636     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3K     6 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 948     2 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a friend who works for the Green Party offer me the opportunity to run as the candidate for my riding as they still need someone here, and I don't know if I should run or not. I've voted for and supported the Greens in the past, but this was one election I was going to vote for and support a larger party because I really didn't want to see Hudak get in.

On the other hand, running as a candidate would look very good for myself professionally. My job gives me plenty of exposure with everyday people, which would help my profile. The Libertarians are also running in this riding, and while nowhere near as mainstream as the Greens, at least there is something giving competition on the right. And as a recent University graduate, if I do happen to win, it sure beats the hell out of scanning groceries.

Here are the rounded results from the last election in this riding. My biggest concern is vote splitting the left to the point that the PCs, but I want you guys to let me know if you think that is a possibility:

Liberal 18,000 47%
Progressive Conservative 14,000 36%
New Democratic 5,000 13%
Green 1,300 4%
Libertarian 400 1%

I'm not using exact numbers or specifying the riding because I don't want anything I say here to be used or twisted against me.

I had a friend who works for the Green Party offer me the opportunity to run as the candidate for my riding as they still need someone here, and I don't know if I should run or not. I've voted for and supported the Greens in the past, but this was one election I was going to vote for and support a larger party because I really didn't want to see Hudak get in.

Your vote is your own and secret. You may run for the Greens, for the experience, and vote for another candidate. Nobody will know unless you get exactly 0 votes.

Last edited:
Here are the rounded results from the last election in this riding. My biggest concern is vote splitting the left to the point that the PCs, but I want you guys to let me know if you think that is a possibility:

Liberal 18,000 47%
New Democratic 5,000 13%
Green 1,300 4%
Libertarian 400 1%

I'm not using exact numbers or specifying the riding because I don't want anything I say here to be used or twisted against me.

The Liberals are far enough ahead that I wouldn't worry about vote splitting. That's unless you happen to be an amazing candidate and pick up 10%+ of the vote.

On the other hand, running as a candidate would look very good for myself professionally. My job gives me plenty of exposure with everyday people, which would help my profile. The Libertarians are also running in this riding, and while nowhere near as mainstream as the Greens, at least there is something giving competition on the right. And as a recent University graduate, if I do happen to win, it sure beats the hell out of scanning groceries.

Liberal 18,000 47%
New Democratic 5,000 13%
Green 1,300 4%
Libertarian 400 1%

Do it.
While the overall outcome IS a big thing, the Green message also needs a voice, and really needs to be heard. And hey, if there is a significant uptick in Green votes, maybe one of the big three will start to adapt some Green initiatives.. The neanderthals need to adapt or die. We can't keep doing things the old ways and pretend it's not having any effect, any more.

The Liberals are far enough ahead that I wouldn't worry about vote splitting. That's unless you happen to be an amazing candidate and pick up 10%+ of the vote.
18,000 vs 14,000 in the last election is far enough ahead you don't have to worry about vote splitting??

No ... with the changes in support since then, it could easily be 16,000 vs 16,000 ...

ww:

Funny he should have made the announcement at Union Station - a project that the government he was previously done did nothing about.

AoD

Mr. Hudak said Friday that, if he was elected after the June 12 provincial vote, he would pull the plug on the planned Sheppard and Finch LRTs in Toronto, as well as the light-rail projects in Hamilton and Mississauga. He would not cancel Toronto’s Eglinton LRT, which is under construction.

Something we've been discussing on this & the Eglinton thread. Well I'm glad Eglinton is safe at least!

He can still switch the cars over to the New Rocket, which would cost almost nothing.

Maybe we can get Eglinton West built (underground) now.

Hudak could easily change Eglinton to a subway between Don Mills and Black Creek, cancelling the eastern section. His platform says "put Eglinton underground" or something like that, which I interpret to mean cancelling the eastern section rather than Ford's absurd proposal to build it underground. The eastern section isn't supposed to be tendered until 2015 after all. Probably a "good thing", except for the fact that Hudak is so right wing that he can't be trusted, he will just cancel everything else so that he can fulfill his pledge of laying off 100,000 workers. That means no Sheppard subway, no DRL and no GO train improvements.

Hudak could easily change Eglinton to a subway between Don Mills and Black Creek, cancelling the eastern section. His platform says "put Eglinton underground" or something like that, which I interpret to mean cancelling the eastern section rather than Ford's absurd proposal to build it underground. The eastern section isn't supposed to be tendered until 2015 after all. Probably a "good thing", except for the fact that Hudak is so right wing that he can't be trusted, he will just cancel everything else so that he can fulfill his pledge of laying off 100,000 workers. That means no Sheppard subway, no DRL and no GO train improvements.
Why cancel the eastern section? Build the east bring the DRL up to Eglinton at least (if he builds the Sheppard East connection, he has to bring the subway to Fairview Mall.) Use Pape and Don Mills South to take pressure off Bloor Yonge.

"Probably a good thing, except for the fact that Hudak is so right wing that he can't be trusted"

That made me laugh ;). And that's the second time I've heard someone say that today. The other said something along the lines of, "after 20 years in this country I've learned to never trust someone who claims to be conservative; they'll screw you over harder and faster than anyone else". I can't agree with this attitude but I still found it pretty funny ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back