570     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.7K     6 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 867     2 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would anyone want to get rid of the greenbelt?

Because he's back by the Ontario Landowners Association, which is about as far right-wing as you can get in Canada. Seriously, take a look at some of their policies, some of them would pull the Tea Party slightly further to the right.

Always insightful. I take it condo developers would be against moving the greenbelt?

You know the more I put the pieces of the puzzle together in my head it's quite possible that the current urban development boom in Toronto owes a lot to the Greenbelt legislation. Take the greenbelt away and things might change very dramatically overnight.

You know the more I put the pieces of the puzzle together in my head it's quite possible that the current urban development boom in Toronto owes a lot to the Greenbelt legislation. Take the greenbelt away and things might change very dramatically overnight.
I doubt it would happen in Toronto, simply because of it's size, but taken to the extreme, a complete lack of zoning controls, and unlimited freedom for developers, is what's lead to urban sprawl in failed US downtowns like Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, etc. On one hand, people blame unemployment, and de-industrialization ... but when you dig into the numbers, you see these cities have all grown, when you include the still developing, sprawling semi-rural suburbs.

I think so too. The minute places like Oakville, Milton, Vaughan, Markham become cheap I can see the demand for condos dropping like a stone.

I doubt it would happen in Toronto, simply because of it's size, but taken to the extreme, a complete lack of zoning controls, and unlimited freedom for developers, is what's lead to urban sprawl in failed US downtowns like Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, etc. On one hand, people blame unemployment, and de-industrialization ... but when you dig into the numbers, you see these cities have all grown, when you include the still developing, sprawling semi-rural suburbs.

I would not Chicago failed. The others without a doubt. But you know what seperates them from Toronto as well? Highways that cut through downtown. Toronto is lucky not to have that, although if Hudak wins that may change.

Hudak's transit plan includes cross-town Toronto subway, GO Transit expansion

TORONTO - Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak has rolled out his party's transportation plan with a pledge to expand GO Transit service, build a cross-town Toronto subway and have the province take partial control of transit in the city.

Hudak says if elected his government would spend up to $2 billion annually on transit in the Greater Toronto Area once the budget is balanced — something he says will create 96,000 jobs.

The Tories would see the provincial government take over subway lines operated by the Toronto Transit Commission and build a west-to-east subway line that would be run in partnership with the private sector.

Hudak says trips on GO Transit trains and buses would also run more frequently, and highways would be expanded.

He says the "bold new course" can be done without raising taxes.

The Tory leader had planned to ride the subway up to his announcement on a mid-town Toronto foot bridge, but was forced to ditch that plan after transit police took umbrage with the throng of television cameras following him.

Last edited:
I'm becoming absolutely terrified of what Hudak will do to our city if we let the PCs win again.I really wish municipalities had the power to block legislation from the overbearing PC controlled government.

Last edited:
I'm more concerned about his plan to have the provincial gov't take control of our subways. Judging from the Harris era PC gov't, I'm sure they'll upload the subways to the province even if everyone in the city opposed it. It's this kind of overbearing governance from the provincial gov't that our municipalities need tools to protect themselves from.

@GraphicMatt
Animated gif from Hudak's subway presser today. It's impressive that he remains so still.
hudak-ani.gif

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/465562056372924416

Last edited:
I'm becoming absolutely terrified of what Hudak will do to our city if we let the PCs win again.I really wish municipalities had the power to block legislation from the overbearing PC controlled government.

I am assuming that this overbearing PC controlled government you speak of would be democratically elected? If so, you actually wish for a disrespecting of (perhaps an end of) our democratic traditions?

When policies imposed on a locale is driven primarily by representatives from outside said area, perhaps it is a clear sign that said democratic traditions aren't that so (beyond the superficial sense), and that a change in tradition is required.

AoD

He wants Eglinton as subway and to the airport (the current thing being built is not east-west, it's Mt Dennis-Jane) and the DRL. But it won't start mid-late 2016 at the earliest.

I haven't been able to find any details of his "plan". Did he actually say that Eglinton would become a true subway line?, because if he did that's going to put the project back a couple of years at least and would probably result in a couple of billion in wasted dollars. I would think the more logical solution at this point would be to complete the Crosstown LRT as scheduled and then, if he really wants a subway, extend the Sheppard line east and west. However, any new transit line is going to take the better part of ten years to plan, design and build so he can promise whatever new lines he wants because we know they will never actually get built on his watch.

When policies imposed on a locale is driven primarily by representatives from outside said area, perhaps it is a clear sign that said democratic traditions aren't that so (beyond the superficial sense), and that a change in tradition is required.

AoD

Then the advocacy should be to change (if deemed desirable/necessary/appropriate) the way government's are selected....not just to ignore or "block" legislation.

We have as long as we have been voting in this country dealt with this issue. Often voting patters leads to areas that are under represented in a particular government at a particular time.....it has not lead to a tradition of ignoring or blocking legislation.......I imagine we would end up with a pretty ungovernable situation if we did.

TOareafan:

Actually nope, veto power is a fairly common system. It certainly doesn't meant it is "undemocratic", and it can be argued that such a system is more democratic than one that allows for disproportionate representation of other areas on a per vote basis. I think when one bring out the "democratic" argument, vis-a-vis situations like Bill 103, is highly problematical.

AoD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back