News   May 17, 2024
 394     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 297     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.9K     5 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

I do have this feeling in the back of my mind that peak Canada is behind us, and that I am grateful I got to see it before the country began its sharper decline in the early 2000s to today.

In 1991 when I started university tuition was under $2k and still under $3k four years later. OSAP offered grants (not just loans) to get me through, and a part-time job paid for the rest without need of parental help. In 1998, as a confectionery salesman and a school secretary my newly married wife and I, in our mid-late 20s were able to buy a home in downtown Toronto for about six or seven times our combined net incomes, while paying off my student loans within the decade. We both had pensions and good health benefits, and my wife's union job had solid job security. Going further back, my parents and us three kids came from the UK in 1976, not to do menial gig work but to step into the sales management role that my dad was doing for the same employer in the UK. My uncle who came to Canada before us transferred from BP UK to BP Canada (and later Petro Canada) as an engineer. In the 1960s and 70s emigrating to Canada was less escaping your poverty-wrought or violent third world circumstances but was an adventure, of course to seek new opportunities, but today the best immigrants do not choose Canada, so we must scrape the barrel of unskilled labourers from the subcontinent just to hit Trudeau's arbitary quotas. One of my colleagues at work told me an interesting perspective - he's of Indian descent but born in Guyana. His ethnically Indian, Canadian-born daughters are well educated, speak unaccented English, one is a recent pharmacy graduate and the other studying health sciences. He says that the influx of unskilled labourers from India is leading to people to assume his daughters by their very appearance must be among the unskilled newcomers, hindering their job prospects. Keep in mind that's just one man's story.

I don't think anyone can convince me that Canada of 2023 is better than that of 1993. Peak Canada has come and gone.

Last edited:
Agreed! I went to school in the early 2000s. I had government loans for my tuition and between going to school I also worked part-time during the school year and full-time during the summers, mostly in coffee shops.
I made minimum wage: $8/hour and I made enough money to pay for my food, housing and everything else besides tuition. Is it possible these days? Where grocery stores has line ups around the blocks for cashier jobs?

Agreed! I went to school in the early 2000s. I had government loans for my tuition and between going to school I also worked part-time during the school year and full-time during the summers, mostly in coffee shops.
I made minimum wage: $8/hour and I made enough money to pay for my food, housing and everything else besides tuition. Is it possible these days? Where grocery stores has line ups around the blocks for cashier jobs?

Much like myself.

Life was much more affordable until the early 2000s when things went to hell.

Honestly, price controls are the solution however they only work if it is a globally accepted practice (i.e. most major economies do it). If it is not a global phenomenon, businesses will pull out of Canada in favor of countries where they can make unrestricted amounts of money.

One thing I do think needs to happen is the elimination of the Wheat and Dairy Boards. I recall a story around a year ago where dairy farmers were dumping milk because they had reached their quota and could not sell anymore. This was to ensure prices were kept high.

That story can be found here: https://nationalpost.com/opinion/ontario-dairy-farmer-decries-mandatory-milk-dumping

If we eliminate the wheat and dairy boards prices will fluctuate with the market and not be artificially inflated.

Much like myself.

Honestly, price controls are the solution however they only work if it is a globally accepted practice (i.e. most major economies do it). If it is not a global phenomenon, businesses will pull out of Canada in favor of countries where they can make unrestricted amounts of money.

One thing I do think needs to happen is the elimination of the Wheat and Dairy Boards. I recall a story around a year ago where dairy farmers were dumping milk because they had reached their quota and could not sell anymore. This was to ensure prices were kept high.

That story can be found here: https://nationalpost.com/opinion/ontario-dairy-farmer-decries-mandatory-milk-dumping

If we eliminate the wheat and dairy boards prices will fluctuate with the market and not be artificially inflated.

The Wheat Board's monopoly was already abolished under the Harper government.

The Dairy Commission is a different matter; in the past, I favoured our model; because in the U.S., the absence of same is offset by very large subsidies to the dairy industry.

Howevever, the last several years, the Commission, now dominated by oligarchic producers has been very, very greedy.

Excess is the way to kill of any golden goose.

Much like myself.

I lived through 'wage and price controls' during Trudeau the First. I seems that wages, particularly public services, were easier to control than prices.

I wasn't aware that price controls was a widespread practice. If it is a wide-spread practice - a "globally accepted practice" - how could businesses leave to make "unrestricted amounts of money" in these other countries?

I agree that the dairy board needs to get back to its roots, but farmers were dumping milk back when it was a free market. Raw milk is a perishable product, and back in the days of local dairies, farmers would truck their product only to be told they had all they needed for the day. Lacking the ability to store, it went on the ground. If they were lucky, they might get cheese/yogurt grade prices.

