417     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 684     1 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fully grade separated Crosstown would be best win/win situation for everyone.

Except for the people who will lose the other lines that will need to be cancelled to pay it, all for a few minutes difference in travel time.

We're talking about Eglinton right? No they aren't done tunnelling, but they are in the process of doing so...

http://www.thecrosstown.ca/progress/track-the-tunnel-boring-machine

I'm just saying they won't change the tunnel properties at this time, it's way too late for that. The tunnel is wide enough for subway cars, but I was just speculating there may be some other reason LRVs might still be used.

Ok, thank you. And I agree with you on that point!

Why would you change the vehicles? The current vehicles can easily handle the capacity. If you go to 4-car subway trains, like they have on Sheppard, then your tied to bigger-capacity, and a lower frequency.

Given the travel time is the same whether they use the current subway cars, or these new LRV cars, I'd sooner have the smaller cars, and more frequent trains.

And do you think Hudak cares about any of this? Hell they guy might want 6 subway cars per train for all we know. If he does switch, it will all be political.

What is with you guys underestimating Eglinton? It's one of the most prominent streets in the city.

I decided to look this one up.

Doug Holyday
Critic Role: Government Accountability & Management Board With Responsibility For GTA Issues & GTA Transportation

I don't trust Tim Hudak but I trust his desire to win and his epiphany about how he can't win a majority without Toronto. I do think he will genuinely try to accomplish as much as he can in the Transit file for Toronto (while butchering other programs) to make it happen. To those who say that he'll break his promises once elected, unlikely. He must be the first to be aware that Toronto won't forgive a 2nd betrayal on the transit file. If the transit file doesn't get any progress and worse, if there's any broken promises, he lose Toronto and he can kiss his job goodbye. He would rather destroy programs like the green energy act and other social programs before back tracking on transit.

Howerver, I trust Doug Holiday to make sure that Hudak stays on track with his transit promises for Toronto. I trust the PC commitments on transit because of Doug Holiday, not Hudak.

Last edited:
Cancelling the all day kindergarten would free 1.5B$ which he intend to do. That's big in term of "efficiencies"

It's big, if you ignore that schools have been building new classrooms etc. for several years but then, as we saw with Scarborough, such sunk costs don't necessarily fit into some people's conceptions of what constitutes gravy. I'd say that ship has sailed but, with a majority he can undo whatever he wants. With a minority, I doubt that's going anywhere.

We'll see what kind of detailed platform Hudak can put through. There may well be people willing to go a few steps back towards what Mike Harris did. Certainly one can re-align priorities) OTOH, amalgamation wasn't as "efficient" as promised) but I would expect he ditches the Big Move writ large and placate people here and there with subways. It couldn't possibly be as bad (on transit) as Harris was, for whatever that's worth. Actually, "Can't be as bad as Harris," would make a good campaign slogan for him.

Except for the people who will lose the other lines that will need to be cancelled to pay it, all for a few minutes difference in travel time.

With the subway going from Kennedy to McCowan/Sheppard, I think the Sheppard East area will use that line way more than the LRT. They won't mind taking a shorter bus ride to that line instead of Don Mills station. On top of that, their subway dream is still alive.

Finch West LRT should be build. I always believed in it and it is necessary. However, considering that there isn't even an express branch to Finch West buses and no rush hour lanes, the TTC sould easily start there for a fraction of the cost.

-Reserve lanes between Finch West Station and Humber
or
-BRT at the center of Finch West that can later be converted to LRT

-Express branch
-Articulated Buses

With the subway going from Kennedy to McCowan/Sheppard, I think the Sheppard East area will use that line way more than the LRT. They won't mind taking a shorter bus ride to that line instead of Don Mills station. On top of that, their subway dream is still alive.

Finch West LRT should be build. I always believed in it and it is necessary. However, considering that there isn't even an express branch to Finch West buses and no rush hour lanes, the TTC sould easily start there for a fraction of the cost.

or

-Express branch
-Articulated Buses

I too am fine with the cancellation of the LRT lines so long as they replace them with more express buses using the Articulated buses. They can actually try the LRT stops with these buses. They also need to widen the lanes whenever possible.

I am fine ONLY if they use the savings to apply to other more pressing transit projects such as the DRL or increasing GO train service, or finish the Eglinton Cross-town to the airport. IMO I do not see extending the Yonge Subway to Richmond Hill a priority - double tracking GO on those routes to allow for all day service is better IMO.

or

-Express branch
-Articulated Buses

Finch West should be built no matter what, there is not way to extend the subway up there so that is a better option. I feel the subway should go to STC. Why sheppard/mccowan?

And do you think Hudak cares about any of this? Hell they guy might want 6 subway cars per train for all we know. If he does switch, it will all be political.

What is with you guys underestimating Eglinton? It's one of the most prominent streets in the city.

3 car LRV trains at high frequency are very high capacity. It's almost as long as the trains on Sheppard. Each LRV car has capacity of 251, so a train of 3 has capacity of 753.

By comparison the new subway Rocket trains have crush load 1100

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexity_Freedom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Rocket

So am I Whats the point of Sheppard McCowan when there is a still a tiny chance sheppard might be built if there is a government change.

The Danforth extension is planned to go up to Sheppard & McCowan. Whether a Sheppard LRT or subway are built or not, it's a good thing for the McCowan subway (or LRT) to go up to Sheppard to connect to the Sheppard east bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back