News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 537     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Richard, your posts are tiresome. You complain about Canada constantly and how others have it better elsewhere, and how you might leave, etc, etc. But will you actually do us a solid and go?

Empty words. There is no try, either do or do not.

I have words but I'd rather not use them at the moment to get banned.

If you must know I've been applying for work while I'm here.

I would also caution that it's not at all certain Europe will keep having it better indefinitely. Having the US provide substantially for their security freed up a lot of resources for social spending. Now that the US is pivoting to Asia and they have to provide for themselves, while not getting cheap resources from Russia, they might have to take hits to quality of life.

That said, if you know the local language and have solid employable skills, it could be better than working for $80k in Canada to pay $700k for a one bedroom condo in Toronto.

If you must know I've been applying for work while I'm here.
I call Newfoundland tube steak on this one. I guarantee you will be here on UT in June 2024 still whingeing about how awful Canada is and still threatening to exit. Because there are those that complain and those that act, and they’re rarely the same.

As an immigrant and now citizen myself, and having traveled to much of the world including Eastern Europe, though not Hungary, I am forever grateful every time my plane lands in Canada. This place isn’t perfect, but I feel someone intrinsically connected to the Canadian soil. When I returned to the UK in 2022 after 17 years I also felt culturally and ethnically connected to the place, but Canada is for me.

But back to my point above, if you’re a new potential immigrant, you must do your research before you come to ensure your credentials and experience will be accepted. My father came to Canada before us, applying for and obtaining a job in his field before he committed to emigrate, and then waiting in that job for six months before sending for family to join him. It was perhaps easier in those 1970s, but today communication, information and real life experiences of others are so much easier at hand. The fact that an Indian-trained doctor is likely to work in retail and never have their credentials valued in Canada should come as zero surprise - just ask those already here.

Last edited:
@wopchop an interesting read in light of our discussions on PEO.
I have known quite a few people in this situation. Construction is full of these people, because we are so desperate for people that we essentially require zero qualifications.
That being said, I think it is wrong that the Federal government implemented current immigration points system, when they know that many of these people will not have their qualifications recognized by the provinces. There should have been far more coordination on this issue, a long time ago.
Unfortunately, I think that over the last twenty years, the immigration points system has become skewed to favour employers that are not willing to keep up with wage growth.
Older people like to complain that youth are lazy and don't want to work - well, they don't want to work because Canadian employers pay them peanuts, provide shitty benefits, and hardly any vacation time. Why would that wonderful package motivate them at all?

...... I think it is wrong that the Federal government implemented current immigration points system, when they know that many of these people will not have their qualifications recognized by the provinces. There should have been far more coordination on this issue, a long time ago.

I certainly agree w/that, but to tie it back to the PEO conversation, alot of these people seem to have less difficulty getting their credential recognized in the U.S. or Europe or in Asian countries that are not their home country. This does beg the question of whether the bar we are setting on credentials is correct/fair.

If it is; it would seem that many other places are allowing people to practice engineering/medicine/architecture/University Professorships without sufficient evidence of their capability.

I'm not taking a firm position here, in that it covers a wide range of credentials and professions and I simply don't have the requisite expertise to comment. But I must confess to a suspicious that Canadian professional guilds and some employers are setting up barriers that are excessive or unjustified and/or have processes for allowing you to get over those barriers that unreasonable/cumbersome etc.

(I'm thinking of doctors who came here, who were willing to be supervised and/or work a residence all over again, but we didn't have the funded resident spaces and they could languish for years waiting to get one.)

Unfortunately, I think that over the last twenty years, the immigration points system has become skewed to favour employers that are not willing to keep up with wage growth.

That certainly wouldn't surprise me. Perhaps I will take the time to go over the point system and see how skewed it appears.

Older people like to complain that youth are lazy and don't want to work - well, they don't want to work because Canadian employers pay them peanuts, provide shitty benefits, and hardly any vacation time. Why would that wonderful package motivate them at all?

I agree completely. Wages should be internationally competitive for peer countries; paid vacation should be no less than 4 weeks, for an unskilled worker, or a worker in their first year with a new employer, and 5 weeks or greater in all other cases.

