465     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 722     1 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. It's an important metric. It doesn't matter if the Libs have all the support in the world if their supporters wont get off the couch to go vote.

I reject that notion, I personally think "likely voters" should be renamed "loyal" voters. The way they list people as "likely voters" if you reply that you are certain to vote for a certain party. But there is a lot of voters who vote strategy wise (against somebody) likely voters tabulation will not count them. Even though they are for certain going to vote but just not sure who yet. Now between PC, Libs and NDP which two parties are most likely to have a voter base that will flow between the two. I think most would agree that Libs & NDP has more crossover appeal to each other than the PC's . Therefore a lot of these strategy left-wing voters aren't being tabulated in the "likely voters" count even though the WILL vote for a Lib or NDP (that's why PC likely voter number is so high, right-wing only has one option)

I will give an example. Let's say there are two people. They are both 100% certain they will vote on election day
PERSON A: is an anti-lefty. His riding is currently Lib 40, PC 30, NDP 30 split. He is asked who he's thinking of vote for? He answers PC. They follow up "Are certain you will vote for them?" He answers yes he wants to defeat the Libs and that's the only rightwing option (He will be listed as a LIKELY VOTER)
PERSON B: is an anti-Conservative. Her riding is currently PC 40, Lib 30, NDP 30 split. She is asked who sh's thinking of voting for? She answers LIBS. They follow up "Are you certain you will vote for them" She answers, not really because she wants to defeat the PC and will vote for the NDP if they are closer
(She will NOT be considered a likely voter)

They are both going to vote, they are both voting as more of an anti-vote for whoever is the leader. But the right-winger has one option so he is likely to vote PC (and be counted in the likely voting poll) While the lefty has a couple of options open to her and still not fully decided (therefore will not be counted as likely voter) even though she has every intention to vote.

I seriously can't stand CFRB acting like the Ipsos number is the only numbers that matter simply because they have a connection with Bell media. It's fine for them to tabulate their number (even though in 2011 election they were the most off of any of the major polling firms) but for CFRB news and talk department acting like that's the only numbers that count even though other firms (with better success ratio) has totally different numbers, is so false on their part. I think there should be at least a mention the Ipsos number are not in agreement with any of the other polling firms.

I reject that notion, I personally think "likely voters" should be renamed "loyal" voters. The way they list people as "likely voters" if you reply that you are certain to vote for a certain party. But there is a lot of voters who vote strategy wise (against somebody) likely voters tabulation will not count them. Even though they are for certain going to vote but just not sure who yet. Now between PC, Libs and NDP which two parties are most likely to have a voter base that will flow between the two. I think most would agree that Libs & NDP has more crossover appeal to each other than the PC's . Therefore a lot of these strategy left-wing voters aren't being tabulated in the "likely voters" count even though the WILL vote for a Lib or NDP (that's why PC likely voter number is so high, right-wing only has one option)

I will give an example. Let's say there are two people. They are both 100% certain they will vote on election day
PERSON A: is an anti-lefty. His riding is currently Lib 40, PC 30, NDP 30 split. He is asked who he's thinking of vote for? He answers PC. They follow up "Are certain you will vote for them?" He answers yes he wants to defeat the Libs and that's the only rightwing option (He will be listed as a LIKELY VOTER)
PERSON B: is an anti-Conservative. Her riding is currently PC 40, Lib 30, NDP 30 split. She is asked who sh's thinking of voting for? She answers LIBS. They follow up "Are you certain you will vote for them" She answers, not really because she wants to defeat the PC and will vote for the NDP if they are closer
(She will NOT be considered a likely voter)

They are both going to vote, they are both voting as more of an anti-vote for whoever is the leader. But the right-winger has one option so he is likely to vote PC (and be counted in the likely voting poll) While the lefty has a couple of options open to her and still not fully decided (therefore will not be counted as likely voter) even though she has every intention to vote.

I seriously can't stand CFRB acting like the Ipsos number is the only numbers that matter simply because they have a connection with Bell media. It's fine for them to tabulate their number (even though in 2011 election they were the most off of any of the major polling firms) but for CFRB news and talk department acting like that's the only numbers that count even though other firms (with better success ratio) has totally different numbers, is so false on their part. I think there should be at least a mention the Ipsos number are not in agreement with any of the other polling firms.

