2.3K     5 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 829     2 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is mine:
7Sermrs.png

I might end up voting for the Green Party.

ontario.jpg

Green is apparently #1 but I don't know much about them. NDP is close but I'm not into Horwath's populism. I live near Heartland and I see NDP on people's lawns now? Wtf? I never seen that before. It's not the true NDP anymore. NDP and PC just two sides of the same coin now. So that just leaves the Liberals.

Also, I can't believe Greens are the only party that support legalizing prostitution, according to this survey. And they are the only party that will even consider taxing drivers more to pay for transit. Maybe that's the reason they are 68%.

Too many politicians are cowards, it is sad. Horwath is biggest coward of them all. An NDP that doesn't stick up for the little guy has no reason to exist. What is the point of the Ontario NDP now? Someone tell me.

Not to mention that the total number of people unemployed in Ontario (according to StatsCan) is 561,300. Timmie is going to create so many jobs that Ontario's unemployment rate will be a negative percentage! Wow!

The most interesting fact is that the 100,000 job cuts "will bring employment back to 2009 levels". Have the Liberals really increased government workers by that amount - no wonder Ontario has such a hard time recovering from the recession.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...s_he_would_lay_off_100000_civil_servants.html

Also, the 1 million jobs is not hard to achieve. Assume 2.5% increase in Ontario population per year times 8 years = 20%, or about 2.5 million residents. Now assume 50% are working age - that gives over a million new jobs in Ontario.

He is not trying to avoid raising the class size issue....he lead with it.[/quote More evidence that Hudak is anti-child and anti-family.

My gosh. I'm really surprised he went this way. This reminds me of Peledeau promising Separation or John Tory promising to fund religious schools.

He could simply have left out the details about the number of job cuts, and it would have not caused this type of reaction.

It just let the other parties attack Hudak for being anti-family, and for wanting to bring back the Harris cuts. What a bizarre way to go.

If there's one thing I like about Hudak, is that he tells us exactly what he wants to do if elected. He reminds me why I never vote C (I refuse to include the P in PC)

Green is apparently #1 but I don't know much about them.

Green Party platform:
- Never win an election
- Waste your vote by voting for us
- Further fragment the centre-left
- Help the conservative candidate get elected, as demonstrated in the Calgary by-election

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The most interesting fact is that the 100,000 job cuts "will bring employment back to 2009 levels". Have the Liberals really increased government workers by that amount - no wonder Ontario has such a hard time recovering from the recession.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...s_he_would_lay_off_100000_civil_servants.html

Also, the 1 million jobs is not hard to achieve. Assume 2.5% increase in Ontario population per year times 8 years = 20%, or about 2.5 million residents. Now assume 50% are working age - that gives over a million new jobs in Ontario.

I would think that when Ontarians are searching for some of the vaunted "million new jobs" they're looking for solutions for the tens of thousands of unemployed residents of this province who are already here. To claim that population growth will be what leads to those million jobs does nothing for Ontarians looking for work now, and Hudak is just being a smug slimy so-and-so if he's going to try to sell it like that.

Also, considering immigration is a federal issue not a provincial one, that population growth will be happening regardless of what government Ontario elects.

With the Liberal left shift, they are just a more honest and credible version of the Liberals.

But when they were at the centre, the Liberals were just a more honest and credible version of the Nazis. I think the Liberal's left shift away from Nazism is a good thing, don't you?

The size of the public sector per capita is a more informative figure here.

Green Party platform: ...

Greens don't fit neatly into the left-right divide, and fiscally I think they're, if anything, conservative. I think it wouldn't hurt to have this kind of voice in the legislature, i.e. through electing the party leader (Mike Schreiner) in Guelph.

If he wants to cut 10% of public sector jobs, why not across the board? It's not like there aren't inefficiencies in health care, or the police (certainly in Toronto) aren't a pampered lot. But no, then the aging middle class might worry about the availability of services when their hearts begin to fade or about keeping those that don't get to participate fully in the economy in check. Better to call it a bloated bureaucracy and attack less prominent workers. Anyway, should costs need to be trimmed I've never understood why it's acceptable to put large swaths of people completely out of work but never acceptable to economize by asking everyone to take pay cuts. There are plenty of things that need to be done in the public sphere (building improved transit would be nice, but I'd take even better maintenance of parks and keeping the streets clean) but we've lost the way to find the value in someone doing that work.

... or see a similar graph for other provinces.

The closest I can come is speculation.

I would assume that %age of employee expenses to overall expenses is roughly the same for all provinces since they effectively provide the similar services in similar ways at similar pay levels.

Ontario has had the lowest expenditures per capita for quite a while out of all of the provinces; also has the lowest revenue per capita.

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/budget/ontariobudgets/2014/ch1e.html#c1-15
chart1-15.jpg

Revenue streams differ by province. Alberta is heavy on resource revenue and light on sales tax revenue for example.
chart1-16.jpg

Last edited:
Is Ontario's lack of revenue due to all the tax cuts done by the PCs? We certainly don't lack for people to tax or companies to tax.

Is Ontario's lack of revenue due to all the tax cuts done by the PCs? We certainly don't lack for people to tax or companies to tax.

I imagine it's a number of things. I was unable to find a revenue chart, but below is an expenditure chart per capita from the New Brunswick Business Council. This chart seems to have messed up the Quebec numbers (possibly not counting Quebec extensions of federal programs?) so I'm unsure how much it can actually be trusted; they do not describe where the dataset came from. The Ontario Budget charts have not been commented on by the Quebec government, so I tend to believe they are more accurate for Quebec data.

It would appear that Ontario was under spending in '97/98 and revenues have not kept up. I tend to think Ontario has a revenue problem rather than a spending problem as if you remove the Quebec data as bad and ignore the federal line we have one of the slowest spending growth curves and yet one of the highest deficits per capita. If Ontario took in the same revenue as BC (tied for lowest instead of lowest) the deficit would be about 75% of the smaller. Part of this may be unemployment, part of it might be because Ontario has the lowest business tax rates, and Ontario also has low income tax rates for the $100k/year group (one of the reasons my address remains an Ontario address).

Spending_per_capita.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back