News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 411     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Further to Philpott, highly regarded in a number of circles as one of the Cabinet's better ministers, along with JWR, the 'assurances' of the Party Faithful in various newspapers a la "Nothing to See Here" look beyond desperate...not to mention the polls:
More than half of Canadians say charges against SNC-Lavalin should go to criminal trial: poll

Don't know if we're there yet, but on the way to a failed Liberal leadership going into the election, and thus if they don't 'find themselves' before that election, the logic presents itself that effort and votes are wasted voting Lib anyway (just to salute a sinking ship), so is this the remaking of Ottawa politics in a new party being born? This is exactly how party splits happen.

And here's the upside: A New Party with two tall standing women will attract the female vote (for all the right reasons, and not 'just because they're women'...these are 'highly able persons') and perhaps the Green Party and disaffected Cons could also make an alliance, if not join.

I'm sure we'll be seeing serious discussion about this in the media in the next few days. This would also be cathartic to provincial politics, Ontario being a prime case.

I observe that Gerry and Katie ran Wynne's office and left in the year prior to her loss to go run Trudeau's campaign................pattern? curse? LOL
At the minimum, it's more than just chance. The individuals per-se aren't as important as in the way their methods are dated and as may prove shortly, no longer viable. As jaded as the electorate is, there's a hunger for a more honest, accountable type of government. This is indicated in the reactionary lurch to populists. A good deal of that lurch would respond to an honest and accountable party.

It worked for Schreiner last provincial election, it worked for Preston Manning, someone not my political leaning, but someone I respect and trust.

More on this later...

Quick footnote: The gender aspect is front and centre on this. How can I state that with less then a trend? (3 or more) Because we're seeing this in the UK writ large (both major parties) and in the Dem leadership race in the US.

This isn't a lean to "Feminism" in its commonly accepted form (which isn't true to its roots, to be honest), but it is a lean towards sensitive honesty! With the next minister and/or backbencher to resign, we'll see if there's a trend, and which way it's headed.
Ms. Philpott, a medical doctor, said similar concerns have been expressed to her by constituents in her Ontario riding of Markham-Stouffville as well as Canadians across the country about the importance of the rule of law.

“It grieves me to leave a portfolio where I was at work to deliver on an important mandate. But I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them,” she said.

Last edited:
My guess is whatever trial for SNC Lavalin is pushed to after October, by which time the DPA has been issued.
I think the judge may just throw the whole thing out due to massive political interference with the entire judiciary, that jeopardizes their ability for a fair trial. The Liberals would get their wish in the end.

I would be cool with Freeland as PM.
Problem the Liberals will now have - which MP continued to support the corrupt Trudeau. So far, only 3 people can hold their heads high. And then who would vote Liberal when 90% of the MP's (including Freeland, who bungled the NAFTA negotiations) continue to support corruption. It's back to the same situation as with the NDP and Thomas Mulcair. Then leader may be ok, the the team are completely untrustworthy and not worthy of running anything.

Last edited:
Quick footnote: The gender aspect is front and centre on this. How can I state that with less then a trend? (3 or more) Because we're seeing this in the UK writ large (both major parties) and in the Dem leadership race in the US.
My collegues have been discussing on what is most surprising about the downfall of Trudeau.
Everyone agrees that he lacked the intelligence.
Everyone agrees he had no morals.
Everyone agrees he was corrupt.
This was all known before the election - and he still got elected.

I think it's his misogyny that is most surprising. This is what was not known before.
He made equal numbers of woman Cabinet Ministers, but I think it was 3 that were Ministers without portfolio - essentially women in Cabinet in name only, but whom he doesn't trust to handle a file.
Then there was the groping scandal of Rose Knight, where he continued to lie and force Rose out of hiding to make a statement.
Then there was this case where he continued to belittle JWR (Jody) while he was gagged by Lawyer-Client and Cabinet confidence.
Then parading women (including his daughter) in front of him to deflect from the scandal.
He uses women like chattel.

The issue is the Conservatives are wondering what to do...

Hope Trudeau is further weakened and take advantage to beat him in an election.

Or Hope he resigns and fights against a new leader which is a wildcard.

Be honest for a lot of Conservatives I wonder if they would take Trudeau resigning in a scandal is worth being the opposition for a few more years?

Problem the Liberals will now have - which MP continued to support the corrupt Trudeau. So far, only 3 people can hold their heads high. And then would would vote Liberal when 90% of the MP's (including Freeland, who bungled the NAFTA negotiations) continue to support corruption. It's back to the same situation as with the NDP and Thomas Mulcair. Then leader may be ok, the the team are completely untrustworthy and not worthy of running anything.

MP's here are super loyal to their leader. The most rebellious one would still vote with the party 98% of the time. This isn't like the US, where people call out their party more.

She doesn't present a "story". She's presenting facts open to being challenged. She's been meticulous in presenting them as facts, with vastly more substantiation than anyone else. She's being noted in the int'l press for this, and I've sent record of her testimony to lawyers/solicitors/barrister associates in both the US and the UK as her 'performance' is so incredibly above being 'political'. It's legalese at its finest. And it stands so in the vacuum of the horrendous present state of politics in the three nations mentioned.

"Let the record show..."

She is a practiced litigator and it showed during her testimony. A calm and organized presentation backed by notes, specific references, names, times, times, etc. Those on 'the other side' will have 'recollections' and, when convenient, memory lapses It's not uncommon for players in this game and others to purposely not keep notes so they can't be subpoenaed or otherwise come back to bite them; accountability can be denied, deflected or spread out. The credibility of a case is just as important in the court of public opinion as it is in the court of law.

She is a practiced litigator and it showed during her testimony. A calm and organized presentation backed by notes, specific references, names, times, times, etc. Those on 'the other side' will have 'recollections' and, when convenient, memory lapses It's not uncommon for players in this game and others to purposely not keep notes so they can't be subpoenaed or otherwise come back to bite them; accountability can be denied, deflected or spread out. The credibility of a case is just as important in the court of public opinion as it is in the court of law.
You've caught it exactly. This could be science as much as law. She's taken meticulous notes. I've been watching and reading a number of articles, and this is a recurring point from many quality journalists. It's not her "story'...it's her fastidious notes. And she's won over the majority of 'normal people' polled as well as objective journos.

Beyond this, I continue to be intrigued on how this appears to be a gender weighted movement in western politics right now. And it isn't 'feminism' per-se, it's more the unwillingness to play along with 'what's expected' from paternalistic institutions, and just 'do what's right'.

I like it, I like it a lot. The upheaval of the 'status quo' is going to be rough, but it has to happen.

There is a corner of my brain that thinks JWR harboured some frustration during her time in cabinet. She entered politics with an agenda - which is not in and of itself a bad thing - we all have agendas - to advance aboriginal issues and perhaps was frustrated that not enough of an 'aboriginal lens' was used in the government's platform. As they say, politics is the art of the possible. She advocated for a constitutional amendment for aboriginal issues. She might be frustrated that the government wasn't more proactive in this regard, but an expectation of constitutional action might have been a tad naive. We're Canada - we don't do 'constitutional' well. Also, aboriginal issues are not monolithic. There are 'nations' that are on both sides of both the pipeline and Indian Act issues.

Back