News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 940     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

They were openly admitting to trying to get more tech workers to help companies keep down tech sector wages. That the NDP acquiesced to wage suppression makes all this so much worse. And people wonder why the CPC is moving up in the polls. Even in Quebec of all places.

Walmart, Diesel and Hugo Boss face federal probe for alleged sale of items made with forced labour

From link.

A watchdog created by the federal government to probe corporate wrongdoing abroad says it is opening investigations into whether three clothing retailers, Walmart Canada, Hugo Boss Canada and Diesel Canada, are selling products made in China with Uyghur forced labour.

These are the fourth, fifth and sixth investigations announced by the Canadian Ombudsperson for Responsible Enterprise (CORE) since it began accepting complaints in March, 2021. Last month CORE announced investigations into Nike Canada and Canadian mining company Dynasty Gold, and earlier in August it announced an investigation into Ralph Lauren Canada.

The federal watchdog is investigating all of the companies in response to complaints filed last year by a coalition of human rights groups. Those organizations asked for a probe into allegations that some products sold by 14 Canadian companies – most of them subsidiaries of large U.S. businesses – are made with forced labour in China. CORE is expected to decide whether to investigate the remaining complaints in the coming weeks.

China’s northwestern Xinjiang region, which produces one-fifth of the world’s cotton, has been the focus of reports by media, researchers and rights groups, who say Beijing has committed grave human-rights violations against the region’s largely Muslim Uyghur population, as well as other minorities there. Among the alleged abuses is the widespread use of forced labour.

Michele Bachelet, who was the United Nations high commissioner for human rights until August, 2022, visited Xinjiang last year. Her office’s report on the trip said China’s treatment of Uyghur Muslims in the region may amount to crimes against humanity.

The complaint to CORE cited a March, 2020 Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI) report, which identified two Chinese companies the group had found were operating factories in Walmart Canada’s supply chain. Those facilities, the report said, were subjecting Uyghurs to work under conditions “that strongly suggest forced labour.” The report also cited a second report, published in November, 2020 by Laura Murphy, a professor at Sheffield Hallam University’s Helena Kennedy Centre for International Justice, that identified three China-based manufacturers allegedly linked to forced labour in Walmart’s supply chain.

CORE said Thursday in a statement that it plans to probe the matter further. “Walmart Canada generally denies the allegations, but fails to provide a specific response to the allegations. Given the company’s decision not to participate further in the CORE’s dispute resolution process, the CORE will conduct an investigation using independent fact finding to address the conflict between the allegations and the position of the company.”

Walmart Canada did participate in the CORE process, spokesperson Sarah Kennedy wrote in an e-mail Thursday, including confirming that the factories mentioned in the complaint are not part of the company’s “active disclosed supply chain.”

“As indicated in the report, Walmart made it clear to the CORE that we have developed and executed policies, standards, controls and supply chain monitoring systems that support Walmart Canada’s corporate mandate to prohibit the use of forced labour,” Ms. Kennedy wrote. “Our policies are diligently enforced.”

In the case of Diesel, the complaints draw on both Prof. Murphy’s report and the ASPI report, which alleges that the company’s supply chain includes Jiangsu Guotai Guosheng, a Chinese supplier where Uyghurs allegedly work “under conditions that strongly suggest forced labour.”

CORE said Diesel Canada denies that it purchases material from Xinjiang or is involved in human rights abuses. But the company did not participate in an initial assessment process after the complaint was lodged, according to CORE. The watchdog said this raised questions about the degree of transparency in the company’s human rights due diligence practices.

The complaint against Hugo Boss alleged the company has a supply relationship with Esquel Textile Co. Ltd., a Chinese company that ASPI identified as using Uyghur forced labour. Esquel owns several factories and subsidiaries in Xinjiang. To support their allegations, the complainants provided bills of lading, which show Hugo Boss as the consignee for multiple shipments from Esquel.

CORE noted that not all the receivers for these shipments were Canadian companies. “One of these shipments was received by Hugo Boss Ticino SA and originated in Singapore. The other, while received by Hugo Boss Canada Inc., originated from Esquel in Vietnam,” the watchdog said.

Hugo Boss Canada denies the allegations, but, CORE said, its “response does not appear to consider fully the complex nature of the garment supply chain.” The watchdog said it has decided to conduct an investigation “using independent fact finding to consider these complexities as well as the indicators of risk relevant to working in high-risk contexts.”

CORE ombudsperson Sheri Meyerhoffer said in a statement that her office hopes the investigations will provide opportunities for the companies to change their practices. CORE is able to recommend changes to businesses and the federal government, but does not have order-making power.

“As mediation between the parties is not currently an option, we will be launching investigations into the allegations outlined in these reports,” Ms. Meyerhoffer said. “The investigations will provide all three companies with an ongoing opportunity to provide further relevant information and mediation of the allegations remains open. We are hopeful that the investigation findings will provide the companies with information to support their ability to strengthen their due diligence practices.”

The Global Slavery Index, produced by the Australian philanthropic foundation Walk Free, estimated in a 2018 report that more than $18.5-billion in goods imported annually into Canada are at risk of having been made with forced labour at some point in their supply chains, including clothing, computers, smartphones, gold, seafood and sugar cane.

Three years after the federal government amended the Customs Tariff Act to prohibit forced-labour imports, none have been seized by the Canada Border Services Agency.

In 2021, the United States enshrined in law a reverse-onus rule that puts the responsibility on those shipping goods from Xinjiang to prove the items are free of coerced labour. That means the U.S. government officially regards all goods produced in whole or in part in Xinjiang as being produced with forced labour and bars them from entry, unless importers can prove otherwise.

And yet they keep refusing to listen to middle class voters....

Let me bring that forward for those lacking previews, and the click averse:

1692968494462.png

And yet they keep refusing to listen to middle class voters....

