News   Jul 29, 2024
 108     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 320     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 428     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

International media picking up the story....

A fairly thorough piece.

While it doesn't use this turn of phrase, I think it discusses the idea of Canada having a 'Tall Poppy Syndrome'.

Ostentatiousness is contrary to the social DNA of the country as it were.

There's multiple different issues here. Centralization in the PMO is rather different from political interference in the civil service. The first issue is really a political one for parties and parliament to resolve. The second is arguably one that is relevant to office location. But I'm not sure how much changing the physical distance between the two organizations would substantially reduce interference. What this needs is legislation so that public servants can feel free to refuse to interact with political actors outside their normal management chain.
I agree that it would take much more than simply re-arranging the office space, but I don't think we can discount the impact of Telford or (formerly) Butts would have on public servants simply by their presence. The concept of speaking truth to power, or even speaking candidly, should involve those that formally have the power or their authorized delegates (authorized in the sense of CoC, various pieces of legislation, etc.), not their minions.

Imagine if you had to share space with somebody who worked for your immediate senior officer but wasn't part of your organization and who's only professional loyalty was to him/her, and they were involved in everything you do. Oh, and they cared more about the fortunes of the boss more than the fortunes of the CAF.

Twitter officially lists the CBC as "government-funded" media:

Government-funded implies that the government influences the editorial stance.

The CBC is a public broadcaster and is editorially independent of the government.

Pierre Poilievre pressured Elon Musk to label the CBC as "government-funded" as an attempt to discredit the CBC.

Just get an interview with Elon Musk and he'll change it as did with the BBC. On a serious note, (I'm not sure if that was how it was changed, or if that was why) below is how they define...The CBC does fit the government funded category after all - With varying degree of editorial content ranging from 0 to 100 and more of a catch all term with little indication of control; this is where twitter probably needs to tighten up its definition to be, as Elon puts it, more accurate.

The BBC is funded primarily through license fee charged to all British citizens versus CBC via taxes and commercial financing as I understand it. Not sure if that changes from publicly to government funded or if there, at the end of the day, make much difference according to the existing definitions.

How state-affiliated media accounts are defined
State-affiliated media is defined as outlets where the state exercises control over editorial content through financial resources, direct or indirect political pressures, and/or control over production and distribution. Accounts belonging to state-affiliated media entities, their editors-in-chief, and/or their prominent staff may be labeled. We will also add labels to Tweets that share links to state-affiliated media websites.

How government-funded media accounts are defined
Government-funded media is defined as outlets where the government provides some or all of the outlet’s funding and may have varying degrees of government involvement over editorial content. We may use external sources similar to this one in order to determine when this label is applied.

How publicly-funded media accounts are defined
Publicly-funded media refers to media organizations that receive funding from license fees, individual contributions, public financing, and commercial financing.

Source

Last edited:
If any media company receives grants, tax credits, etc it should then be marked as government funded?

I agree with the above piece; though I find the lack of specificity a problem.

On competition: Let's break up the 3 or 4 largest sectoral oligopolies

The grocery sector, split up Empire and Loblaws; and order as well that you can't be in the grocery wholesale business and the retail business.

Relatedly, ban listing fees at all retailers without exception. Listings fees create a brutal barrier to entry and reduce competition. I'm friends with the boss of a small gourmet food producer and can say, a few years ago when they wanted on to the national grocery shelves, the base entry fee to get on just one national supermarket chain's buy list (this is not the same as getting an order, but just being eligible to be ordered from) was $40,000. There was then a per sku, per store listing fee on top of that.

The Telcos are another obvious set that come to mind, hiving off 1/3 of customers from the market leaders might be something useful; but I would interested in a couple of different ideas, really easing up on re-sellers and creating a proper, regulated wholesale market for spectrum and fibre space; I'd also like to force Rogers and Bell completely out of the content business (TV Stations, production) as this is a huge conflict of interest and results in weird subsides crossing different units.

The Big Banks are a curious case, as they are generally competitive overseas; but they also milk the domestic market heavily. I think a focus there should be on ripping away some of their retail heft and maybe aiming for a 'Big 7' instead of Big 5' could be helpful; but we may also just need some regulation in the market in respect of reducing bank fees; and also mandating more access to capital for both first time business owners but also venture capital. To be clear, the last thing we need is the gov't micro-managing, any mandate should be at the high level, not loan by loan, sector by sector or region by region.

