News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 399     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Sir John was Scottish. My high school was named after him.

That was a lot of scandals under Harper. I was a big fan of his at the time too.

Last edited:
Sir John was Scottish. My high school was named after him.
He was also a racist, drunk and liar: (today he'd be tried for Crimes Against Humanity, amongst other things)
The scandal led to the resignation of Canada's first Prime Minister, Sir John A. Macdonald, and a transfer of power from his Conservative government to a Liberal government led by Alexander Mackenzie.
Pacific Scandal - Wikipedia
And he certainly wasn't from Quebec.

Sir John A Macdonald's prints are all over the SNC-Lavalin ...
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/.../article-sir-john-a-macdonalds-prints-are-all-over...

Just blame Sir John A. Macdonald for the political controversy now swirling through Ottawa.

It was Canada’s first Prime Minister who fused the jobs of attorney-general and minister of justice under one office, endowing the role with a tension that erupted into full public view during Jody Wilson-Raybould’s testimony before the House of Commons justice committee on Wednesday.

“The two hats that the minister of justice and the attorney-general wears here in our country are completely different," she said, “and I think there would be merit to talking about having those as two separate individuals.”

The pressure within the job comes from its sometimes contradictory demands. The minister of justice is expected to sit in cabinet and provide confidential policy advice – an inherently political job. The attorney-general is the country’s chief law officer, responsible for conducting litigation and upholding the rule of law, the Constitution and courts – a position requiring independence from politics.[...]

Last edited:
Imagine if they had social media back in the day!
lol...well they did, but it took a year to get a message out, and a year to get a reply...if it made it at all.

Sir John A's statues, if we hold ourselves to the same values that US Southerners now are, should be torn down.
[...]
1. During the American Civil War (1861 to 1865), Montreal served as refuge to Confederates — southern Americans who wanted to keep slavery and secede from the United States union. The Southern slavers found a friend in John A. Macdonald.

From historian Stanley Ryerson we learn of the political sympathies towards the southern Confederacy of John A. Macdonald. Macdonald was the hired advocate for an organization of vigilantes committed to "peace" through support for the South. One of these Copperhead conspirators, a man named Headley [...], set fire to a dozen large hotels in November of 1864, hoping to create panic in the North and divert military efforts. In his memoirs, Headley writes:
[...]
Macdonald justified taking the vote away from anyone "of Mongolian or Chinese race" in the Electoral Franchise Act — he called it "my greatest achievement."

4. John A. Macdonald was way more racist than his contemporaries.

For John A. Macdonald, Canada was to be the country that restored a pure Aryan race to its past glory. Lest it be thought that Macdonald was merely expressing the prejudices of the age, it should be noted that his were among the most extreme views of his era. According to Timothy J. Stanley's research, he was the only politician in the parliamentary debates to refer to Canada as "Aryan" and to justify legalized racism on the basis not of alleged cultural practices but on the grounds that "Chinese" and "Aryans" were separate species.

5. John A. Macdonald's policies of forced starvation helped clear First Nations from the prairies in order to build the railway, according to James Daschuk of University of Regina. An excerpt from his book, Clearing the Plains: Disease, Politics of Starvation and the Loss of Aboriginal Life:

For years, government officials withheld food from aboriginal people until they moved to their appointed reserves, forcing them to trade freedom for rations. Once on reserves, food placed in ration houses was withheld for so long that much of it rotted while the people it was intended to feed fell into a decades-long cycle of malnutrition, suppressed immunity and sickness from tuberculosis and other diseases. Thousands died.
[...and so on...]

lol...well they did, but it took a year to get a message out, and a year to get a reply...if it made it at all.

Sir John A's statues, if we hold ourselves to the same values that US Southerners now are, should be torn down.

Not to mention statues to that bastard Abraham Lincoln. He wanted to ship American blacks back to Africa. Racist scumbag...

I think unlike USA we dont lionize Sir John A. Macdonald because he was our first leader.

I think he is noteworthy for confederation but he was of course deeply flawed.