Honestly, Trudeau is out of touch.

People are seeing how immigration is affecting housing prices, they are seeing how international students are studying here just for PR and they are seeing how inaction is causing an affordability crisis.

I do think that the Liberals are going to tank this coming election and it will be a problem of their own making. I can't believe I am saying this but the Conservatives are going to pull this off if they continue with their rhetoric.

My feelings are this when it comes to fixing our situation:

• Cap the level of immigration. Process the current applications and put a freeze for a few years until everything gets sorted out

• Limit the number of international students. There is no need to have all these international students who use our colleges to immigrate here.

• Make it harder to get PR status. Places such as the EU, Australia and the UK are restrictive when it comes to immigration. There also needs to be restrictions on who can sponsor who.

• Make it harder to get a work visa. Use the EU method of giving priority to their citizens rather than anyone who want to immigrate. Make employers justify hiring someone other than a Canadian before looking elsewhere

• Place restrictions on who can own property in Canada such as being a Canadian Citizen and/or having to physically reside in Canada.

• Limit the refugee intake. My grandparents were refugees in Australia, I get it but we cannot handle anymore people.

• Place conditions on immigration. Prevent new immigrants from overwhelming the major cities like Toronto and Vancouver. Force them to go to other places like Regina, Calgary, St Johns, etc.
Saying they cannot do anything is not going to help the Liberals. They opened the doors wide open to everyone and now they cannot handle the consequences of their actions.

"It is an ecosystem in Canada that is very lucrative and it's come with some perverse effects: some fraud in the system, some people taking advantage of what is seen as a backdoor entry into Canada, but also pressure in a number of areas — one of those is housing," he said.

But Miller shied away from committing to the idea of a hard cap on the number of students entering Canada.

"Just putting a hard cap, which got a lot of public play over the last few days, is not the only solution to this," he said.

"Core to this is actually trying to figure out what the problem is we're trying to solve for. It isn't entirely housing, it's more appropriately the integrity of the system that has mushroomed, ballooned in the past couple of years."

Miller said there were a number of "illegitimate actors" who were trying to exploit the system, which was eventually having a negative effect on people trying to come to Canada for legitimate reasons. Miller referred to one high-profile instance last month of an international student found sleeping under a bridge.

He said he would not get involved with "naming and shaming," but said his focus was on some private colleges. Work would need to be done to tighten up the system, he said, to make sure institutions actually had space and suitable housing for people who are being admitted. Miller also said closer collaboration with provinces was key to solving the problem.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/international-student-cap-immigration-system-integrity-1.6948733

'Cultural addiction' to high home values must be broken: Professor​

Paul Kershaw, founder of Generation Squeeze and policy professor at the UBC School of Population Health, told BNN Bloomberg Thursday that the federal government tends to blame housing issues on a single “easy villain.” Kershaw, who was part of a housing panel at the retreat, said previously the government has placed blame on developers, red tape or homeowners, but that foreign students are now the “latest flavour of the month.”
“(These students) play one small part, but the deeper, deeper reason that we have allowed home prices to leave earnings behind and lock a younger demographic out of secure housing … is because many Canadians, especially myself and older Canadians, we have become entangled with the idea that it helps us when home values go up,” he said in a television interview.
When home prices go up, the retirement nest egg for homeowners grows and homeowners can take out loans off the home value, meaning homeowners really stand to benefit from rising values, Kershaw explained.

“That cultural orientation is what really is harming a younger demographic, that is why I think we need to break our cultural addiction to rising home values,” he added.
Kershaw said housing has become a fraught political issue because the parties don’t want to push for home price declines and risk alienating the homeowners.
Kershaw added government needs to convince the older demographics that their home value is enough for them and their home value needs to peak.
“Your grandchild’s hard work is not paying off like it used to and housing’s at the epicentre of it,” he said.
While Kershaw admits non-profit housing for students is desperately needed, more must be done if the government is serious about addressing the issue.
“We’re not going to fix the housing system if we’re just going to pick that one piece,” he said.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/interna...ousing-s-easy-villain-expert-argues-1.1963279

^ More gaslighting. They let in all those students. Now they are saying that we need to be worried about the integrity of the immigration system? They keep talking as though they were just elected and weren't in power for the last 8 years.

Even before COVID we knew abuse of the student immigration system was rampant. A third of them wouldn't even show up to school, according to the government's own statistics. And yet they chose to ramp up the numbers.

^ More gaslighting. They let in all those students. Now they are saying that we need to be worried about the integrity of the immigration system? They keep talking as though they were just elected and weren't in power for the last 8 years.

Even before COVID we knew abuse of the student immigration system was rampant. A third of them wouldn't even show up to school, according to the government's own statistics.

I once knew an International Student who upon graduating couldn't find work in his field (Accounting) before his visa expired.

He then took a job as a supervisor at Tim Hortons so he could say he had meaningful employment in Canada for his paperwork.

If that's not abusing the system, I'm not sure what is.

What's routinely frustrating to me is how progressives will claim to support evidence based policymaking on issues like climate (which I can agree with) and then completely move to faith based policymaking on issues like immigration, where they ignore all data and evidence and just expect things to magically work out. When this government loses in 2025 (a given by this point), they will have nobody to blame but themselves.

As a climate hawk, this makes me sad. As somebody sincerely worried about these levels of immigration breaking the Canadian consensus on immigration, I'll be relieved when they are gone.

I once knew an International Student who upon graduating couldn't find work in his field (Accounting) before his visa expired.

He then took a job as a supervisor at Tim Hortons so he could say he had meaningful employment in Canada for his paperwork.

If that's not abusing the system, I'm not sure what is.

I don't blame the immigrants. I blame a system designed to be exploited.

Back