News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

I think you're preaching to the wrong crowd, Burloak. If only 1000 Canadians total voted for the Liberals this coming election I'd imagine 90% of UTers would be among them.
Eventually these posters at UT will outgrow their teens and they will actually use some rational thought before they vote.
Hopefully they will think of me when that time arrives.

I don't have a problem with the photo ops, I think Scheer would've done the same though perhaps with a bit more tact. I think what you are getting at though is the larger problem of the Trudeau regime, it's all vanity over substance. When your crowning achievement as a government over the past four years is marijuana legalization, you know your priorities are out of whack!
I just saw this tweet showing Scheer being there. Interesting that Scheer did not tweet it. CPC_HQ did not tweet it. It's almost like Scheer's goal was to help and not get publicity.

Bu
Maybe Trudeau should have stayed home and practiced his welcoming lines.
How much of this torture can Canadians take? Without a doubt, the biggest electoral mistake in Canadian history.

But on the plus side, Junior didn’t dress up in colourful traditional Japanese - or, uh...Chinese - costume. So that’s something.

Actually no, the CPC is trying to stop the bleeding, so to speak. If the PPC siphons off enough support, it could change the dynamic of the election. I don't know how many people followed the election in Spain today, but the People's Party, which is basically the default conservative party in the country, crashed and burned because VOX stole a bunch of their support. For reference, they are a right wing populist party, much like the PPC and are relatively new to the scene. I doubt that we will see a result like that in the election here, but if just enough people are convinced to ditch the CPC, it could hurt them.

Last edited:
I wonder how the Liberals are dealing with the Canola issue right now, there hasn't been much of a public response to this issue from the Liberals at the moment- China knows well what hooks work best, and when to start tugging them...

Trade dispute with China leaves Canola farmers unsure what to plant
Chinese companies have stopped buying canola seeds from Canadian producers, citing quality issues. Experts say the move is revenge against Canada for the December arrest of Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou.

Canola prices have dropped since the dispute began, and farmers say they are aren’t sure whether to bother planting the crop this spring. China used to buy about 40 per cent of Canada’s canola.
Both the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and the Canola Council of Canada (CCC) disagree with concerns raised by China’s customs agency, and have called for a scientific solution to the issue. China has yet to accept a Canadian delegation to investigate the issue.

An interesting assertion in the Sun, from a Conservative member:
Italy has shut out Canadian durum wheat. India has imposed punishing tariffs on Canadian pulses. Vietnam has stopped importing Canadian wheat. And now China has put an embargo on Canadian canola.

Canola seed exports to China alone were worth $2.7 billion last year. Fully 90% of canola grown in Canada is exported, and 40% of that total goes to China. The loss of the Chinese market hits Canadian producers directly and severely.
On nine separate occasions, Liberals have rejected demands from Conservatives for an emergency debate on the issue in the House of Commons.

The Liberal response has been typical of a government that doesn’t understand western Canada. They have convened a “working group” that meets to discuss the problem but hasn’t yet proposed any solutions. They have asked the Chinese government for permission to send a technical delegation to China when it’s already widely acknowledged that Canadian canola is the best and safest in the world.
His trade minister and foreign affairs minister both have yet to reach out to their Chinese counterparts to resolve this trade crisis. Canadians Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor are still locked up in a Chinese prison cell with the lights on 24 hours a day. Huawei remains a significant cybersecurity threat that is largely ignored. And Justin Trudeau still hasn’t replaced his ambassador to China months after his dismissal over another international embarrassment.

Fair points. If he didn't show up people would say he doesn't care. I've been involved with these events (non-military) and found them disruptive. Perhaps the military organizes better.

The military is simply more used to this than the rest. Also, we always have the nice CP (command post) where folks in clean uniforms are sitting around plugging away on laptops and radios. The perfect crew to entertain the VIP while the privates and corporals keep doing the work.

Like I said, it's not as disruptive as people think. Because 80% of their time is spent with officers not actually doing the physical work. Get them out there for a few quick pics and some encouraging words and then off he/she goes to the CP for some hot chocolate and powerpoint and map show by the OIC/OSC (officer-in-charge/On-scene commander). Would be the same whoever the VIP was and regardless of party. Heck, if the commander truly feels the politician is being disruptive, they can and will tell them to buzz off. I've seen that happen too.

I get that we have 'evolved' to an executive leadership government, but if somebody should be bopping around these sites, it should be the Public Safety minister (perhaps he's been there, IDK). Muskoka only gets Ford - they should be miffed.