Anyone with any sense of history knows History is not shaped by only 'good people'

Anyone with any sense of history knows History is not shaped by only 'good people'

I think this is an important statement.

It is possible to teach history, and to recognize the importance of someone's role in it, without exalting them or excusing their flaws.

All of history is made up of discussing 'victors' be they states or their leaders, as well as credited inventors to a lesser degree.

We invariably oversell the achievement of said victors who largely got to write their own history, and undersell the contributions of the conquered, out competed, unlucky or marginalized.

That doesn't mean we should either omit the 'victors' from history, nor belittle their contributions.........rather we should contextualize them, wherever possible, and make a conscious effort to more inclusively
describe the roles of others in forming the world we live in today.

"History is written by the victors". Or is it?
Imagine if they had social media back in the day!
[...]
It is a mistake, however, to assume that only the “winners” of history have the power to manipulate the past to attain their present-day goals. This is especially the case in an age where the internet wields enormous potential for a person from any walk of life to build a powerful platform for spouting their beliefs and opinions. We must do away with this fiction that history is only written by the winners.
[...]
Exploring the Past
Reading, Thinking, and Blogging about History
Bad Historical Thinking: “History is Written By the Victors”
Nick Sacco Civil War Era History, History and Memory, The Methods of History, Thinking Out Loud February 15, 2016

In this instance with JWR, they could well have hung her, and no-one could/would know the difference. In the event, history appears to have turned a corner.
STAR EXCLUSIVE
Majority of poll respondents say opinion of Justin Trudeau ‘worsened’ by SNC-Lavalin scandal

As a sub-string of this forum, I wonder if Justin steps down, and JWR steps up to leadership?

"History is written by the victors". Or is it?

Exploring the Past
Reading, Thinking, and Blogging about History
Bad Historical Thinking: “History is Written By the Victors”
Nick Sacco Civil War Era History, History and Memory, The Methods of History, Thinking Out Loud February 15, 2016

Interesting piece, but I disagree with him respectfully, because I think he incorrectly defines 'winners'. His prinicple exemplar is around how the 'losing' side in the US Civil war established a narrative
that lasted in the US South.

But in that context, the US South was still 'controlled' by the US South, excepting abolition itself.

So the 'losers' retained control over their own governments, and over education. Moreover it was the power structure of the South, propertied, white, men who retained power and actually fit the established narrative.

In this instance with JWR, they could well have hung her, and no-one could/would know the difference. In the event, history appears to have turned a corner.
STAR EXCLUSIVE
Majority of poll respondents say opinion of Justin Trudeau ‘worsened’ by SNC-Lavalin scandal

As a sub-string of this forum, I wonder if Justin steps down, and JWR steps up to leadership?

Ah.....but then JWR will be the victor............and the herstory...will be hers to write.

This situation is still in the present.

I think he incorrectly defines 'winners'.
Author writes:
(I know that “Winners” is a vague and ill-defined term in this context, but I will set aside any long-winded attempt at a definition for this post).

I don't wish to diverge too far from the topic surmise, but this aspect is relevant to JWR, especially as being articulated by Canada's First Nations, and mostly so on the West Coast:
Tearing down Confederate statues leaves structural racism intact
Confederate Monuments Are Coming Down Across the United States

I'll wait until the next chapters are written in the continuing cmte saga to see where this may fall.
Ah.....but then JWR will be the victor............and the herstory...will be hers to write.
She doesn't present a "story". She's presenting facts open to being challenged. She's been meticulous in presenting them as facts, with vastly more substantiation than anyone else. She's being noted in the int'l press for this, and I've sent record of her testimony to lawyers/solicitors/barrister associates in both the US and the UK as her 'performance' is so incredibly above being 'political'. It's legalese at its finest. And it stands so in the vacuum of the horrendous present state of politics in the three nations mentioned.

"Let the record show..."

