News   Jul 15, 2024
 413     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 537     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

As suspected, there is more to the story.

Kevin Libin: Trudeau stumbled into a trade war. That isn’t all Trump’s fault

Largely missed in the sudden and furious reaction to Trump’s salty tweets Sunday was a report by CBC’s Rob Russo on The National that night, which clarifies just how wonderfully it appears trade talks were going between Canada and the U.S. That is, until Trudeau held his post-G7 press conference to remind Trump that Canada would “not be pushed around” by any American president and called the president’s treatment of Canada “kind of insulting.”

Trudeau wasn’t wrong, of course, but his comments were clearly ill-timed. Russo reported that Trump had offered a major giveaway to Trudeau in a NAFTA meeting on the G7 sidelines, finally agreeing to waive his longstanding demand for a sunset clause, the automatic expiry of the deal if it wasn’t renewed every five years, which had been one of the last sticking points. Russo said that Trump’s sudden concession was “surprising (to) his own chief negotiator, according to people who were there, and people (there) think that it’s great.” At the end of the summit, with a NAFTA deal perhaps within grasp, the celebrating was underway. Then came the news conference.
. . .
And after Kim and Trump’s cordial summit, Canada might just rank as the country least able to get along with the U.S. right now. That can’t just be Trump’s fault. From throwing a stink bomb into NAFTA talks with their “progressive” demands, to bringing in protectionist union leader Jerry Dias to consult on the negotiations, to their defiant defence of the unjustified tariff wall protecting Canada’s dairy barons, the Liberals have not done an excellent job of figuring out how to make a deal with a man who literally loves nothing more than making deals. After nearly a year of discussions, things seem at an all-time low. That cannot be blamed all on one man.
So it basically sound like Trump was right, that USA had made concessions and negotiations were going well. Then as soon as Trump left, Trudeau chose to flex his muscle and criticize the US negotiations.

It looks like Trudeau is taking advantage of the Trump hatred that is rampant in Canada in order to score political points with the electorate at the expense of the economy.

Why are Canadian conservatives siding with Trump over their own country? If only there was a snitch line to call for such barbaric practices....

Why are Canadian conservatives siding with Trump over their own country? If only there was a snitch line to call for such barbaric practices....
Conservatives are actually giving Trudeau the benefit of the doubt.
As the truth appears to be leaking out, it is clear that Trudeau is siding against his own country - just to have a campaign theme for next year.

Conservatives are actually giving Trudeau the benefit of the doubt.
As the truth appears to be leaking out, it is clear that Trudeau is siding against his own country - just to have a campaign theme for next year.

It always takes a partisan to side with an abomination such as Trump; and besides, is it the same guy that came up with this just a short while ago?

http://business.financialpost.com/o...-us-election-results-might-be-good-for-canada

Some truths, that. And it isn't like we didn't know Trump have a tendency to play games and act suddenly to attempt to put his adversaries off-guard - to take those grand pronunciations of negotiation going great at face value is fundamentally unwise - this is the guy who ripped up an agreement that withstood quarter of a century without a second thought, and we're supposed to buy that the animus is from our side? Remember who brought us there in the first place.

The truth of the matter is, I wouldn't even trust an agreement with this one even if he signed it with his pus and swore his spawn upon it - all it takes is a bad Big Mac or some need to wag political dog to have ourselves back as a whipping post. Bootlickers can believe otherwise.

AoD

Last edited:
It always takes a partisan to side with an abomination such as Trump; and besides, is it the same guy that came up with this just a short while ago?

http://business.financialpost.com/o...-us-election-results-might-be-good-for-canada

Some truths, that. And it isn't like we didn't know Trump have a tendency to play games and act suddenly to attempt to put his adversaries off-guard - to take those grand pronunciations of negotiation going great at face value is fundamentally unwise - this is the guy who ripped up an agreement that withstood quarter of a century without a second thought, and we're supposed to buy that the animus is from our side? Remember who brought us there in the first place.

The truth of the matter is, I wouldn't even trust an agreement with this one even if he signed it with his pus and swore his spawn upon it - all it takes is a bad Big Mac or some need to wag political dog to have ourselves back as a whipping post. Bootlickers can believe otherwise.

