News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 786     1 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1

I've always voted Liberal but I'm seriously annoyed that there has been almost zero mention of what cuts will be necessary. You gotta hand it to Hudak, he's at least saying that deep cuts will be necessary, where as the other two parties keep talking about new expenditures

Liberals will be releasing their platform on Sunday.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario..._liberals_set_to_release_platform_sunday.html

I am hoping for some belt-tightening that'll appeal to the right-of-centre as well as investments in transit, but given their last budget, who knows which side of the political spectrum they'll be focusing on??

Because it hasn't happened for the past 40 years. You can't continue doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results

Like having the province run GO? Or how about micromanaging funding for transit projects at the provincial level? You are right - you can't continue doing the same thing (i.e. letting provincial politicians meddle in regional transit while refusing to create a regional governance structure) and expect a different outcome.

AoD

Last edited:
Ever wondered what NOTHING looks like? Here's your opportunity... Just [Control] + [F] "transit" or "Toronto" into the now-released Ontario NDP platform and you'll see it!

Funny...I did that exact thing and thought that exact same thing. Transit? Who needs it! Toronto? Where's that??

+1

I've always voted Liberal but I'm seriously annoyed that there has been almost zero mention of what cuts will be necessary. You gotta hand it to Hudak, he's at least saying that deep cuts will be necessary, where as the other two parties keep talking about new expenditures

That is funny....I have been a nearly exclusive conservative voter my whole life and am actually looking for a way/reason to vote Liberal.....I like the service aspects of the transit plan (yes, I quibble with parts of it but overall it is a plan I like)....but I need a better explanation of how they ever balance the budget.

Yes...as I have said before, though, the cuts are identified ..whereas the Liberal plan is...increase budget deficit for one year.....then balance it two years later....without telling us what they would cut. So, as I have asked before, why are the cuts that balance a $11.5B deficit in two years so disastrous but the cuts that would balance a $12.5B deficit in two years not so?

Maybe you have written it before, but I didn't notice it so succinct and to the point before.

Tim Hudak without glasses:
TimHudak.jpg

With glasses:
3075135.jpg

;)

Couple of things that jump out....that is 3 polls in 3 days from 3 firms....not sure how the folks at threehundredeight.com keep up with this.

Clearly, aside from the closeness of the race, the polling methods of the companies must be factoring into the different results (threehundredeight.com continually talks about sampling issues with forum as an example).

With Ipsos, the last 6 polls have shown virtually no movement in the Liberal support.....it has been 31 or 32% in all of them...and the movement of NDP and PC numbers seems to be at the cost of each other over those 6 polls.

I am no statistician but I wonder if that indicates (assuming Ipsos is on the mark) that outside of that 31/32% of core Liberal support there is a bit of an "anybody but Liberal" sentiment and that it moves back and forth between the other two and leaps over the Libs?

I am believing what you wrote in brackets is what makes most sense. Ipsos had the worst record out of the four recent poll (forum was the best, then Abacus, Ekos and Ipsos. In that order) agencies from 2011. Ipsos over-estimated Liberals in 2011. I think they adjusted their formula this year but over-adjusted and now are too off the other way.

Forum and Ekos numbers are very similar (Lib +7) Abacus has them tied and Ipsos still has PC leading but losing voters. I don't really see the "anybody but Liberal" I agree with Tiger, I see more of a "anybody but "Conservative". If you look at the likely voters, PC are still strong. They are a loyal to a single party no matter what. The Liberal and NDP is lower because there a lot of "iffy" voters that might vote whoever has a best chance to defeat the PC.

I think "likely voters" is always a BS number. It gives a huge (unrealistic) advantage to Conservative because if you are right-wing leaning, anti-Liberal (more than anything else) of course will say you are certain to vote Conservative as they are the closes opposition. But if you are anti-Conservative you are much more likely to vote strategy wise and lean NDP/Liberal (depending who could defeat the PC) there vote will not be counted in "Likely voters poll" but they obviously will vote as they at were interested in answering the poll.

Taking everything into account with my formula. I think currently the Liberals are leading. I would say Lib are leading 37% .. PC 33%.. NDP 25%... Green 5%

Last edited:
That may be what you sense but I am not sure how you can draw that from the Ipsos polls I was discussing.

Yea that's the impression I've gotten from talking to NDP voters. And I know there are unions who in an attempt to block the PCs have instructed their members to vote Liberal if they live in a riding where the Libs have a fighting chance of winning. This is also a sentiment I've heard repeated by dozens on other boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back