of the pin is a long standing one. I don't mind; I'd happily buy ten if I had to, but I suppose they have to weigh production costs against donations.

I haven't seen a single vet on the TTC system selling poppies this year - though admittedly they were already rare the past few years. It is frankly unreasonable to expect any of them to stand for hours in unheated stations.

No complaints about the pin - it's a minor inconvenience and there are easy DIY fixes (and no, not by sticking a Canadian pin the middle). I still have poppies from previous years, but re-wearing them is bad form.

AoD

Last edited:
Breaking news: Cherry was just fired by Sportsnet. His broadcast days are finally, permanently, over.

That's kind of weird. My guess is he refused to publicly apologize and gave no "climbdowns"? Anyhow, I don't think we should soil the notion of wearing a poppy because of his rants - he might have chosen to use it to further his BS, but the symbol itself has to be above that.

Another thing - I haven't seen any Korean or Afghan vets selling them. Granted most of the latter are still in working age, but it was the costliest (in terms of lives lost/maimed) CAF campaign for the last half century?

AoD

Last edited:
I would say Don Cherry has been a huge hindrance to the popularity of hockey in Canada since his heydays in the 2000s...

His style of Hockey commentary pretty much is saying "non-whites you are not welcome"

Good observation. We want new Canadians to get into sports, including hockey. There is even a Punjabi broadcast of HNIC. Then Don tells them they aren't welcome in sports....

Back