News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 749     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Bringing in people from affected countries does not flatten the curve though as you bring more chains of infections

No one argues it stops all infections.

I suppose 'leadership' means different things to different people. I don't need the head of government running around filling sandbags, greeting sick people or whatever the crisis of the day is. In this case, leadership to me means a government that demonstrates a calm, considered and professional response to the issues of public health and safety. The role of the legislative part of government is to ensure that the right policies, coordination and funding are in place to let the actual professionals to do their jobs.

I think the pm should be in the media giving announcements though for major policy changes as there is a ton of misinformation and a very decentralized response currently.

That is why I am glad he is not gone into a bunker.

Even in a bunker, he can make announcements. He doesn't need to be there in person. He is demonstrating the responsible thing to do by self-isolating. If he WERE out showing his face, that would be irresponsible. I don't like the guy, but I agree with him staying away from people at this time.

I don't like the guy, but I agree with him staying away from people at this time.

He had contact with someone tested positive - it would be inconceivable for him to not self-isolate (like just what kind of message would doing otherwise send to the general public who had to do the same?). Lead by example isn't an option.

AoD

Even in a bunker, he can make announcements. He doesn't need to be there in person. He is demonstrating the responsible thing to do by self-isolating. If he WERE out showing his face, that would be irresponsible. I don't like the guy, but I agree with him staying away from people at this time.
As far as a national leader during this crisis, I'll take Trudeau over Trump (or Xi Jinping) any day. I can't imagine Andrew Scheer would be any better.

What I'd like Trudeau to announce today.....
1) Announce national measures for closures of businesses or meeting places that meet the criteria medical experts or Health Canada recommends.
2) Announce that that Ottawa requires provincial and territorial compliance or the Federal Emergencies Act will be enacted.
3) 100% tax credit to cover the fixed costs, rent, etc. for any restaurants or businesses mandated to close
4) 100% income replacement to all employees forced to stay home. Perhaps calculated on 1/12 of 2019 tax filings.
5) Close all airports and train stations, effective tomorrow.
6) Do not tell all Canadians to come home. Instead, tell Canadians to stay where they are if they can.
7) Refuse entry to all non-citizens and residents, including Canada-US border crossings
8) Announce that government and RCMP is watching for profiteering during the crisis. Like this tool.

#3 and 4 above will get expensive, but at the end of the day the money mostly stays and returns to the Canadian economy. I'd rather spend it to help people than blow it on needless pipelines.

Last edited:
As far as a national leader during this crisis, I'll take Trudeau over Trump (or Xi Jinping) any day. I can't imagine Andrew Scheer would be any better.

What I'd like Trudeau to announce today.....
1) Announce national measures for closures of businesses or meeting places that meet the criteria medical experts or Health Canada recommends.
2) Announce that that Ottawa requires provincial and territorial compliance or the Federal Emergencies Act will be enacted.
3) 100% tax credit to cover the fixed costs, rent, etc. for any restaurants or businesses mandated to close
4) 100% income replacement to all employees forced to stay home. Perhaps calculated on 1/12 of 2019 tax filings.
5) Close all airports and train stations, effective tomorrow.
6) Do not tell all Canadians to come home. Instead, tell Canadians to stay where they are if they can.
7) Refuse entry to all non-citizens and residents, including Canada-US border crossings
8) Announce that government and RCMP is watching for profiteering during the crisis.

#3 and 4 above will get expensive, but at the end of the day the money mostly stays and returns to the Canadian economy. I'd rather spend it to help people than blow it on needless pipelines.
The problem with telling Canadians to stay where they are is that they likely won’t have medical coverage should it be required.

Emergencies Act
R.S.C., 1985, c. 22 (4th Supp.)

Orders and Regulations
Marginal note:Orders and regulations

• 8 (1) While a declaration of a public welfare emergency is in effect, the Governor in Council may make such orders or regulations with respect to the following matters as the Governor in Council believes, on reasonable grounds, are necessary for dealing with the emergency:
    • (a) the regulation or prohibition of travel to, from or within any specified area, where necessary for the protection of the health or safety of individuals;
    • (b) the evacuation of persons and the removal of personal property from any specified area and the making of arrangements for the adequate care and protection of the persons and property;
    • (c) the requisition, use or disposition of property;
    • (d) the authorization of or direction to any person, or any person of a class of persons, to render essential services of a type that that person, or a person of that class, is competent to provide and the provision of reasonable compensation in respect of services so rendered;
    • (e) the regulation of the distribution and availability of essential goods, services and resources;
    • (f) the authorization and making of emergency payments;
    • (g) the establishment of emergency shelters and hospitals;
    • (h) the assessment of damage to any works or undertakings and the repair, replacement or restoration thereof;
    • (i) the assessment of damage to the environment and the elimination or alleviation of the damage; and
    • (j) the imposition
      • (i) on summary conviction, of a fine not exceeding five hundred dollars or imprisonment not exceeding six months or both that fine and imprisonment, or
      • (ii) on indictment, of a fine not exceeding five thousand dollars or imprisonment not exceeding five years or both that fine and imprisonment,
    • for contravention of any order or regulation made under this section.

The problem with telling Canadians to stay where they are is that they likely won’t have medical coverage should it be required.
Yes, we need to bring those folks home. But that doesn't apply to everyone. I'm a British citizen for example, if I was in the UK or a dependent territory (Bermuda, BVI, etc), I could get medical care there. My boss is an Irish citizen, and he's in Galloway now, and is keeping put there. There's no reason for Ottawa to tell dual citizens of first world nations or those with comprehensive and not at risk out of country medical insurance to hurry home.

Last edited:
Many providers won't offer coverage because of the travel advisory. I'm currently out of the country and have been advised that the fine print tells me I have 10 days to return at which point my coverage is null and void. I agree re dual citizens, but I'm thinking of the many snowbirds who aren't.

Many providers won't offer coverage because of the travel advisory. I'm currently out of the country and have been advised that the fine print tells me I have 10 days to return at which point my coverage is null and void. I agree re dual citizens, but I'm thinking of the many snowbirds who aren't.
Your post makes me think of all those millions of Americans with zero health insurance. If there was ever a first world nation set up for disaster it's the USA.

And as discussed, closing the border doesn't do much. Canadians returning from all over the world are coming in. They could be carriers.

And as discussed, closing the border doesn't do much. Canadians returning from all over the world are coming in. They could be carriers.

By this time, what will close the border is airlines pretty much dropping most flights due to lack of demand - it would be a defacto closure by air (and frankly, with community spread, we should be stopping domestic ones as well).

AoD

Not only that, Many Snowbirds reside in the US to the maximum that their rules allow. Exceeding that might render them in the country illegally. Also, there are IRS implications that I don't fully understand but have heard much about. Exceeding certain time limits or other residency rules makes you subject to US tax filing. The US could possibly waive them but I don't know what legislative mechanics would be required. For certain, no medical coverage would be the big and immediate concern, and I can't see private carriers playing nice.

Back