News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 394     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

There are many areas of Canadian Great Lakes waters where the fastest and most robust response will be from the US Coast Guard.

LOL. You mean all the Great Lakes except a little bit of Lake Ontario near the Bay of Quinte. I know that because I've seen the SAR maps....

This is one thing those who like to sing the patriotic song without a willingness to pay the royalties seem to forget. The US will not leave themselves vulnerable with what they perceive as a weak flank. They will defend and protect their continental integrity on their terms and not worry about asking permission.

As we now know the arctic is warming faster. So the day when Chinese warships are sailing up there is coming much earlier than most people think. And the only way to have a say is to have your own credible force up there.

Increasingly though, I suspect most Canadians are just fine with ceding more of our sovereignty to the US.

If the PC's do indeed form government in PEI, they won't go after the carbon tax like Ford and Scheer. Of course, they would be a minority government and I highly doubt the Greens or Liberals would back such an idea.

Uggh more piecemeal policy by province. I don't get why so much in a country of 37 million is done ten different ways. I sincerely wish the feds showed more leadership and issues like carbon pricing were dealt with by applying a single national policy. They could have left the spending management to the provinces. But at least have consistent pricing and revenue collection across the country.

Uggh more piecemeal policy by province. I don't get why so much in a country of 37 million is done ten different ways. I sincerely wish the feds showed more leadership and issues like carbon pricing were dealt with by applying a single national policy. They could have left the spending management to the provinces. But at least have consistent pricing and revenue collection across the country.

Sadly that’s structural, and it isn’t going to change anytime soon given our constitution,

AoD

Sadly that’s structural, and it isn’t going to change anytime soon given our constitution,

AoD

I get the reason for it. I just wish the feds and the provinces would cooperate more. This isn't the 1990s. We can't afford to have unnecessary regulatory burdens caused by jurisdictional differences, when larger emerging markets have more uniform laws across hundreds of millions of residents.

Last edited:
Volunteer confronts Trudeau over holding up Ottawa sandbag efforts for 'photo-op'

Who takes over a dozen army men away from their work for a photo op.?
Who brings a 5 year old to a work zone to work?
It's an obvious photo op that went horribly wrong for a PM who knows nothing but selfies and staged photos.

Quite frankly I find these executive visits to disaster sites to be unnecessarily disruptive, particularly if they involve active sites. No matter if it is the current PM or a US president, the necessary security detail and largely unnecessarily handlers are too disruptive, but they all do it. They consume time and people for a greater period of time than is usually apparent in the photo. It's one thing if it is a head of government meeting with other heads of government or disaster management leaders to get a first hand sense of the situation, but these types of photo ops accomplish nothing of substance. As for the presence of kids, I don't know, it's not a field trip (was it a PA day?) but in a sense it is a worksite.

Quite frankly I find these executive visits to disaster sites to be unnecessarily disruptive, particularly if they involve active sites. No matter if it is the current PM or a US president, the necessary security detail and largely unnecessarily handlers are too disruptive, but they all do it. They consume time and people for a greater period of time than is usually apparent in the photo. It's one thing if it is a head of government meeting with other heads of government or disaster management leaders to get a first hand sense of the situation, but these types of photo ops accomplish nothing of substance. As for the presence of kids, I don't know, it's not a field trip (was it a PA day?) but in a sense it is a worksite.

Surveying the damage can be done .......after the crisis has passed; as can the gladhanding of volunteers/soldiers.

If a pol, who is able bodied, and young'ish, wants to make a difference in such situations, they need to leave the kids, the aides and most or all of their security detail at home, and actually join the sandbagging crew.

While their personal efforts likely wouldn't add much, the example it sets to encourage others to help might be sufficiently useful to merit the intrusion; as well as being a genuine morale boost for those on the front line of a disaster.

Surveying the damage can be done .......after the crisis has passed; as can the gladhanding of volunteers/soldiers.

If a pol, who is able bodied, and young'ish, wants to make a difference in such situations, they need to leave the kids, the aides and most or all of their security detail at home, and actually join the sandbagging crew.

While their personal efforts likely wouldn't add much, the example it sets to encourage others to help might be sufficiently useful to merit the intrusion; as well as being a genuine morale boost for those on the front line of a disaster.
I expect the leader to be a leader and not a doer. No matter how young the PM is, I imagine the 15+ trained military personnel that were taken out of action for the photo are more productive than any one person.
This photo from New Brunswick as actually appropriate.
32235534_10156713787460649_8046542205952720896_n.jpg

The security detail is a mandatory. I'd say it's the camera crew that should be left at home.
After all, the purpose of the visit should be to help, and not to take photos.
If you want a photo, do it off to the side where you don't disrupt emergency efforts.

Meh. Leaders get slammed if they don't go and slammed if they go. Everyone in the military is used to this. Just see it as part and parcel of democracy.

"Hey guys we got some big shot coming through, you're going to have form up for 10.". For every general, minister, etc.

I've seen situations like this. 15-20 mins and the roadshow is gone and everyone is back to work. They take a few pictures with the troops and then spend the rest of the time talking to the Colonel. Notice how you're not seeing troops covered in mud in the photos. The real question is if he actually bought the troops coffee. That's what really improves morale in cold rainy weather.

Last edited:
Maybe Trudeau should have stayed home and practiced his welcoming lines.
How much of this torture can Canadians take? Without a doubt, the biggest electoral mistake in Canadian history.

I think you're preaching to the wrong crowd, Burloak. If only 1000 Canadians total voted for the Liberals this coming election I'd imagine 90% of UTers would be among them.

I don't have a problem with the photo ops, I think Scheer would've done the same though perhaps with a bit more tact. I think what you are getting at though is the larger problem of the Trudeau regime, it's all vanity over substance. When your crowning achievement as a government over the past four years is marijuana legalization, you know your priorities are out of whack!

Meh. Leaders get slammed if they don't go and slammed if they go. Everyone in the military is used to this. Just see it as part and parcel of democracy.

"Hey guys we got some big shot coming through, you're going to have form up for 10.". For every general, minister, etc.

I've seen situations like this. 15-20 mins and the roadshow is gone and everyone is back to work. They take a few pictures with the troops and then spend the rest of the time talking to the Colonel. Notice how you're not seeing troops covered in mud in the photos. The real question is if he actually bought the troops coffee. That's what really improves morale in cold rainy weather.

Fair points. If he didn't show up people would say he doesn't care. I've been involved with these events (non-military) and found them disruptive. Perhaps the military organizes better. ;)
I get that we have 'evolved' to an executive leadership government, but if somebody should be bopping around these sites, it should be the Public Safety minister (perhaps he's been there, IDK). Muskoka only gets Ford - they should be miffed.
The smiling faces might be a little irksome to the folks who have just lost their worldlies - again. Our daughter's in-laws have a meter of water in their basement for the second time.

Back