398     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 670     1 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hudak won the debate. He was the most charismatic and none of Wynns' challenges to his platform affected his message.
If you think Hudak won the debate, you must find used-car salesmen charming. Seemed very smarmy to me. And he insisted on repeating his million-jobs lie, even after he was outed of having messed up the math.

If you think Hudak won the debate, you must find used-car salesmen charming. Seemed very smarmy to me. And he insisted on repeating his million-jobs lie, even after he was outed of having messed up the math.

I'm listening to the debate right now, Did he just said that he would resign if he didn't create a million job?

yes - he said he would resign after 8 years in power if he didn't create 1 million jobs

yes - he said he would resign after 8 years in power if he didn't create 1 million jobs

I'm listening right now to the Transportation and Infrastructure segment, Wynne as performed poorly advocating for the status quo while Horwath performance was surprisingly underwhelming. Hudak is clearly the winner of this debate.

-Horwath reminding Wynne that she was the transportation minister who cut 4 Billions off Transit City was a real uppercut. Wynne was just mumbling non sense afterwards.

I don't believe in polls too much. In Quebec, the sovereignty party PQ was projected to win a majority and at the end of the Quebec election, Marois had lost her seat along with senior member of cabinet and they suffered the worst beating since the PQ was created.

The polls were predicting a liberal majority in the Quebec election, exactly what occurred.

Wynne attacked Hudak on his lack of support for the Ottawa and Kitchener LRTs and he responded with some unrelated comment about taxes. Wynne won the transit debate, though it's probably the only one she won. Hudak was weak on the final question as well, but otherwise showed well.

Hudak won the debate overall I think, but not decisively. Preliminary polling from last night still shows a significant 7 point lead by the liberals, so it doesn't seem to have affected much.

Last edited:
I'm listening right now to the Transportation and Infrastructure segment, Wynne as performed poorly advocating for the status quo while Horwath performance was surprisingly underwhelming. Hudak is clearly the winner of this debate.

-Horwath reminding Wynne that she was the transportation minister who cut 4 Billions off Transit City was a real uppercut. Wynne was just mumbling non sense afterwards.

I don't believe in polls too much. In Quebec, the sovereignty party PQ was projected to win a majority and at the end of the Quebec election, Marois had lost her seat along with senior member of cabinet and they suffered the worst beating since the PQ was created.

Near the end of the election the polls clearly showed the Liberals ahead in most of Quebec’s regions. It was no surprise they won a majority.

Hudak won the debate overall I think, but not decisively. Preliminary polling from last night still shows a significant 7 point lead by the liberals, so it doesn't seem to have affected much.

Basically this. Hudak might have won the battle, but he isn't winning the war. I think we end up seeing another Liberal minority (a majority would be great), hopefully Andrea can come to her senses and see that working with Wynne is a far better solution than Hudak as Premier - 'I'll resign after 8 years' of course he will after he screws up the province to the point his own party will want him out. Hopefully after Hudak fails the OPC moves more centre-right to really offer an alternative to those upset with the Grits. Until then, Wynne is our only hope (well from a transit perspective at least)

The polls were predicting a liberal majority in the Quebec election, exactly what occurred.

Wynne attacked Hudak on his lack of support for the Ottawa and Kitchener LRTs and he responded with some unrelated comment about taxes. Wynne won the transit debate, though it's probably the only one she won.

I definitely don't think people were paying too much attention to the debates last night. Wynne performed poorly, though I wasn't too surprised about that. All three candidates are not inspiring speakers. Hudak definitely came off as feeling a bit fake, as if he was over-coached and scripted.

Regardless, transit is something I definitely think needs to be addressed, and I have little confidence that Hudak will follow through on his promises, especially those on Go Transit.

Wynne attacked Hudak on his lack of support for the Ottawa and Kitchener LRTs and he responded with some unrelated comment about taxes. Wynne won the transit debate, though it's probably the only one she won. Hudak was weak on the final question as well, but otherwise showed well.

I'm glad Wynne brought up the Ottawa LRT. Based on the way Hudak shrugged it off, that should give anyone in Ottawa who wants transit pause when they think about voting PC. Hopefully the local Liberal candidates use that as a wedge issue, especially in ridings like Ottawa West-Nepean (my riding), Ottawa-Orleans, and Ottawa South, who would all benefit substantially from the Phase II plan.

I think Horwath probably lost a fair amount of 416 support with her "dirty diesel" comment. That one floored me.

In general, I think Wynne didn't win the debate, but the two leaders failed to deliver a knock-out blow, which given the record of the Liberals, is kind of a victory for Wynne in itself.

EDIT: Just checked 308's most recent riding numbers, and Ottawa West-Nepean right now is 52% likely PC, so basically a toss-up. Chiarelli better hammer this LRT point home. The PC candidate, Randal Denley, seems like a good guy (he came to my door a week or so ago), but I just can't stomach voting for the PC platform.

Last edited:
My situation is the opposite, a slimeball PC candidate who will win regardless because of how conservative the riding is. Meanwhile the liberal candidate seems like a genuinely nice guy.

Almost everyone but you is saying he won. Of course sounded smarmy, that's just his demeanor.
I guess I have a very low tolerance of that kind of stuff. And of the used-car salesman personality.

I'm not sure how standing there, continuing to claim that he's going to create one million jobs, when everyone knows he used person years over a 8-year period, and telling these bizarre tales of his family is a win. Instead of telling us why all the economists are wrong, he simply said that he'd resign in 8 years if he was wrong. Doesn't instill much confidence.

Did he win? No. Did he lose less badly than the others? Perhaps. It was an all-around failure as far as I could tell.

Where do you get this. All the polls are right here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_general_election,_2014#Opinion_polls

The election results were very similar to the final polls. The PQ certainly fell during the election, but the polling simply reflects the change in support during the campain. Peladeau turning the election into Quebec being an independent country was a huge game-changer, and PQ support fell accordingly. Not a huge shock, as even in the past when there have been referendum's, the PQ has tried to sell that Quebec would still have some kind of association with Canada, rather than being a completely independent nation.

He also said he would resign if he did not balance the budget in 2 years.

Balancing the budget is trivial if you don't care about the long-term impact and completely ignore infrastructure maintenance backlog in the equation (as all parties do).

Mothball 50% of hospitals and other health-care facilities for 6 months. That's enough to eliminate the deficit for a couple years (3 months in each budget).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back