Your mistake is expecting anything resembling integrity from CFRB 1010.

Uh oh...

Privatizing Toronto’s public transit an option if it would ease gridlock: Hudak

The Progressive Conservative platform includes a pledge to put the province in charge of all rail-based transit and major highways in the GTA.

The province, under Hudak, would then look to encourage new forms of investment in the system.

“Private sector investment, pension investment – that will build more subways and expand GO services and it will help create jobs.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/1352454/h...e-bill-to-reduce-traffic-gridlock-in-the-gta/

Last edited by a moderator:
The shareholders expect a profit for their investments. They want a return that is higher than the term deposit rates. That means higher fares, unless they get a high subsidy from one, two, or all three governments.

How does the fare system work in other places with private investment in their public transit? This is something for us to think about as Hudak is not the only party saying they will consider/seek private investment/partnerships for public transit.

The shareholders expect a profit for their investments. They want a return that is higher than the term deposit rates. That means higher fares, unless they get a high subsidy from one, two, or all three governments.

if the private firm has the freedom to let go any TTC employees it considers redundant and unproductive, and it is not necessarily true.
For example, how about eliminating most of the ticket inspectors and allow full automation except at a few big stations? How about driverless trains?

how about eliminating most of the ticket inspectors and allow full automation except at a few big stations?

That should be possible within the next few months as Presto rolls out.

I don't know if TTC will want to do that. They may want to maintain a customer service presence.

How about driverless trains?

Soon, very soon ksun. Driverless trains will be on 1 YUS. That's what the recent weekend closures have been about.

[video=youtube;yJlsSQBhKgE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJlsSQBhKgE[/video]

I wouldn't universally condemn privatization, but I think we need to have a very frank discussion of what form we're talking about - and one would do well to mention the 407 experience.

AoD

Uh oh...

http://globalnews.ca/news/1352454/h...e-bill-to-reduce-traffic-gridlock-in-the-gta/

All we can hope for is that he is aiming for private operation and not private ownership of the line.

Of course, expect none of this to be done with the permission of Toronto voters. After all, this is the party that dissolved the City of Toronto in the 1990s, despite overwhelming objections from the citizens in a referendum. This party has no respect for cities.

I wouldn't universally condemn privatization, but I think we need to have a very frank discussion of what form we're talking about - and one would do well to mention the 407 experience.

AoD

That's what I'm concerned about. Are we selling off the TTC wholesale (which honestly doesn't work well for customers: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/auckland-transit-blues/article1373160/), or are we seeing a further contracting out of services?

Given Tim's presence during the firesale privatization of the 407 and his general stance this election, I'm hedging my bets on the former.

That's what I'm concerned about. Are we selling off the TTC wholesale (which honestly doesn't work well for customers: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle1373160/), or are we seeing a further contracting out of services?

Given Tim's presence during the firesale privatization of the 407 and his general stance this election, I'm hedging my bets on the former.

To be fair, the 407 was a 99 year lease. I think there's a substantial difference between a 10 year contract and a 100 year contract.

Uh oh...

The Progressive Conservative platform includes a pledge to put the province in charge of all rail-based transit and major highways in the GTA.

The province, under Hudak, would then look to encourage new forms of investment in the system.

“Private sector investment, pension investment – that will build more subways and expand GO services and it will help create jobs.”

OMG. Did Hudak just turn ATU 113's anti-Liberal anti-privatization campaign into something that would make some NDPers vote Liberal!

OMG. Did Hudak just turn ATU 113's anti-Liberal anti-privatization campaign into something that would make some NDPers vote Liberal!

Hudak isn't going to win any seats in urban Toronto so it doesn't matter if he pisses transit users off. His platform is meant to make rural and suburban voters giddy with the possibility of him screwing over Toronto.

Hudak isn't going to win any seats in urban Toronto so it doesn't matter if he pisses transit users off. His platform is meant to make rural and suburban voters giddy with the possibility of him screwing over Toronto.
But those that will fall for that are already voting Tory.

He mightn't win any votes this way, but he might well push some NDP to the Liberals. Which could flip some Toronto NDP seats to the Liberals, turning a Liberal minority into a majority ... or a Tory minority to a Liberal minority.

I don't see that Hudak actually gains anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back