I think we need to look at finishing the unification of capital markets and incorporation rules in Canada. We made a dent a few years ago; but we need a simple idea, if you're incorporated in any province, you're incorporated in every province, under the same basic rules.

We also need to streamline/unify several other key sets of regulations (franchising comes to mind)

Provinces should free to set their own labour regulations in some measure; but I think providing a roughly common floor would be helpful and a good way to sell the overall package to the masses.

Harmonize the minimum number paid personal/sick days, the minimum amount of paid vacation, a common set of 10 Statutory Holidays , and the length of the work week, and you simplify doing business. If you 'raise' those standards
to the highest in any province currently (ie. most vacation days) you also raise the standard of living for most people.

- 5 paid personal days for everyone (BC), 3 weeks paid vacation from year 1 (Sask), 10 Stat. Holidays (BC is actually currently at 11, but there's a wide number and bringing everyone to a common 10 +1 of their choosing would minimize hassle while providing a perk.

- The work week should be 40 hours, that's the rule in the U.S., and in Canada it ranges (44 in Ontario) (48 in Nfld)

This one will sound strange to some, I'd raise corporate taxes; the reason I would do this is to lower fixed costs (imposed by gov't) that act as barriers to entry.

So, in Ontario, I would raise corporate tax, but then use that money to:

- Allow Ontario to create a true wholesale market for beer/wine/spirits for the hospitality sector.
- Allow a reduction in Business Education Taxes which are fixed tax one pays whether profitable or not
- Eliminate needless regulatory bodies and their associated fees (many are needed, but many are useless)
- Use the money to pay down Hydro-related debt so that we don't require the large power subsidies but can maintain competitive rates.

Time to eliminate the Dairy Cartel. I favoured supply management for many years, as it avoided the need for some of the dairy subsidies we see in the U.S. But both excessive pricing and competition stifling demand a new path.

Raise the cost of labour. Time to lift the minimum wage to at least $20 per hour everywhere in Canada; and to at least $23 per hour in the two most expensive places to live, the lower mainland in BC and the Greater Golden Horseshoe.

This will drive investment in automation and labour-saving tech.

As will cutting off the supply of TFWs and exploited foreign students filling fast food and security jobs and the like.

To be clear, I would in no way limit educated, high-end labour coming in; nor would I reduce by even one top tier university students both graduate and under-grad coming in; I would focus on those we exploitively mooch in the
Community College system and who are clearly not benefiting, from the status quo and neither is Canada.

Eliminate small business tax rates, these actually create a dis-incentive to growth. Re-focus on less needless regulation, lower/no fees, reduced fixed-cost taxes, across the board.

Edit to add: We've all talked ad nauseum (and rightly so) about the hyper-inflated real estate ponzi scheme, its worth noting its effect on starting and growing new business as well.

Last edited:
I agree with the above piece; though I find the lack of specificity a problem.

On competition: Let's break up the 3 or 4 largest sectoral oligopolies

The grocery sector, split up Empire and Loblaws; and order as well that you can't be in the grocery wholesale business and the retail business.

Relatedly, ban listing fees at all retailers without exception. Listings fees create a brutal barrier to entry and reduce competition. I'm friends with the boss of a small gourmet food producer and can say, a few years ago when they wanted on to the national grocery shelves, the base entry fee to get on just one national supermarket chain's buy list (this is not the same as getting an order, but just being eligible to be ordered from) was $40,000. There was then a per sku, per store listing fee on top of that.

The Telcos are another obvious set that come to mind, hiving off 1/3 of customers from the market leaders might be something useful; but I would interested in a couple of different ideas, really easing up on re-sellers and creating a proper, regulated wholesale market for spectrum and fibre space; I'd also like to force Rogers and Bell completely out of the content business (TV Stations, production) as this is a huge conflict of interest and results in weird subsides crossing different units.