Last edited:

Feds take next step on study that could stop Greenbelt development

Ottawa's study could lay the groundwork for blocking Greenbelt development in the Duffins Rouge Agricultural Preserve

From link.

A federal study that could derail the Ontario government's plans to build housing on former Greenbelt land took another quiet step on Tuesday.

The Impact Assessment Agency finalized the terms for its study on how development will affect the area in and around Rouge National Urban Park and other areas of federal jurisdiction, like protecting species at risk.

The study will take into account more land than was initially outlined when the process started earlier this year.

Originally, the study was going to look at the effects on the national park itself, the Duffins Rouge Agricultural Preserve, and adjacent federal lands. The Duffins Rouge Agricultural Preserve sits just east of Rouge Park and is home to around 60 per cent of the land the PCs took out of the Greenbelt last November.

The new terms specifically target those, plus additional federal lands in Pickering and further land that could be opened for development by ministerial zoning orders issued by the Ontario government.

If the agency finds development would adversely affect any of those areas, Ottawa could step in and block development but only when a potential project gets past the planning stages.

"Most of the tools I have — whether they're impact assessment or species at risk — can be deployed once specific projects are being announced. Until those projects are announced, it's a bit more difficult for us to get involved," federal Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault told The Trillium in a May interview.

The new terms are also more explicit about studying the "cumulative" effects of development, whereas the previous terms talked more about the "direct" effects.

"Cumulative effects means ... projecting out the impacts of things like roads, subdivisions, paving, and what that's going to do to the social, economic and ecological values in the park," said Tim Gray, executive director of Environmental Defence.

The province will address all of the federal government's concerns, said Caitlin Clark, Premier Doug Ford's press secretary.

"As previously noted by the federal government the readily developable lands in question are not connected to the Rouge National Urban Park. As they should also be aware, any development on these lands must avoid impacts to species at risk and comply with the Endangered Species Act," she said in a statement to The Trillium.

With the terms now set in stone, the next step is naming three commissioners who'll lead the study. Once they're in place, they'll have 18 months to finish the study.

That timeline butts up against the province's self-imposed deadline of getting the ball rolling on the developments.

Developers must make “significant progress on approvals … by the end of 2023” and must make “significant progress” on construction by 2025, according to consultation documents posted when the land swap was announced last November.

Despite those conditions being set out when the policy dropped, last week's scathing auditor general report said the process is lacking.

It's being led by the Provincial Land and Development Facilitator, which is in charge of negotiating timelines and getting developers to pay for the necessary infrastructure improvements to service the areas.

"We found that as of June 2023, the housing ministry and the government have not further defined these expectations so that they can be measured, nor have they established performance indicators to do so," the report found.

The PLDF assured the auditor that progress metrics will be built into the agreements, though no agreements have been reached yet.

The province expects 50,000 homes to be built as a result of its Greenbelt land swap, equivalent to one-third of one per cent of the total of 1.5 million homes that the government wants built in Ontario by 2031.

Last year, the Ford government removed 7,400 acres from the Greenbelt and added 9,400 acres elsewhere.

The development site in the Duffins Rouge Agricultural Preserve is known as Cherrywood, owned by TACC Development. According to the auditor general, it makes up 58 per cent of the land removed from the Greenbelt and that removal is estimated to have increased its land value by $6.63 billion.

In May, Guilbeault also hinted to The Trillium he might not stop with the Rouge Park study.

"The Niagara Escarpment is another area we're looking at right now, trying to see, do we have similar levers as the ones we have for (Rouge Park)?" Guilbeault said.

It's mind-blowing to me that the LPC and NDP are turning Gen Y and Z conservative despite passing Cannabis legalization, climate legislation and childcare. Housing really trumps all.

I don't think the Conservatives are going to offer the fixes people are hoping for.

Liberal, Conservative, they're on the same canoe arguing how fast to paddle up a dead-end creek.

I don't think young people who are angry care. They are fed up. And because the NDP is propping up this government, they are put into the same basket for lots of people.

I have voted NDP since I was 18 (I'm 35 now).

I am no longer thrilled with the party platforms or the fact that Jagmeet is propping up Justin.

I have my own feelings about Jagmeet but suffice to say I never thought he was qualified to be leader.

I may vote for someone else next election. Likely not conservative though because Pierre Pollievre is too extreme for my liking.

Next up, ask them what lifestyle changes and taxes they are willing to pay to address climate change. At least the hard right is kinda honest about not caring about climate change...

The next election is going to be quite interesting. Liberals are going to be screaming about climate change, abortion and LGBTQ rights. Conservatives going to talking about cost of living and homelessness. Somebody should send the LPC exec a copy of Maslow's hierarchy to explain to them how that fight is going to go.

And conservatives will shoot themselves in the foot again by not committing to being in step with the majority of Canadians who are not homophobic misogynists, while crying about any other dog whistle topic their base of regressives love.

Back