On benefits, I would prefer to see state-supported universal pharmacare and core dental care as I see this as more efficient, and addresses the issue that these things should still be available to the unemployed.

I certainly agree w/that, but to tie it back to the PEO conversation, alot of these people seem to have less difficulty getting their credential recognized in the U.S. or Europe or in Asian countries that are not their home country. This does beg the question of whether the bar we are setting on credentials is correct/fair.

If it is; it would seem that many other places are allowing people to practice engineering/medicine/architecture/University Professorships without sufficient evidence of their capability.

What I took from the article you posted is not that it is "easier" in those other places, but there is actual job demand.

A recent Statistics Canada report suggested there are no widespread labour shortages for jobs that require high levels of education as the number of unemployed Canadians with a bachelor’s degree or higher education since 2016 has always exceeded the number of vacant positions that require at least an undergraduate education.

Moving to the USA is also not so straightforward, as you need employer sponsorship. There are also big differences with our system. For example, if you are getting sponsorship, then the employer is responsible for the recognition of credentials and qualifications. They hire private firms that specialize in doing this for them. In this system, the employer is more incentived than ours, who have nothing to do with it at all.

Moving to the USA is also not so straightforward, as you need employer sponsorship. There are also big differences with our system. For example, if you are getting sponsorship, then the employer is responsible for the recognition of credentials and qualifications. They hire private firms that specialize in doing this for them. In this system, the employer is more incentived than ours, who have nothing to do with it at all.

Much easier to get that visa with a Canadian passport than an Indian passport. We're becoming the farm team for the US. They'll take the best. We'll keep the rest.

And while I complain about this government. I'm fairly sure that a change in government will just change the emphasis from housing ponzi to resource extraction. Our leaders have no clue how to build a high tech, high value economy. And frankly they don't care, because it's beyond their electoral cycle to worry about such things. Even sadder is that most of the electorate is just as clueless, which is why we're getting the politicians we deserve.
This might be excessively doomer-y. Tech is pretty robust in southern Ontario. Toronto is one of the biggest tech employment hubs in NA. The biggest ongoing problem is the amount of venture capital/lack of ecosystem for growing startups.

I agree that the housing bubble is a disaster for our economic competitiveness. I think deflating the bubble, while painful, would be a good thing in the longer term--just politically challenging.

This might be excessively doomer-y.

Disagree. I think people say this because:

1) They don't understand how disproportionate tech is. High end gets the most value.

2) It's very hard for Canadians to admit that our current economic strategy is completely wrong.

Tech is pretty robust in southern Ontario.

Something something...past performance is not an indicator of future results.

Toronto is one of the biggest tech employment hubs in NA.

That really isn't saying much. The quality of work done and the resultant value add matters.

The biggest ongoing problem is the amount of venture capital/lack of ecosystem for growing startups.

This is related to this:

I agree that the housing bubble is a disaster for our economic competitiveness.

Screwed up capital allocation added to foreign policy that is slowly reducing our previously privileged access, to the dominant players in many of the technology domains that will form the basis of the 21st century economy, is going to have an economic impact.

Think of the implications of a leading Canadian company like D-Wave. They get major contracts from the US for all their Quantum Computing platforms. Now imagine the US says, "No development contracts unless you are in an AUKUS partner nation." What do you think their management will do? You think they'll still domicile and do R&D in Canada? Now imagine that in the context of being unable to raise sufficient capital in Canada. And keep in mind, no amount of trade negotiation will bypass national security considerations.

People can call me a doomer all they want. But when I see the proportion of our best and brightest who are making exit plans growing by the day, it doesn't leave me very optimistic. Especially when I think a lot of our political class (regardless of team jersey) is just outright ignorant to these issues or don't care.

Much easier to get that visa with a Canadian passport than an Indian passport. We're becoming the farm team for the US. They'll take the best. We'll keep the rest.
Yes, plenty of people do this too.
It would be interesting to see published numbers on how many people actually do it.

Richard, your posts are tiresome. You complain about Canada constantly and how others have it better elsewhere, and how you might leave, etc, etc. But will you actually do us a solid and go?

Empty words. There is no try, either do or do not.
The simplest way not to be exposed to his (unfilled) plans and often incorrect statements is to IGNORE him. He is on my (very short) ignore list and and I recommend it.

Back