News   May 10, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.4K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

I wonder if the proliferation of big box stores in the suburbs hasn't caused this. 90% of people on 90% of shopping trips don't need 100,000+ square feet of Loblaws/Walmart/Costco for their usual shopping needs, but we build these wasteful spaces anyways.

It's not just the big box stores. Go look at most malls these days. They are largely dead during the week. And outside major holiday weekends, only marginally busy on holiday weekends. And mall space is massively expensive to maintain.

Beyond that, even all our fast food giants are both ridiculously numerous and huge by global standards. Think of how big the average Tim's or Starbucks is, compared to the average café in Italy.

Here also is an anecdote from my own workplace:

we opened the garden centre at my store at Easter, and station a cashier out there. Historically, what happens is that the garden centre is completely rammed on weekends, to the extent that even having 10 cashiers out there wouldn't be enough, but it's completely dead during the week. The weather we've been having lately compounds the mistake,but rather than closing the register, bringing the employee in, and telling the customers to walk to the inside registers, they have instead said that we are forbidden from closing that register even if we have an employee shortage (which is frequent). In the past it has also been practice to shut the garden register one hour before the rest of the store; this is now also forbidden. Instead of bringing the cashier inside where it's above all, warm and dry, and where they might actually be productive, corporate thinks it's a better idea to station someone outside in the bitter cold where they do sweet fuck all most of the day, while the cashiers inside the store struggle.

This must be that private sector innovation we keep hearing about.

I am hearing that the trades unions don't want more people either. Not sure about the veracity of those claims.
I am not so sure this is true, but one thing people (especially politicians) don't talk about with all this building more housing talk is that more apprentices is not necessarily the easy answer. I can't have a crew just take on unlimited apprentices. You need adequate people to train and supervise them, otherwise they are a liability to themselves and the project.

Another factor - project schedules these days are created by owners and general contractors with no sense of reality. Literally complete bullshit in most cases. For trade contractors to meet those schedules, they need skilled and productive workers. Apprentices are usually neither, so an abundance of them can actually set you back. There is a place for apprentices for sure, but you need a balance, with a crew comprised mostly of people that can be very productive and drag along the few stragglers.

Last edited:
I am not so sure this is true, but one thing people (especially politicians) don't talk about with all this building more housing talk is that more apprentices is not necessarily the easy answer. I can't have a crew just take on unlimited apprentices. You need adequate people to train and supervise them, otherwise they are a liability to themselves and the project.

Another factor - project schedules these days are created by owners and general contractors with no sense of reality. Literally complete bullshit in most cases. For trade contractors to meet those schedules, they need skilled and productive workers. Apprentices are usually neither, so an abundance of them can actually set you back. There is a place for apprentices for sure, but you need a balance, with a crew comprised mostly of people that can be very productive and drag along the few stragglers.

I think this really reveals complexity.

Something I was aware of, but its great to hear it in the open and discussed more.

I've spoken of the fact that many companies in the development space are adamant that if you removed virtually all zoning, most development charges and a great deal of regulation they wouldn't get much more done than today.

There are simply finite human resources, finite supply chains and finite equipment to move faster.

Its not impossible and no one would suggest that, but its certainly not as easy as others would make it out to be.

Thanks for the response. I knew it wasn't so simple - we've really dug ourselves into a big mess haven't we ... ?

My suggestion...​

Her Excellency the Right Honourable Mary Simon, Governor General of Canada​

gg05-2021-0048-001_8x10.jpg
From link.

Each time Canada gets a new Governor General, his or her portrait goes on the currency or coins or stamps.

Canada asking to join AUKUS. Because it's worried that this isn't just a nuclear sub deal but could lead to a framework to supplant five eyes. I seem to recall saying that and being told I was a closet American militarist.

Or maybe the government is starting to realize that trade and security are Increasingly intertwined in the 21st century and friendshoring and tech sharing will favour security partners more than just friends.

Canada asking to join AUKUS. Because it's worried that this isn't just a nuclear sub deal but could lead to a framework to supplant five eyes. I seem to recall saying that and being told I was a closet American militarist.
Paywall free here https://archive.is/iEZFm

Canada is going to have to seriously up its game before the US, UK and Aussies will let us play. For starters, most of our naval assets and attention are in the North Atlantic, not Pacific. I suppose the virtue signaling about Canada wanting a dozen new submarines is intended to suggest we're serious.

What submarine options are realistic for Canada? We hope we don't try to build them at home, but instead buy some from elsewhere. I know that's politically difficult, but all of our past submarines were foreign-built, even when our shipyards were churning out DDEs aplenty. We need long range SSKs with accommodations suitable for long deployments. Japan, AIUI produces submarines regardless of need just to keep the yard open and expertise on hand, and has been offering their subs for export.

There’s also the French.

Last edited:
Canada hopes to join Aukus defence pact, says report

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/08/canada-aukus-defence-pact

“There was a lot of hand wringing in Canada at the time, as there always is when we’re not part of something. But Canada does not want nuclear submarines. We don’t have the money for nuclear submarines at this point.”

But in the months since Aukus was formed, a number of working groups have formed to deal with emerging and disruptive technologies, said Juneau, who is working on a paper about the future of Canada’s relations with Aukus with Stephanie Carvin, an associate professor of international relations at Carleton University.
Juneau said it was “definitely in Canada’s interest” to try to be in those working groups, though it is unclear how closely they will be tied to the nuclear submarine technology dimension. “The door is not shut for Canada to be involved, but Canada will have to show what it can bring to the table,” he said, adding Canada has emerged as a leader in artificial and signals intelligence.

But amid growing criticism that the governing Liberals have neglected defence and intelligence investments, Canada faces stiff competition to gain access to the group as other nations, such as Japan and South Korea, also make a case for inclusion.

New Zealand might want to join too.

I can foresee an unfortunate acronym, CANZUKUS. Sung to Hammer Time.

They specifically went out of their way to build something other than Five Eyes. So we're more recreating FE. Japan and South Korea probably have better chances to get in than Canada and New Zealand.

Each time Canada gets a new Governor General, his or her portrait goes on the currency or coins or stamps.
I don't want to be looking at Julie Payette's crazy eyes every time I put my $20 down at the Rail.

Last edited:

Back