680     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.1K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     2 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we can start by keeping corporate taxes where they are (among the lowest in North America) instead of reducing them by 30%. Hudak wants to manufacture a crisis by cutting revenue to justify cutting services. It's unnecessary and counterproductive.

Fair enough but the Liberal proposal is to leave corporate taxes where they are and the deficit is going up.....so using the proposed (not passed) budget as a "base case" what could be cut from that to get the deficit eliminated and satisfy people?

Did Tim Hudak say he will begin construction on the DRL 100 days after being elected, how is that even possible?

Did Tim Hudak say he will begin construction on the DRL 100 days after being elected, how is that even possible?

He said that? First I have heard of it....in fact I think he said it would actually not start until after the budget balanced (which in his plan is 2 years)

EDIT ....even that I think "start" meant money would be available for it...not actually shovels in ground.

Mr. Hudak’s plan involves building a new east-west express line in downtown Toronto. Construction on the relief line would begin with 100 days of being elected. Mr. Stewart, Mr. Hudak’s spokesman, said the line itself would likely run from Pape Station to Dundas West Station in a “U” shape south of Bloor Street — a route previously proposed by other proponents of a downtown relief line.

http://ww2.nationalpost.com/m/wp/bl...it-announcement-almost-derailed-by-ttc-police

Couldn't be any clearer...

Last edited:
Mr. Hudak’s plan involves building a new east-west express line in downtown Toronto. Construction on the relief line would begin with 100 days of being elected. [/]Mr. Stewart, Mr. Hudak’s spokesman, said the line itself would likely run from Pape Station to Dundas West Station in a “U” shape south of Bloor Street — a route previously proposed by other proponents of a downtown relief line.

http://ww2.nationalpost.com/m/wp/bl...it-announcement-almost-derailed-by-ttc-police

Couldn't be any clearer...

Good catch....obviously not possible.....have not seen that 100 day comment reported elsewhere and the TV clips on Sunday I saw I did not hear Hudak say that.

Reports I have seen have been more like this:

http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/2014/05/11/update-tim-hudak-prioritizes-relief-subway-line

Hudak promised his government would spend up to $2 billion annually on transit once the budget is balanced, saying the initiatives will create 96,000 jobs as part of the Tories' "million jobs plan.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that we the taxpayers will be throwing Harrisdak a shovel on day 100 and tell him to start digging.

I honestly don't mind that plan. Keep him down there until he's finished ;)

I'm assuming that we the taxpayers will be throwing Harrisdak a shovel on day 100 and tell him to start digging.

I honestly don't mind that plan. Keep him down there until he's finished ;)

Honestly, that Post article is the first one that i have seen that 100 day reference in and the others I have seen have stated the after the budget is balanced line.

It's a good thing that McWynnty did not say "after we balance he budget" cause in their language that could be never (see, it is fun to just randomly combine names of politicians) ;)

If we are bringing back the 80's...can we do it with music rather than Reaganomics?

Seriously...how did Ontario politicians get so absurdly batsh*t...and why are we voting for them?

Fair enough but the Liberal proposal is to leave corporate taxes where they are and the deficit is going up.....so using the proposed (not passed) budget as a "base case" what could be cut from that to get the deficit eliminated and satisfy people?

I don't know, I'm not the one proposing policy. But when you have a deficit the last thing you do is reduce your own income. It's worth noting that as different as their visions are, the Liberals and Conservatives are proposing balancing the budget within a year of each other, so clearly the majority of those cuts are unnecessary.

To pose the question another way....if health and safety and education are sacrosanct how does Ontario get from a +/- $12B deficit and +/- $300B net debt position to either a) balanced budget or b) surplus budget that allows some debt repayment?

What kind of cuts to what would people accept?

That's a reality most don't want to face.

I don't know, I'm not the one proposing policy.

The discussion started because people seemed to be criticial of the Hudak/Tory cuts....so I was trying to get a discussion going along the lines of ...."ok, but how do we get to balance."

But when you have a deficit the last thing you do is reduce your own income.

Are you talking about the income that people pay on the public sector wages that Hudak is proposing to cut? So if we have employee "a" and they earn $99k (we'll keep them off the sunshine list;) ) and pay $10k in provincial income tax (likely not that much)......do you not agree that (in isolation) there is around a $90k savings to the provincial treasury if that job is phased out?

It's worth noting that as different as their visions are, the Liberals and Conservatives are proposing balancing the budget within a year of each other, so clearly the majority of those cuts are unnecessary.

I agree it is worth noting....mostly because the Liberal practice of ending every budget projection with a balanced year in the future (while each year the current deficit either goes up or stays the same) shows that they know it is important....but I have not read one budget analysis that suggests that their projections of balanced have any credibility because they don't actually show how they get there.

What would they cut to get to balanced? If not cuts, what income (tax) increases are on the way?

That's a reality most don't want to face.

It's a shame because we are getting real close to the point where some economists would call our deficit structural (ie. the amount of interest we pay each year is so high relative to our overall budget that it becomes very difficult to balance a budget and live up to obligations).

It's a shame because we are getting real close to the point where some economists would call our deficit structural (ie. the amount of interest we pay each year is so high relative to our overall budget that it becomes very difficult to balance a budget and live up to obligations).

I am willing to stand corrected* but wasn't the budget balanced before the recession? Everyone went into debt during the recession and I understand Ontario isn't getting back to zero as fast as some others but then it would be taking Ottawa a lot longer too if they actually spent a dime on things like housing and transit. I don't advocate spending like crazy for no purpose and it may even be the public sector has gotten "too big" but I don't think it's entirely clear that we're at that point (nor is it clear Hudak has done any actual analysis of where we can do better. He just wants Harris-style across-the-board cuts, as far as I can see).

*I have no math skills nor understanding of macro-economic concepts.

Last edited:
I am willing to stand corrected* but wasn't the budget balanced before the recession? Everyone went into debt during the recession and I understand Ontario isn't getting back to zero as fast as some others but then it would be taking Ottawa a lot longer too if they actually spent a dime on things like housing and transit. I don't advocate spending like crazy for no purpose and it may even be the public sector has gotten "too big" but I don't think it's entirely clear that we're at that point (nor is it clear Hudak has done any actual analysis of where we can do better. He just wants Harris-style across-the-board cuts, as far as I can see).

*I have no math skills nor understanding of macro-economic concepts.

No were weren't he have been in deficit since harris' last year, 2002. McGuinty never ran a surplus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back