News   Sep 06, 2024
 893     6 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 458     0 

Pearson T1 - Pier F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Terminal 1

Well that's larger than Atlanta- which is around 3,700 acres. i suspect most of us will be long dead before another major airport is required.

My rough estimate would be 2500 to 3000 acres.

Actually, on Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport's official website, they say they have 4700 acres, 5 runways of 9,000 feet in length or longer, and served 85.9 million passengers in 2005.

thorough 42

I got my figure from some US survey of airports- Chicago at 7,700; Dallas at 18,000, and Denver at a whopping 33,920 acres. Mirabel is 16,220 and Trudeau, from what I can tell from cursory searches on the net, is around 3,200.

It looks like the 4700 acre figure for Atlanta is new: over the last few years much land was expropriated south of the airport so a fifth runway could be built. If you go to Google Earth, you'll see that the aerial shots are from the time that construction on it was getting going. Turn on the roads layer and you'll see the re-routing of various roads that took place to accommodate the runway, and you'll see the huge number of buildings that had to come down too. Atlanta Airport's website has a substantial section on Runway 5 - view the timeline to get a detailed description of the amount of work required to build the thing. Over $1.2 billion US was spent on the runway, and that included constructing an embankment that is as high as 11 "storeys" in some places (a storey is not a unit, dammit), and constructing a tunnel for I-285 to pass under the new runway. Huge freakin' project...

impressed 42

Here's a few pics from Jan 31, 2nd day of operation at Pier F....

transborder check-in...

31Jan117T1UACkIn.jpg

31Jan118T1ACIntlCkIn.jpg

31Jan119PierFWestSide.jpg

31Jan121T1PierFEastSide.jpg

31Jan126T1USADepartureLevel.jpg

some of the retail in pier f..

31Jan129T1HHFStores.jpg

31Jan136T1HHFDutyFree.jpg

31Jan138T1ViewFrom180.jpg

Hopefully will get more pics soon..

Nice pics, the rum bar is making me thirsty and wishing for a holiday. So is the development of Pearson pretty much completed for now?

yep, that's about it for now...T2 will be demolished over the summer, and there are rumours of a possible new cargo facility along Derry Rd., but as far as the terminal goes, that should be it for a few years....

I've only been through the new terminal twice but from what I have seen so far, including the pics on this forum, I think they have done a superb job. It is actually quite remarkable, considering the scale of the project, that it wasn't fraught with delays and problems.

Thanks yyz, for the whole Airport Redevelopment Photography Program. Your work here is done.

Whoa there SNF: yyzer is not done until he can drop us a hyperlink for a YouTube vid of the new variable high-speed moving walkway. Then he's done, and discharged with thanks.

Well we can't just let him put on his white hat and ride off into the sunset ...

He's gotta fix up the port lands next.

Shame about the railings at the bacardi bar. Looks a bit budget. You'd think for a funky bar area they might have used something like some nice frosted glass instead of making it look like a zoo.

The rest of the terminal looks great though. How do you get up to that area overlooking the terminal? Is that the first class lounge?

yyzer is not done until he can drop us a hyperlink for a YouTube vid of the new variable high-speed moving walkway. Then he's done, and discharged with thanks.

lol, glad to be of service! :hat

babel, I wish I had some input regarding the portlands!...the Pearson redevelopment was really driven by the vision of one guy, Lou Turpen, who, in his autocratic way, made it happen. I fear there is too much democracy involved in the waterfront/portlands projects, but that's another story...

How do you get up to that area overlooking the terminal?

Most of the pics posted here are through the kindness of a GTAA insider friend of mine, who wishes to remain anonymous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back