News   May 02, 2024
 624     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 204     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 262     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

It's mind-blowing to me that the LPC and NDP are turning Gen Y and Z conservative despite passing Cannabis legalization, climate legislation and childcare. Housing really trumps all.

I don't think the Conservatives are going to offer the fixes people are hoping for.

Liberal, Conservative, they're on the same canoe arguing how fast to paddle up a dead-end creek.

I don't think young people who are angry care. They are fed up. And because the NDP is propping up this government, they are put into the same basket for lots of people.

I have voted NDP since I was 18 (I'm 35 now).

I am no longer thrilled with the party platforms or the fact that Jagmeet is propping up Justin.

I have my own feelings about Jagmeet but suffice to say I never thought he was qualified to be leader.

I may vote for someone else next election. Likely not conservative though because Pierre Pollievre is too extreme for my liking.

Next up, ask them what lifestyle changes and taxes they are willing to pay to address climate change. At least the hard right is kinda honest about not caring about climate change...

The next election is going to be quite interesting. Liberals are going to be screaming about climate change, abortion and LGBTQ rights. Conservatives going to talking about cost of living and homelessness. Somebody should send the LPC exec a copy of Maslow's hierarchy to explain to them how that fight is going to go.

And conservatives will shoot themselves in the foot again by not committing to being in step with the majority of Canadians who are not homophobic misogynists, while crying about any other dog whistle topic their base of regressives love.

And conservatives will shoot themselves in the foot again by not committing to being in step with the majority of Canadians who are not homophobic misogynists, while crying about any other dog whistle topic their base of regressives love.

The mistake Liberals (party and supporters) are making is that they assume that is disqualifying to voters when facing real economic challenges. Harper's premiership should kinda show that Canadians don't buy into fearmongering on social issues, as much as partisans think. Voters only seem to care when they have the luxury to do so, when they feel economically stable. We're already seeing some crazy increases in shelter costs. Just imagine what they'll be in 2025, after our population grows by another 1.5M from today.

When I see people who think that voters care more climate than rent, I imagine that they are generally too well off to care about cost of living, or aren't old enough to pay their own bills. Because this is most definitely not how the median voter thinks. And younger generations and women starting to shift to the CPC should tell you how voters really think.

Mike Moffat said on Twitter that the LPC invited him to their cabinet retreat. If the Liberals want to win in 2025, they'd be smart to immediately implement every single recommendation he makes. He's been talking about the housing crisis and how it drives other issues like climate policy and economic competitiveness for years.

Last edited:
I have voted NDP since I was 18 (I'm 35 now).

I am no longer thrilled with the party platforms or the fact that Jagmeet is propping up Justin.

I have my own feelings about Jagmeet but suffice to say I never thought he was qualified to be leader.

I may vote for someone else next election. Likely not conservative though because Pierre Pollievre is too extreme for my liking.

Not surprising.... Singh's wife owns rental properties.

Harper's premiership should kinda show that Canadians don't buy into fearmongering on social issues
Except we can see all too well it's not fear mongering anymore. The rights of women and minority groups are being trampled actively in the world right now. It's not a thought exercise, it's reality.

Except we can see all too well it's not fear mongering anymore. The rights of women and minority groups are being trampled actively in the world right now. It's not a thought exercise, it's reality.

It's not me you have to convince. It's the average voter. And polls showing movement to the CPC clearly show the yelling at voters isn't working. At some point, this government is going to actually have to address voters' concerns and priorities. Yelling about social issues to distract from the housing crisis (partly driven by the government's own immigration policies) has a limit on effectiveness. Reminds me a lot about the Harper government fearmongering about Liberal economic management by trying to portray JT as a dilettante. Didn't work for them.

Also, to be clear, I don't want a climate change denying party in power. I'd rather the LPC have a winnable proposition in 2025. This is why their "Let them eat cake," response to the Housing crisis is concerning to me. If you want the LPC to win, you need to be honest about what they need to do. They are missing the mark big time right now.

Last edited:
I have read hundreds of Justin Trudeau political obituaries in the last ten years. Only last month, conservative pundits were sure that Trudeau was going to resign becaue of the break-up of his marriage. Please continue.

I have read hundreds of Justin Trudeau political obituaries in the last ten years. Only last month, conservative pundits were sure that Trudeau was going to resign becaue of the break-up of his marriage. Please continue.
The test will be the 2025 election (or when the NDP pulls the plug, which I don't think is likely).

With spiraling food and rent costs, do you think the Liberals can pull another win? It would take some major changes to their policy as-is.

Or, as Clinton's campaign team put it, "[It's] the economy, stupid".

Just wishing and hoping that Trudeau would resign for the last ten years has not been sound conservative policy, though, is it? Otherwise, Trudeau would have only been a one termer. That seems to be the failure of the CPC.

Last edited:
Just wishing and hoping that Trudeau would resign for the last ten years has not been sound conservative policy, though, is it? Otherwise, Trudeau would have only been a one termer. That seems to be the failure of the CPC.

Who is it here at UT that you feel is pushing a partisan line from the Conservative Party on this subject?

I haven't noticed any recent posts to that effect.

In point of fact, I think if we looked above, you'd see posters who have specifically indicated they voted for Trudeau, at least once, and perhaps twice, or possibly voted NDP/Green who are expressing what they feel
the polling data indicates and where the reality with most voters is on the ground.

Its not a partisan bashing of Liberals, or the PM its a suggestion that the party in power federally (and the one provincially too, which isn't Liberal) have been, at best, willfully blind to the impacts of their policies on housing and poverty;
and that the amount of economic stress being experienced by an ever greater portion the Canadian electorate seems increasingly likely to boil over.

That doesn't seem like a particularly rash or unreasonable take.

That's not an endorsement of the CPC or their leader; or a suggestion they have or will deliver useful solutions; its a suggestion that the absence of those currently in power fielding solutions will lead to angry voters turning to whatever 'other' options may seem viable, if only to punish the incumbents.

If you disagree with the above, I, for one, would like to hear what polling data you're reading, and why you otherwise find the above analysis wanting?

Last edited:

Back