Addendum: Serendipity! I was just glancing at today's Times of London, and see this:
From our readers
I would add that you should never be afraid to be different. I used to tell my child that it is better to be a wolf than a sheep.
GKV adds to the advice given to young women by some of our writers ahead of International Women's Day
Read the full story >

Last edited:
Author writes:

I don't wish to diverge too far from the topic surmise, but this aspect is relevant to JWR, especially as being articulated by Canada's First Nations, and mostly so on the West Coast:
Tearing down Confederate statues leaves structural racism intact
Confederate Monuments Are Coming Down Across the United States

I'll wait until the next chapters are written in the continuing cmte saga to see where this may fall.

She doesn't present a "story". She's presenting facts open to being challenged. She's been meticulous in presenting them as facts, with vastly more substantiation than anyone else. She's being noted in the int'l press for this, and I've sent record of her testimony to lawyers/solicitors/barrister associates in both the US and the UK as her 'performance' is so incredibly above being 'political'. It's legalese at its finest. And it stands so in the vacuum of the horrendous present state of politics in the three nations mentioned.

"Let the record show..."

I agree that her testimony is or certainly appears to be factual and have posted such already.

The definition of story I was using took nothing away from that:

an account of past events in someone's life or in the evolution of something.
"the story of modern farming"

• a particular person's representation of the facts of a matter, especially as given in self-defense.
    "during police interviews, Harper changed his story"

synonyms:testimony, statement, report, account, version, description, representation
    "Harper changed his story about how the fire started"

We're down to semantics, but the term "Speak Truth to Power" has been used prolifically in this case, and continues to be so:

Why Jody Wilson-Raybould was destined to speak truth to power

Wilson-Raybould’s Crown prosecutor roots are a reason she speaks her truth to power
DAVID BUTT
SPECIAL TO THE GLOBE AND MAIL
PUBLISHED 3 DAYS AGO UPDATED 3 DAYS AGO

David Butt is a Toronto-based criminal lawyer and former prosecutor.

[...]
Because what is driving them couldn’t be more important. Inside Canadian Crown prosecutors’ offices is something we should all know about and value: a deeply entrenched ethic of independence, and an equally deeply entrenched ethic of making decisions on how to prosecute criminal cases based solely on the evidence and the law. It is not flashy, it is not necessarily politically saleable, but it is grounded in deep respect for the rule of law. Such is the commitment to independence in Crown prosecutors’ offices that even the lowliest junior prosecutor is empowered to make their own independent decisions about how to prosecute their cases, free from any obligation to follow direction from even the most powerful political office holder who might, and who occasionally has, picked up the phone to try to exert influence.

The twin notions of rigorously independent decision making and respect for the rule of law are held in such high regard that in most Crown prosecutors’ offices there exists something close to disdain for the often empty, ever-mutating and frustratingly loose rhetoric that characterizes much partisan political discourse. In other words, the world of the prosecutor and the world of the politician are themselves worlds apart.

The dramatic gulf between the professional lives of prosecutors and politicians is no accident. It is carefully cultivated to commendable degrees in Canada because it is nothing less than one of the very best indicators of the health of a democracy.

Every dictator worth his salt uses the instruments of criminal justice – police, prosecutors and judges – to pursue his own self-aggrandizing ends by imprisoning (or worse) political opponents. So conversely, the health of any contemporary principled democracy worthy of the name will be largely defined by the extent to which those agencies of criminal justice function independently of interference from political office holders.

This crucial indicator of the health of a democracy cannot be measured by reading the laws in place mandating separation of prosecutors and politicians. Writing those laws is easy; and disregarding them easier still. Rather, the health of a democracy can be measured in this regard only by looking at the daily functioning of prosecutors’ offices, and whether those offices maintain a culture of independence from political interference.

It is perhaps frightening to think that something so essential as the vibrancy of democratic life in such a large and stable country depends so heavily on something as inscrutable and intangible as the cultural values inside a bunch of obscure government offices. But such is the fragility of democracy. And the better we understand that fragility, and are vigilant around it, the safer we will be.

In this context, Ms. Wilson-Raybould’s sacrifice of her political career could not have happened in a more principled way or for a more important cause.
[...]

I must leave it at that. JWR is not a "victor". She's a prosecutor, and conducts herself as such.

Back