News   May 08, 2024
 306     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 645     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.4K     3 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Maybe if people stopped purchasing $800K one-bedrooms, things would get better. I would be more willing to blame the lack of investment in social housing ("affordable" housing as currently defined is hardly affordable), and the govt doesn't set monetary policy other than the general guideline of keeping inflation low.
How do you stop purchasing homes? Should we also stop paying rent? People have to live in something.

The federal government doesn't control the Bank of Canada (thank goodness), but they do control immigration and idiotic policies like the FHSA.

When Trudeau said on April 2nd that immigration was too high, I did a double take - who does the LPC think set immigration levels?

Maybe if people stopped purchasing $800K one-bedrooms, things would get better.

You don't seem to understand why those condos are $800k. Do you get how supply and demand works? What do you think happens when we combine population growth of 1M per year with a quarter million homes being built nationally and two decades of low rates (even today's rates are lower than the 90s)?

When Trudeau said on April 2nd that immigration was too high, I did a double take - who does the LPC think set immigration levels?

And then they offered up a token cut that will take three years to reduce the ratio of temporary residents. They aren't even talking absolute numbers.

I dunno if Galen Weston personally gave Trudeau a briefcase full of cash or a Bitcoin wallet with millions, but that's the only possible explanation I can think of, for this government's absolute insistence on high immigration at all costs. Including while youth unemployment is rising.

People can’t exactly stop securing housing, and if an 800,000 one bedroom is the best option, they’ll take it. You can rent for cheaper, but then you’re giving up huge tax favouritism (basically, your second retirement account sheltered from any taxes) so it may not be cheaper long term.

Back