419     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 685     1 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mississauga will ban new development along Hurontario until the LRT gets funding.

Drum then goes on to discuss how boneheaded an idea it is for Hudak to want to cancel the LRT.

If Hudak does win, it'll be interesting to see how long that will hold up. If I were a developer and were proposing something that is within the current zoning, and my application is denied simply because Council doesn't want anything new until the LRT is funded, I'd be bringing that before the OMB so damn quickly it would make their heads spin.

That's vague. Hudak needs to come out with specifics. And hourly service is not good enough for you, robmausser, canarob, corsuganti and everyone else. It should be half hour considering the Liberals have promised 15 minutes.

yes...30 minute service is better than hourly and 15 is better than 30 minute......but all that people were hoping for within the short to medium term on the non-LS lines was hourly off peak....the promise of 15 minute everywhere came out of the blue.

I am only one voter but I can tell you that when I weigh the issues (and we forget sometimes on a transit discussion there are more than one issues) I would be far more attracted to a plan that promised 30 minutes (as is) on LS and hourly everywhere else and a credible plan to balance the budget over the current 15 minutes everywhere, increase the deficit and we will balance the budget later (but with not credible/defined plan on how).....just one man's opinion.

If Hudak does win, it'll be interesting to see how long that will hold up. If I were a developer and were proposing something that is within the current zoning, and my application is denied simply because Council doesn't want anything new until the LRT is funded, I'd be bringing that before the OMB so damn quickly it would make their heads spin.

As long as it was within current zoning and met the principles of "sound planning" then the OMB would support your application and overturn any municipal ban. That is its purpose....to ensure zoning and sound planning are the criteria for supporting or rejecting proposals.

As long as it was within current zoning and met the principles of "sound planning" then the OMB would support your application and overturn any municipal ban. That is its purpose....to ensure zoning and sound planning are the criteria for supporting or rejecting proposals.

Yup, that's my point. The City imposing a "ban" on development along the corridor until it's funded has no teeth to it, unless the proposal would require some sort of ZBL. I think it's more of a political play than anything else, because it won't stand up to any kind of serious test from a developer.

Yup, that's my point. The City imposing a "ban" on development along the corridor until it's funded has no teeth to it, unless the proposal would require some sort of ZBL. I think it's more of a political play than anything else, because it won't stand up to any kind of serious test from a developer.

Yes, but in theory they could pass an interim-control by-law if they say they're doing a new secondary plan or something like that, right? That would buy them a couple of years and keep the OMB at bay, but it's not a carte blanche and, as you say, I don't know it's very likely either.

Yes, but in theory they could pass an interim-control by-law if they say they're doing a new secondary plan or something like that, right? That would buy them a couple of years and keep the OMB at bay, but it's not a carte blanche and, as you say, I don't know it's very likely either.
The city has said they are prepare to bring interim-control by-law in to deal with the LRT issue. They have done it before and won at OMB after bigger developers appeal the bylaw.

What is being said is smart growth is being put in backward without a rapid transit line in place. Just think what the Yonge Line and Yonge St look like today if only buses were used on that Line in place of subway.

We have another 9 days to wait until we know who going to run this province.

The city has said they are prepare to bring interim-control by-law in to deal with the LRT issue. They have done it before and won at OMB after bigger developers appeal the bylaw.

What is being said is smart growth is being put in backward without a rapid transit line in place. Just think what the Yonge Line and Yonge St look like today if only buses were used on that Line in place of subway.

I live in Thornhill where 35-storey towers are going up on Yonge while wait for a subway (and those towers are going up because of a new 2dary plan that anticipated a now-in-limbo subway) so that's not hard to think about at all :) Yonge north of Finch right now is kind of ground zero for "smart growth without rapid transit." It's scary, the lack of coordination.

The bus route along the corridor is still far from overcapacity.. neither are the roads really. Yonge doesn't get bad until Steeles. It takes insane amounts of residential density to build high levels of traffic compared to employment lands which have much higher traffic rates.

Hudak won the debate. He was the most charismatic and none of Wynns' challenges to his platform affected his message.

I thought he did ok....I thought Horwath did marginally less than ok (but I think there is real flaw in her stance) I thought Wynne did a fair bit less than ok.....she flat out refused to answer the question that guy from KW posed about how afar increasing the deficit for one more year she would balance it two years later.

I think the biggest mistake Hudak made was letting Wynne continue to say "your plan will put us back in recession".....other than Wynne, I have not heard a single person say that....Wynne keeps mocking the lack of economist backing to Hudak's "Million Jobs Plan" but he lets her keep saying the R word without challenging her to back it up with any credible economic backing.

Hudak won the debate the same way Ford won the debate. Well rehearsed, fake smile, bad acting, lies, anti-tax mantra. Hudak kept hammering his points, unfortunately without anyone really challenging him (as they should).

I live in Thornhill where 35-storey towers are going up on Yonge while wait for a subway (and those towers are going up because of a new 2dary plan that anticipated a now-in-limbo subway) so that's not hard to think about at all :) Yonge north of Finch right now is kind of ground zero for "smart growth without rapid transit." It's scary, the lack of coordination.
All Yonge St needs in your area is an LRT, not a subway. Know the area and have a few 100's of photos and videos.

The Yonge extension needs to go to Steeles 20 years ago, let alone today.

Come 2050/60, a new Yonge line will be needed and that when you may see the subway up to RHC let alone north of RH that the city planners have being calling for. Can't put an ROW in the centre of RH as there no room and must go underground for any true surface route.

Boils down to lack of vision and no thought about transit other than the car.

All Yonge St needs in your area is an LRT, not a subway. Know the area and have a few 100's of photos and videos.

The Yonge extension needs to go to Steeles 20 years ago, let alone today.

This has been discussed to death on other threads so I won't belabour the point but IMHO that's just way off-base. There are major plans by the province, region, local municipalities and Metrolinx for development tied to a transit hub at highway 7; stopping the subway at a totally un-natural terminus that happens to be the municipal border and introducing a transfer 2 km short of the hub is way beyond counter-productive. The only reason anyone ever says Steeles makes sense, with all due respect, is because that's where Toronto ends. If it made sense to go there 20 years ago, how can it NOT make sense today (especially with a roughly-10-year construction timeline) to not grow across the border, where Markham and Vaughan have both done more growth planning than Toronto, to a transit station where GO and YRT already converge, in addition to the planned transitway? There's just no logic to that stump.

Anyway, that would be nearly totally off-thread except it goes to the discussions of co-coordinating land use and transit planning. You can't demand municipalities intensify, watch them do so and then not provide the infrastructure and that's the point we're getting to. Of course, I'm not sure Hudak cares about either of the two issues, despite his Ford-esque fandom for transit that doesn't take up road space. I know it was many moons ago, but I'm inclined not to trust a guy who was at the table when they killed Eglinton and amputated Sheppard. Wynne should do what he did tonight and ask him why he voted for that and why didn't he just say no?

Just a point of order to the mods. If this thread is about everything to do with election politics, should it be in the transport section?

Well there was an Ontario election thread in Toronto Issues. Then it got moved to a part of UT where nobody goes. Something I find a little surprising since this election is arguably the most relevant issue for our city at the moment. So I suppose this thread is picking up the discussions that would have happened in the other thread if it wasnt moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back