AoD

I earlier posted, then deleted a response to the same post.

On reflection, I will only say I am deeply disheartened by the thoughtlessness of some people. (and in this particular case, Trudeau is not the person of whom I speak)

I’m supporting Trump’s call to end supply management because government-sponsored producer cartels are bad for the vast majority of Canadians. And please, let’s not confuse this with health and safety. If there’s a strong case to ban milk from cows ingesting bovine growth hormones we can do that without resorting the absurdity of a protectionist system that basically blocks imports from every other country. Last time I checked, they weren’t dying like flies in Australia and New Zealand and France.

I’m supporting Trump’s call to end supply management because government-sponsored producer cartels are bad for the vast majority of Canadians. And please, let’s not confuse this with health and safety. If there’s a strong case to ban milk from cows ingesting bovine growth hormones we can do that without resorting the absurdity of a protectionist system that basically blocks imports from every other country. Last time I checked, they weren’t dying like flies in Australia and New Zealand and France.

I'm fine w/what you've said above w/this proviso:

The US industry is subsidized by their Federal government to the tune of 73% of the price; they even have a 'reserve' of American Cheese that's government owned; that being the case, in the absence of US subsidies being eliminated, Canada will have to provide a minimum subsidy of $4B to the industry every year.

I trust you'll be happy to personally underwrite that tab, as I don't wish to subsidize it through my taxes. If we're subsidizing agriculture, then I vote for Pinot Noir makers, and Striploin rancher/producers.

Assuming you prefer the US to end its subsidies, studies show that would raise the cost of a gallon of milk in the US to just over $6, or slightly more expensive than ours, as well as drastically raise the cost of their cheese, and therefore pizzas as well.

I don't mind this idea at all; but I suspect Members of Congress may be differently attuned to what the US electorate/consumer would think of that.

Not to mention dairy producers who would likely see sales plummet and cattle de-valued by 1/2.

Agreed - free trade and free markets means no subsidies, and if the US won’t drop them then I’d reluctantly keep their dairy products out. Though if US taxpayers wanted to subsidize Canadian dairy consumers, one could make a decent case. But we ban dairy and poultry products from the whole world, not just the US. I believe NZ and Oz are completely free market in dairy at least, and I’d like the Government of Canada to stop denying you and me the freedom to buy their products.

BTW as a long time Conservative donor I’ve written the Party to tell them I’m not giving another cent until they climb down from supporting a system completely opposed to their stated principles. Not that it will make any difference of course. Supply management is the hill we all die on.

Agreed - free trade and free markets means no subsidies, and if the US won’t drop them then I’d reluctantly keep their dairy products out. Though if US taxpayers wanted to subsidize Canadian dairy consumers, one could make a decent case. But we ban dairy and poultry products from the whole world, not just the US. I believe NZ and Oz are completely free market in dairy at least, and I’d like the Government of Canada to stop denying you and me the freedom to buy their products.

BTW as a long time Conservative donor I’ve written the Party to tell them I’m not giving another cent until they climb down from supporting a system completely opposed to their stated principles. Not that it will make any difference of course. Supply management is the hill we all die on.

Australia and New Zealand both previously had supply management and both ended in a few years back.

Both also experienced an industry crisis in 2016/17 threatening mass bankruptcy.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/77...lled-milk-New-Zealands-dairy-crisis-explained.

Turns out, above and beyond the problems of domestic production growth beyond demand, the Chinese (China) don't play fair.

They bought lots of product in the early years following deregulation in Aus and NZ and the stockpiled it.

That plus a the Crimea crisis when Russia banned EU dairy, and the product flooded into China instead (remember EU product is subsidized).....

Well....you see the problem.

Nah, they need to support that system to get votes. Cynical but true.

You’re right. Almost everything is more expensive there.

One of my besties lives in Perth now (don't ask me why, the place is a giant suburban wasteland) and some of the prices she tells me about are hilarious. Rents are cheap though, especially given their wages there. I'd be balling out of control with the rents they have over there.

It looks like Trudeau is taking advantage of the Trump hatred that is rampant in Canada in order to score political points with the electorate at the expense of the economy.

This wouldn't exactly be surprising if in fact it were found to be the case.

Back