The Big Banks are a curious case, as they are generally competitive overseas; but they also milk the domestic market heavily. I think a focus there should be on ripping away some of their retail heft and maybe aiming for a 'Big 7' instead of Big 5' could be helpful; but we may also just need some regulation in the market in respect of reducing bank fees; and also mandating more access to capital for both first time business owners but also venture capital. To be clear, the last thing we need is the gov't micro-managing, any mandate should be at the high level, not loan by loan, sector by sector or region by region.

I think we need to look at finishing the unification of capital markets and incorporation rules in Canada. We made a dent a few years ago; but we need a simple idea, if you're incorporated in any province, you're incorporated in every province, under the same basic rules.

We also need to streamline/unify several other key sets of regulations (franchising comes to mind)

Provinces should free to set their own labour regulations in some measure; but I think providing a roughly common floor would be helpful and a good way to sell the overall package to the masses.

Harmonize the minimum number paid personal/sick days, the minimum amount of paid vacation, a common set of 10 Statutory Holidays , and the length of the work week, and you simplify doing business. If you 'raise' those standards
to the highest in any province currently (ie. most vacation days) you also raise the standard of living for most people.

- 5 paid personal days for everyone (BC), 3 weeks paid vacation from year 1 (Sask), 10 Stat. Holidays (BC is actually currently at 11, but there's a wide number and bringing everyone to a common 10 +1 of their choosing would minimize hassle while providing a perk.

- The work week should be 40 hours, that's the rule in the U.S., and in Canada it ranges (44 in Ontario) (48 in Nfld)

This one will sound strange to some, I'd raise corporate taxes; the reason I would do this is to lower fixed costs (imposed by gov't) that act as barriers to entry.

So, in Ontario, I would raise corporate tax, but then use that money to:

- Allow Ontario to create a true wholesale market for beer/wine/spirits for the hospitality sector.
- Allow a reduction in Business Education Taxes which are fixed tax one pays whether profitable or not
- Eliminate needless regulatory bodies and their associated fees (many are needed, but many are useless)
- Use the money to pay down Hydro-related debt so that we don't require the large power subsidies but can maintain competitive rates.

Time to eliminate the Dairy Cartel. I favoured supply management for many years, as it avoided the need for some of the dairy subsidies we see in the U.S. But both excessive pricing and competition stifling demand a new path.

Raise the cost of labour. Time to lift the minimum wage to at least $20 per hour everywhere in Canada; and to at least $23 per hour in the two most expensive places to live, the lower mainland in BC and the Greater Golden Horseshoe.

This will drive investment in automation and labour-saving tech.

As will cutting off the supply of TFWs and exploited foreign students filling fast food and security jobs and the like.

To be clear, I would in no way limit educated, high-end labour coming in; nor would I reduce by even one top tier university students both graduate and under-grad coming in; I would focus on those we exploitively mooch in the
Community College system and who are clearly not benefiting, from the status quo and neither is Canada.

Eliminate small business tax rates, these actually create a dis-incentive to growth. Re-focus on less needless regulation, lower/no fees, reduced fixed-cost taxes, across the board.

Edit to add: We've all talked ad nauseum (and rightly so) about the hyper-inflated real estate ponzi scheme, its worth noting its effect on starting and growing new business as well.
Other than cooperative and voluntary alignment, you are up against the Constitution in some of those areas. Specifically, business incorporation is a provincial responsibility. Securities regulation is not clearly allocated and the provinces and feds have been on-and-off over it since the 1930s.

Even federal-provincial or inter-provincial cooperation in other areas such as labour mobility, will always run up against Quebec and, increasingly, Alberta.

Other than cooperative and voluntary alignment, you are up against the Constitution in some of those areas. Specifically, business incorporation is a provincial responsibility. Securities regulation is not clearly allocated and the provinces and feds have been on-and-off over it since the 1930s.

Even federal-provincial or inter-provincial cooperation in other areas such as labour mobility, will always run up against Quebec and, increasingly, Alberta.

The Atlantic provinces are actually voluntarily moving in this direction, they have just signed an agreement recognizing all medical credentials and right to work of doctors from one province to the next and have also moved to harmonize their minimum wages by years end.

The provinces are free to cooperate voluntarily; and Ottawa is free to incent same.

Last edited:

Back