Keep in mind this is the National Capital Region. And the floods were literally a half hour drive or less from 24 Sussex. Would have looked absolutely terrible if the PM didn't show up.

I find the divergence between Canada and the US particularly interesting. Or it could just be lag. We got Trudeau, years after they had Obama. And now as Canada leans conservative, Republicans are pretty much hanging on to power in the US because of the Electoral College, gerrymandering, etc. They simply don't have a popular mandate.

I am curious to see how Canadians absorb what's happening in the US and translating that to our politics.

I routinely see some strange comparisons. Comparing Ford to Trump, for example, simply ignores the whole dynamic of parliamentary politics or that a ton of minorities actually voted for Ford, unlike the US. Ford also seems less authoritarian than populist. More like a bumbling Mike Harris than Trump. Likewise, the occasional Obama-Trudeau comparisons are bizarre. Obama didn't come from a prominent family. He came out of nowhere, built a massive political machine to mobilize huge swathes of previously non-voters, and delivered some major policies in face of massive obstruction. Trudeau, on the other hand, started with high name recognition and is rather middle of the pack on legislative achievements (which risk getting overturned) while having a majority government.

FIFTH ESTATE:
Names of SNC employees, executives behind thousands of dollars in illegal Liberal Party donations revealed

Former attorney general of Quebec denies involvement in scheme that broke Canadian election law
Harvey Cashore, Frédéric Zalac · CBC News · Posted: Apr 30, 2019 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: an hour ago
An Elections Canada investigation revealed that between 2004 and 2009, 18 former SNC-Lavalin employees, directors and some spouses contributed nearly $110,000 to the federal Liberals. (Christinne Muschi/Reuters)
A confidential document sent to the Liberal Party of Canada in 2016, and obtained by CBC/Radio-Canada, reveals how top officials at the embattled engineering firm SNC-Lavalin were named in a scheme to illegally influence Canadian elections.
The list of names, compiled in 2016 by federal investigators probing political party donations and leaked to CBC's The Fifth Estate and Radio-Canada's Enquête, raises new questions about an agreement by the Commissioner of Canada Elections not to prosecute the company.
The federal Liberals were sent the list in a letter marked "confidential" from the Commissioner of Canada Elections — the investigative branch of Elections Canada — on Aug. 5, 2016. But for nearly three years, neither Elections Canada nor the Liberal Party shared that information publicly.
The investigation reveals that over a period of more than five years between 2004 and 2009, 18 former SNC-Lavalin employees, directors and some spouses contributed nearly $110,000 to the federal Liberals, including to four party leadership campaigns and four riding associations in Quebec.
According to the letter, the investigation found that SNC-Lavalin reimbursed all of those individual donations — a practice forbidden under the Canada Elections Act.
SNC also made indirect donations to the Conservative Party of just over $8,000, according to investigators.
Since 2004, corporations have not been allowed to make donations to federal political parties in order to prevent corporate influence over election campaigns.
[...continues at length, charts, details...]
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/snc-lavalin-liberal-donors-list-canada-elections-1.5114537

I find the divergence between Canada and the US particularly interesting. Or it could just be lag. We got Trudeau, years after they had Obama. And now as Canada leans conservative, Republicans are pretty much hanging on to power in the US because of the Electoral College, gerrymandering, etc. They simply don't have a popular mandate.

I am curious to see how Canadians absorb what's happening in the US and translating that to our politics.

I routinely see some strange comparisons. Comparing Ford to Trump, for example, simply ignores the whole dynamic of parliamentary politics or that a ton of minorities actually voted for Ford, unlike the US. Ford also seems less authoritarian than populist. More like a bumbling Mike Harris than Trump. Likewise, the occasional Obama-Trudeau comparisons are bizarre. Obama didn't come from a prominent family. He came out of nowhere, built a massive political machine to mobilize huge swathes of previously non-voters, and delivered some major policies in face of massive obstruction. Trudeau, on the other hand, started with high name recognition and is rather middle of the pack on legislative achievements (which risk getting overturned) while having a majority government.

Plus Ford in the past has done sponsoring for ethnic comminutes in the city, during the horrible time when "Ford Hall" was pumping on the news daily.

Other it costs a chunk-o-dough, does the Senate have any relevance to anybody anymore? If we have to continue to have a bi-cameral system, I would much rather explore some version of the US House of Representatives where member are elected on a provincial/regional representative basis (perhaps other 2-house systems in other countries have other options - I don't know). I'm reluctant to say arbitrarily dump it because they do have some degree of authority in the legislative process. Our current Commons is too heavily weighted to the party & leader with power.

Back