News   Aug 15, 2024
 59     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 202     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 538     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

This new party is clearly hoping to fill the space of the old PC party

I was going to compare them to the Mulroney era PCs yesterday but it seemed a bit of a stretch.

In my opinion however, the original incarnation of the PCs from Mulroney and before were truly progressive.

Deapite being hamstrung in some cases like with Joe Clark and Brian Mulroney (Meech Lake and Charlottetown accords) they fought for Canadians.

When Preston Manning entered the stage in the 90s alongside Lucien Bouchard/Jacques Parizeau it changed the party. They went from being progressive to being GOP-Lite.

If the party actually manages to recreate the formal Federal PC Party values they could go a long way.

As I said before, I'm a lifelong NDP supporter but I'm intrigued by their platform thus far.

I was considering sitting the next election out because I'm incredibly frustrated by the main two parties. Neither are giving me reasons to vote for them.

As a classic centrist swing voter, I'm fully ready to embrace this fresh new party.

I don't have any issue with a centre-left party - I do have an issue with an incompetent centre-left party/party leader that had walked into mistake after mistake.

We already have a centrist party in Canada. It's the LPC. If this kind of platform holds broad appeal for centrists they would be better served to advance it through the LPC that undertaking a 20 year project to get a federal party to credibility. The LPC will be a husk once Trudeau leaves.

The problem is who's credible that's left at the LPC? There seems to be a systemic lack of competency. The party need to wander in the desert for awhile.

AoD

I was considering sitting the next election out because I'm incredibly frustrated by the main two parties. Neither are giving me reasons to vote for them.

As a classic centrist swing voter, I'm fully ready to embrace this fresh new party.

Being open to this is indeed fine, if not desirable...........but aside from waiting for a detailed platform (I read what they posted........its very short on specifics), @picard102 is correct in as much as if you lend this party your vote, for it not to be a waste, they need to be polling credibly both nationally and in your riding. If the winner in your riding is a foregone conclusion, for better or worse, then a vote that's a 'flyer' might be fine, but best to be certain you don't inadvertently elect or re-elect a worse option.

Yes and voting for Jill Stein will save america.

While I agree, as I note above that its important not to waste a vote, particularly if that results in a different/lesser election outcome than you have liked to see, I would suggest its premature to dismiss that this party might be a credible option by the time October '25 rolls around. Certainly, that's a high mountain to climb; but given a lot of Canadians currently feeling that 'None of the Above' is a preferable choice to 'Any of the above'; if they are well funded, its not out of the question they could contend, its just too early to know.

The Greens who ought to have been a credible spoiler or partner to any other party have so shot themselves in the foot, again and again...........that there really does seem to be an opening.

Last edited:

Back