News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 605     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Park Place Condominiums (Brampton Downtown, Inzola, 27s, P+S) COMPLETE

I took this from the GO Train yesterday on my way to Georgetown. The tinting on the train windows makes less than a perfect pic, but it shows a fine form. This is a winner.

4498468775_c22b5db207_b.jpg

Agreed! This is easily the best tower going up in Brampton. P+S are often unfairly maligned on this forum.

Well, neither you nor I, nor anyone else here will ever be in full agreement on every building... but you and I do share a taste for good, simple, modernism most often typified in this city by aA's buildings. For me, that appealing clean modernism also extends to P+S's The Met and Encore, which I think make good use of their site and make for interesting points on the skyline and streetscapes in the area. You might not agree. I also think that P+S's MuseumHouse looks like it will be quite decent, and I believe they did a perfect job of repurposing 112 St. Clair West from offices to residential.

...and then there's P+S's The Shores condo, now under construction in Oakville, which if finished the way the renders promise, will be amongst the very best and appropriately nautical modern designs anywhere on Lake Ontario.

Getting away from the modernism, I really like their Prince Arthur. It's bricks and it's cornices and it's cupolas and it's domes... and it's nothing I normally like, but it all works for me, crowned by the arch at the west end of Yorkville Avenue. Compare that with Turner Fleischer's Regency Yorkville a block east which takes the same stylistic approach in many ways, and fails with most of them. I may not like the style overall, but I think P+S know how to pull it off. (That said, P+S are also responsible for the Cheddington, One Post Road, and Mount Pleasant Road's Chateau Royale, all of which are over the top and beyond the pale. Since I know P+S can rein in the ornamentation, those three projects tell me that the developer was the driving force behind the excesses displayed on those buildings. P+S is a big firm, and employees have to eat, so sometimes you design what you might not be inclined to were you pulling all of the strings.)

P+S get lots of this right: they certainly have here. Not everything they put up I like, so I'd say sometimes they are fairly maligned (if you can be fair when maligning), but I don't believe P+S deserves the general shellacking that they often get on this forum.

Fair enough. However, all those condos you mention, perhaps the Shores excepted, I think are poo. I sometimes wonder if P+S has a binder full of doodads they just tack onto their buildings. I'm not certain P+S even employs architects.... An architect friend of mine agrees with me. (I'll know for certain sometime later this decade, when I get my architecture degree.)

When you and your architect friend are agreeing with each other that P+S does not employ architects, you're really just stroking each other off, and no future architecture degree will change that.

Just as there's a "Good Quadrangle/Bad Quadrangle" duality ( and, I've regretfully come to believe, a "Good HP/Bad HP" duality ... ) so there's clearly a "Good P+S/Bad P+S" one. Indeed, how many firms rigorously apply the Do Not Bend principle? aA? D+S? Teeple? KPMB?

Hello folks, does anybody have any first hand experience or opinions on this building? This is one of a few we are looking at purchasing in (another being the Renaissance)

Thanks for your time !!

Back